1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Simple temperature check for the rest of the season.

Feel free to change your vote (you can do that on the new BBS!) if the team starts looking better or worse as the year progresses.

As for me, right now, I've seen enough.

**to clarify**

At this point I don't believe that this team is going to perform well enough the rest of this year to warrant retaining BOB. I think we may sneak into the playoffs again, undeservedly, and get stomped again, deservedly. This is not a referendum on Osweiler, but purely on BOB and his staff. Even though I say I've seen enough "right now", I'm not advocating firing him "right now" (firing a coach midseason is basically pissing into the wind)... but rather my money is on us needing to clean house at the end of this season.

tl;dr - if you feel that BOB should/will be fired at the end of this year vote "yes", if you think he shouldn't/won't vote "no", otherwise click "abstain".

#1 DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    bcast89 likes this.
  2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

This is going to be the new "Fire McHale" thread.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They need to fire having games that look like **** one way or the other on Thursday nights.

Cstyle42 likes this.
  4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Isn't the home team record heavily skewed in TNF games?

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'll wait till after the season is done. No reason to fire a coach in the middle of a season, that's basically throwing in the towel for the season and despite it all...despite the whole context of that loss it is still a single loss. Lets see if Bill will learn from this and if he can get his team prepared for the next game and the ones after that.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don't think he should be fired, but given last night, as well as the Chiefs playoff game, and a few others of note, he has been responsible for some truly reprehensible performances; performances that are simply unacceptable for a team with even a moderate amount of talent.

I'm fine with losing some games. That'll happen. But to appear utterly incompetent?

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

He (and presumably Smith) has now hitched his wagon to Osweiller. If Osweiller isn't the franchise qb they are all gone at the end of next season when his Osweiller's guaranteed money is done and O'Brien's contract is over.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

If he plays like he has the first couple of weeks(granted new offense, missing starters on O-line, people getting acclimated to the offense), then it's a sure thing they are all gone and you start from scratch. Team is too talented to play like how we did last night

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No way. Remember that this same owner gave Kubiak 7 years, and Kub didn't even make the playoffs in his first 4 seasons.

I just wish, for the love of God, that they would draft a ****ing QB in at least the 2nd or 3rd round every couple of years. Every team that doesn't have a sure-fire top tier QB should be doing this until they know they have one, granted they aren't completely reaching with the pick. The freakin Patriots have the best QB of our generation and have drafted a 2nd rd QB and 3rd rd QB in the last three drafts. If Brock turns out great, cool, you can flip the drafted QB for at minimum the same type of pick that you used on him if he shows anything at all in preseason or in backup duty. Keep doing this until you find your Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, etc.

Jake Tower likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm almost never on the "fire the coach" bandwagon but I don't like Bill O'Brien. I think he's better as an offensive coordinator rather than a guy who is making personnel decisions.

12. Buck Turgidson

So, did I miss anything last night?

DonnyMost likes this.
  13. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Agree 100%

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That's it right there. Its 10% players cuz they actually play and execute in games. Though the embarrassing showing is 90% coaching.

And really 100% coaching why the overall talent underpeforms so much. Osweiler might not be that good, but he isn't cant-cross-midfield shut out bad, which just so happened before he got here.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I like BOB as a coach. I think he has the right temperament to succeed, and I think the players respect him. He has a good work ethic, and he's obviously able to think a little outside the box. The issue is that too often, this time looks scared when the lights are brightest, or they come out completely lackluster and with no energy. There is a very real proclivity to getting our doors blown off, and it starts with offensive woes, continues with defensive miscues, and then ends with special teams gaffes. The one thing that truly has not happened yet under BOB's tenure is a start-to-finish dominant performance from all three facets of the game against a GOOD/GREAT team. We beat the teams we should beat, we lose to the teams we should lose to, and that's about it. I'm willing to give BOB the benefit of the doubt for this season, but I'd want his seat to be burning hot next year if we don't get out of the first round of the playoffs this year.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The O'Brien era has been earmarked with embarrassing loses with almost no virtuous wins.

The silly QB carousel. The utter curbstompings in big games. Getting punked by a flu-addled Matt Hasselbeck and a 3rd string rookie.

Bill O'Brien is the Tony Levine of Houston professional football.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've considered OBrien a good coach to date, however, this year is troubling me considerably. The stubbornness with regards to the running game is truly puzzling. Lamar Miller running 20+ times a game, consistently just straight forward into the line is pointless. He is not a power back. Asking him to plow forward and break tackles is such a waste of his talent and is particularly useless when you have an offensive line that gets almost no push on the interior.

I just can't understand it. If you are determined to run the ball behind the center and guard all game long, just let Alfred Blue due it. He can get you the same 3 yards without as much risk of injury or financial commitment.

Right now we are completely misusing our talent. The biggest weakness on offense is interior offensive line and we are throwing away drives "establishing" that we aren't afraid to run behind it lol.

Event last night the game could have been different if we hadn't wasted the first quarter+ with short drives where we determined to run the ball between the tackles.

18. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

It is crazy to fire him after 2 9-7 seasons even though 5 wins per year are in the division and then you can go 4-6 in other games. Going on the road to face a team that plays your offense and probably know exactly what is coming is the reason they killed us. Osweiller is slowly losing me. I thought he would be great but now I see why Denver let him go.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I still have plenty of hope for Osweiler after seeing him now, and I had low expectations coming in. He's able to make tough throws and put the ball in tight windows, at least giving Nuk a chance to make a play as he did several times last night. He throws the deep ball well. He doesn't crouch into the fetal position at the first sign of pressure. So all in all he looks like he can be at least better than what we had in Schaub which is all you can really ask from what we've seen. Have to correct the staring down of receivers and sharpen his decision making, I think that's all fixable though.

This is all behind a suspect o-line, too.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member