1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

25 Years of AIDS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jun 5, 2006.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Article from the NYTimes... but everyone should go back and read And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts... it's one of the most powerful books of the last 50 years.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great read...I can't believe its been that long...Everytime I see Magic, I think of AIDS...funny how things work...When ever you think you had a bad day, think again, it could be much worse...

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

When I had just finished packing my car for the trip to graduate school in VA in 1985, my Mom, who had been freaking for weeks because I was leaving Texas and would be more than an hour's drive away... and even worse, would be close to major metropolitan centers on the East Coast, called me aside and said, "We don't need anyone in the family coming down with AIDS." It kind of threw me until I realized it was nervousness about my departure coming through, so I came up with a response: "Mom, I'm not Haitian."

I count myself lucky in that I lived in a brief window at the end of the sexual revolution that conveniently dove-tailed with HS and College where you really only had to worry about unwanted pregnancies and mild stuff like crabs. Sounds like Deckard, among others, had a much wider window and much more fun. Still, it was a different mindset before AIDS that I was fortunate to experience.

I don't think anyone who didn't live through those first few years of the AIDS epidemic can fully understand what a huge deal it was and how it absolutely freaked people out. Not to mention the usual folks who tried to spin it for political gain. Amazing that we now, in so many ways, take it for granted or ignore it.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

There was a period from around 1989 and 1993 when I had 7 friends die (three within one year period). That was some strange times let me tell you. Everyone in the theater community in Houston in the late 80s, early 90s were freakin'.

peace

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Man... I remember the Haitian connection too. Haitians and gay men. It was their disease. Lots and lots of misinformation. Hard to believe it's been 25 years.

And condoms became honourable. Good girls carried them. That was a bizarre twist.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We desperately need to find a cure for this killer disease

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Never happen

we ain't 'cured' anything since polio
    and
    they madd about all the money they lost on that one

it is not Economical to CURE anything. .
    Expensive and lifel ong treatments. . that is where the money is

Rocket River

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The accusation isn't entirely true RR. Vaccines aren't as big a moneymaker as wrinkle creams and boner pills.

The 10 year window is definitely a big disincentive, but it sometimes cost more money to study on a specific disease than say, repackaging ulcer medication by it's delivery system and therefore granting a new patent.

The way I see it, specific cures will be rare. However, genetic discoveries will bring diseases down by the handful. To many people, it'll appear revolutionary.

So we'll probably see AIDS become more silent and abstract. It could socially morph into a perverted lifestyle choice as drugs get cheaper and widespread.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Already has. I know people who are going on 15 years living with HIV.

I think RR has a point. The money isn't in cures, it's in selling people drugs to keep them alive (and buying drugs).

I can't believe we don't have the ingenuity to cure cancer and HIV.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Every time I see Magic I think of Chris Rock's bit on a guy missing work because his AIDS was acting up. Life imitates art.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

guys let's not forget that we have never cured a virus. even though we have done some cool things with science we are still impotent in many areas. we aren't gods yet.

and to you guys saying that drug companies only care about treating everything else but the virus then you need to open your eyes. we are on the verge of ELIMINATING cervical cancer since we finally have an HPV vaccine. pretty cool stuff. but I guess the cynics will say that is just the carrot "they" are hanging in front of us.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

call me when they cure it

Rocket River

13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Actually most cynics (and realists) might mention that some of the religious right in the govt dont want that vaccine being distributed. They feel it conflicts with their abstinance plans.

Idiots.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't know why you need to put vaccine. we don't have a vaccine. we aren't close to having a vaccine. HIV mutates too fast. we don't know how to cope with that. I'm certainly not an expert, but right now the best prospects would seem to be to somehow exploit the people who are naturally immune to HIV. those people are the decendents of the survivors of the black plague. that virus attacks in the same way HIV does.

anyhow, the right wing idiots who put the emphasis on abstinance over condom distribution and mandatory testing are the ones responsible for AIDS getting so bad in africa. that combined with the stigma of AIDS and horrible education on the disease. we have wasted so much money and so many lives there because of stupid ideology and not practicality.

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Polio is a viral disease, so is HPV and so is the flu.

Since polio was cured we've cured many diseases. That flu shot you get every year is often a cure for a new disease. The particular strain of flu that is out that year. The difference with AIDS is that the HIV virus is particularly tough virus since it attacks the body's mechanism for defeating it and can also hide in hard to reach reseviors in the body so even if all of the virus is eradicated in the bloodstream there can still be some hiding out in the lymph node. The other problem is that there isn't one single strain of HIV but a few different ones making it difficult to target a single treatment.

Sure there's money in longterm treatment but there will be huge money in a cure and any researcher along with drug company that finds that cure will reap huge monetary rewards. At the sametime the treatments won't continue to remain profitable once their patents run out and now that many countries are bypassing the patents anyway there is less money. As another poster pointed out the drug companies can always find ways to make more money on treating a variety of other ailments.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

chang....you are confusing curing and vaccinating. we can't cure people of viruses when they have been infected. we erradicated those viruses you mentioned thru vaccination.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

^ You're right Robbie and pardon me for not being precise with the language. You're correct that those infected with polio aren't cured, in terms of the virus being eradicated and their symptons reversed, but generally polio is considered "cured" since its mostly been eradicated as a widely infectious disease.

A cure for AIDS will be in the form of a successful vaccine to prevent the spread along with treatments that reverse and supress symptons of those already affected.

18. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I think he was talking about the HPV vaccine that's in the pipeline right now (and was mentioned in another post). There was some opposition to that vaccine from some religious groups. There was an in-depth article in FORTUNE a few months ago about the vaccine and the opposition to it that was interesting, but I don't remember the issue number.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow that would be horrible if that is the case. if those self righteous jerks actually had the political power to prevent us from irraticating a cancer then there is something very wrong with this country.

20. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

This is from an article in POZ magazine. Evidently there is a subculture out there now that actively seeks to be infected with HIV as a form of eroticism.

This is completely crazy!

The ultimate intimacy
    While many barebackers are committed to staying uninfected and protecting their partners from HIV, the XtremeSex Web site caters to those who are not. In operation for more than two years and open to all gay men -- regardless of serostatus -- it highlights the erotic appeal of HIV-infected semen. XtremeSex offers hundreds of personal ads including those from "bug chasers" (men looking to become infected or exposed to HIV) and "gift givers" (men who eroticize infecting or exposing others to HIV). "Hot hard-body muscular bottom looking to be gang-banged by as many poz guys who want it. I will do whatever you want. No limits at all. I need your charged loads" is a characteristic personal on the XtremeSex Web site.

Rare exceptions to the barebacking norm, these men prize not just unprotected anal sex or even semen but HIV itself as the ultimate intimacy to share with another. In a mind-boggling feat of symbolic reversal, they have taken the dread and deadliness of the virus and transformed it into desire and regeneration. For them, sharing uninfected semen is insufficient because it provides only a temporary bond -- the come dries up, leaving only the memory of the experience. But "charged loads," in the XtremeSex worldview, offer a kind of permanent partnership, a connection outside of time. Once you're infected, you're infected for life. Over and over on the XtremeSex Web site this fantasy plays itself out, and XtremeSexers have used their considerable knowledge of HIV pathogenesis to elaborate it. From the science of how the virus invades -- and then is incorporated into -- the host cell, combining the DNA of one organism with another to make a new form of life, these men have woven a tale of romance. In this way barebacking is equated with "breeding" and infection with "impregnation." Some HIV-negative bug chasers have gone so far as to attempt to consciously choose the individual gift-giver who will "father" their HIV infection. For these men, seroconversion has become a rite of passage rather than a chance occurrence, couched in metaphors of pregnancy.

One HIV-positive man named Paul, 45, is in the process of becoming a gift-giver to a 21-year-old HIV-negative sex partner. Paul has delayed "giving the gift." Though they have had sex without condoms in the past, Paul has never ejaculated inside his partner. He has spent the last few months telling his friend about HIV and its physical and emotional consequences. "I've talked with him for quite some time so that he understands what he's getting into, and evidently he feels it's controllable and wants it," he says. "As long as he is clear on what he's asking for, I'd love to drain a load up his hole. It turns me on knowing how much he wants my come and how much he's willing to deal with to get it."

When pressed, Paul acknowledges the "twisted romantic" nature of their relationship and the unequal power dynamics of their difference in age. His tone of voice, so matter-of-fact, is almost as disturbing to me as what he has to say.

#20 Aceshigh7, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006