1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3-19, 21, 3, & 8!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sir scarvajal, Apr 19, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

The above line reveals shots made-attempted, rebounds, blocks, and fouls accumulated by our frontline in a game we won by nine points . If there ever was an illustration of how sorry our front-court is, and what a completely devastating young backcourt we have, this is it.

I am not trying to pick on Walt, Kenny, Cato and Miller, but just showing the collection of them is just so obviously inadequate. Further, it is no accident that we have beaten Seattle, Utah, Pheonix, Portland in the last week or so. To me this is quite encouraging, it shows to me that if we can just put in the right piece (or pieces) to make an average front-line we will send shutters throughout the league. Heaven forbid we put together a "good" front-line while keeping our core of young guards together.

I don't think we need miracles here, just a good draft pick and a good FA signing in the right places, and we will be back in the playoff mix next year with a limitless potential the next 7 to 10.

------------------

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

i thought you were giving out winning lotto numbers.

i agree front-court is the priority and I think trading for Rashard Lewis may be the answer.

trade
    Draft pick + Thomas + Drew = Lewis?

SF: Williams/Bullard
    PF: Lewis/Rogers
    C: Cato/Olajuwon
    PG: Francis/Norris
    SG: Anderson/Mobley

3. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Two guys that really increased my stock in them--and probably every GM in the league--this week are Lewis and Tim Thomas. Thomas got Milwalkee in the playoffs, Lewis (with a little help from The Glove) got Seattle away from a first round sweep to the Lakers. Both players were extremely impressive with a lot of marbles on the ground. Even if there was only a slim chance we could have pulled an under-the-radar snatching of one of these guys before this week play, now every GM who isn't in Oregon or NY is going to think at least a little bit on these guys.

If we could resign Mobley with a two year early bird (around 9 mil total), sign Lewis, T. Thomas, Croshere, Amaeche, B. Miller, or J. Thomas for our mid-class exemeption (around 2.5 mil yearly) and draft Etan Thomas, K. Johnson, Moiso, M. Miller or Pryzbella, I would call it a fine offseason and look forward to the playoffs next year.

Then we sign Webber or Finley in 2001 and get ready to do some serious damage in the rest of the decade.

------------------

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Scarv, why do you keep listing Amaechi as one of your hot commodities for next year? Not only will the guy be 30 by next year, but his rebounding numbers are terrible, and he's said (SI article) he's only playing basketball until he saves up enough money to pay for a p.h.d. Doc Rivers has everybody on that Orlando team over-achieving, but even given that fact, I still don't see the fascination with Amaechi.

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

5. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Freak, yeah Amaechi should be dropped from the list. I had no idea he was 30, I guess I had thought he was a young find by the Orlando brass--obviously I didn't look at him that closely and didn't know his background. I had noticed he seemed to have more of a penchant for scoring (PPM) than their other front-line people, who seem to perform adequately as a group. I had also looked at Outlaw and Wallace as possibilities, either of whom can do some things and is a nice bench guy. I guess none of the front-line people from Orlando are worth much attention (say relative to the Thomas's, Croshere or Lewis), though I like Outlaw the best. I would pursue Outlaw if nothing else worked out with players somewhat more well rounded at both ends of the court, but I don't see Bo as ever more than an extremely useful speciality player off the bench (though I would gladly offer our lower-level FA salary slot, though I don't think he would take it). With our middle-class exemption, I am hoping to find one with stronger "starter" material--either solid all-around skills or high potential.

------------------

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sir --

Honest mistake. I'd love to have Outlaw, but I don't see him as someone Orlando would give up at any cost.

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

I think a guy who's been forgotten this year is Gary Trent. I don't think Dallas will look to re-sign him with the development of Nowitzki at PF. Maybe he will come for the middle-class exemption? Or we could arrange a sign and trade with The Mavs for Drew and Thomas.

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I haven't forgotten Trent. I live in Dallas. I don't think Trent would sign for anything less than double what he makes now. He was wavering last year due to a lot of teams requesting his services. Don Nelson had to send him and his family on a trip to Maui and he was fined by the league for it. Trent stayed, but I think reluctantly. He was also told he was going to be "the man down low" for the Mavs.

I would love him in a Rockets uni. He was injured all year, so maybe he won't have any better offers on the table. Who knows....

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

9. payaso

payaso Member

Give me GHill and frankly, who cares if Cato is serious about getting better? For all I care he could be working on cattle futures buying strategies out on the court as long as the cheetahs ('Chise, Mobes, ShandyAndy, GHill) are leaving trails of flame on defenders in transition.

IS THERE a quality running post player acquirable by the rocks? (Duncan's going to Orlando)

------------------
    "We have no eternal
    allies and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and
    perpetual."

10. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I have always been a Trent fan, I would love to have him on the front line, but only if he were to come cheap, around 2-3 mil a year. He's a great player and when given consistent PT has produced only problem is he has been injury prone the past few seasons

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day