1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. Nick

Nick Member

Agreed. He’s progressed quite well. Better than most pitching call-ups (including those during the golden era: people easily forget how wild Framber was when he got called up… but the stuff was clearly there).

And if the front office is behind extending pitchers, so be it. I thought that was an Espada wrinkle that may end up paying off or giving them a slight advantage given that in this copy-cat league, nearly every team now pulls pitchers after 4-5 and it gets even worse in the playoffs.

But if its going to be everything bad is Espada’s doing… and everything good is the front office’s doing… then he’s likely not going to have a leg to stand on anywhere (sorta like the game heads I win, tails you lose…).

Nook likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

A big reason that Espada survived multiple GM's and Managers is that he buys into a collaborative style of management/coaching and he believes in strong relationships. So - Espada is constantly talking with the GM and the advances scouts and coaches. I haven't heard of any issues with Espada and Brown or Espada and the other coaches........ so when we see things like the line up having Alvarez hitting high, or Bregman in the clean up spot, or pitchers going deeper - or Pressly being so entrenched in the 8th inning...... those are things that I guarantee you have been discussed and agreed upon.

Does that mean that Espada is getting phone calls telling him to pull Arrighetti after 4 runs instead of 7? No - Brown and the Astros don't micromanage to that extent.

My point being, we have to be careful when evaluating the manager - that we consider what he is being told, and what his pressures are as well. I have been critical of Espada's leadership and some of his handling of pitchers, and poor tactical decisions (or not making decisions), but try to remember it isn't Espada in a vacuum making these decisions.

13 in 33, itzIce, whiskeyred and 5 others like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Member

Agreed. Like any first-time manager, I don’t expect anybody to be excellent right off the bat. Hinch wasn’t. Baker seemed more collaborative with Click/etc. when he was first hired, but then he started to get his way (some of it earned, some of it taken by authority/seniority).

Bo Porter was hired by Luhnow and thats the perfect example of both parties getting it wrong early in their experience (and neither of them will likely ever be in that sort of leadership position again).

Of course a tad more pressure on Espada given this team’s roster makeup, pedigree, and payroll.

Nook likes this.
  4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Zero surprise here.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Manfraud ordered the Code Red.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Mashing

Mashing Member

So, if I did my math right we score 44.5% of our RBI's by the home run ball. I wonder where that stacks up with the rest of MLB?

7. solid

solid Member

Doing nothing equals more of the same. Somebody, some how needs to do something. Juggle leadership, juggle lineup, juggle roster, do something because it is obviously not working now. If your car isn't running up to specs you fix it. Sometimes diagnostics is a complicated process but you keep working until it is fixed.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. solid

solid Member

I am declaring the month of June as "Fix the Astros" month (at least for this year.)

Nick and toby like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Member

Lineup has been being jiggled constantly throughout the season. As has pitching-catching assignments. The starting pitching seems to be fairly stable as they’re now in the 3rd round of having Framber-JV-Blanco-Spencer-Brown pitch consecutively. Pressly likely done with the 8th for now in lieu of Abreu.

It was nice to see Altuve get a day off yesterday, despite the loss. He’s 35 and should be getting more DH appearances for home games where Yordan can play LF. Dubon could become a pseudo everyday player getting time at all infield positions and LF/CF. Caratini probably gets 3/5 catching duties till Diaz gets hot again with the bat. Not sure where Chas goes. And the Singleton/Abreu platoon is just that… even though Dubon playing everyday there would probably outperform both in WAR.

solid likes this.
  10. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

What a shitty year.

11. Rockets34Legend

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Will he learn to hit a fastball while at it?

13. torque

torque Member
    Supporting Member

If JV is washed, and Javier is out for awhile, we are toast. Not enough pitching.

14. Buck Turgidson

When you've managed in the minors, managed internationally, and spent 5? years sitting next to the manager as the bench coach of the team you're now managing...the learning curve should be about exactly flat.

15. Buck Turgidson

And Meyers

No Worries likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Member

Should be… and yet nearly every long term assistant or former player in every pro sport always goes through an adjustment. The younger ones may also go with some older types to guide them… and then there’s the special ones like Ryans who just has “it”.

17. Buck Turgidson

I just realized that I have no idea who the Astros bench coach is.

raining threes and Radricky like this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If Tucker needs an IL stint, who comes up?

Loperfido, Cabbage, or Leon?

20. Buck Turgidson

Hopefully Loperfido, Maybe Cabbage