1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

Goddammit Altuve

2. Buck Turgidson

3. Buck Turgidson

Alright then, we'll take it.

4. Marshall Bryant

Just throwing this out there. Add Trout AND Soto less Tucker. (Negotiations never go anywhere)

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Yeah, take that Trout contract when he is hurt EVERY year. Tucker's extension will be cheaper with a player that is not for 3 months every year.

6. Marshall Bryant

The presumption is he won't settle for a contract under the Astros limit. he could extend 6 years which takes us to 7. But that might not be enough for him and too much for Crane. This structure is the same as Alvarez's and Altuve's before him. 6 year extensions after the current contract expires. Rumor had it that the final offer for Correa was 6-180, though he denies receiving it which could mean it was one of the myriad of negotiation offers which aren't acceptable in the legal sense because of required approvals before it is formalized.

7. Yordan The Great

Tucker never being injured is a huge reason why we should sign him.

So a little overpay here is well worth it.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don't know what you are talking about. Dana Brown is not Click. Correa is irrelevant. They knew Correa's medicals and that affect offers. With the Verlander trade, Tucker became the priority. They have no replacement in the system. They will get him signed.

9. jayfree

jayfree Member

I agree we try to sign Tuck. A glaring difference between him and others before him is that he's also a lefty and doesn't see the DL. Both Springer and Correa hit the DL every year it seemed (even though they were durable in the post season which means a ton).

Saving money on Verlander's contract may have impacted what the Astros offer Tuck on an extension. By the time the extension kicks in JV and Abreu will only have a year left on their contracts each.

Either way, we may not know until after the season what unfolds as we didn't call up replacements for Correa and Springer until the year after they left (McCormick and Pena).

10. Marshall Bryant

I know almost as little as you.

11. toby

toby Member

Tucker will get a contract much higher than anyone here is expecting. 30mil will be a bargain.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think many of us know the writing is on the wall.

I have been screaming for 2 seasons for the Astros to sign him for +10 years and +$30M AAV for his FA years.

They should have gone 12 yrs $300M after 2021. It would have been 4 years of control and only 8 FA years taking him through his age 36 season @$25M AAV.

Now they will need to pay that through his age 38 season @$30M to even have a chance to extend him.

raining threes and Qan like this.
  13. Amadeus Rooster

What is the chatter about how to handle our 2024 pitchers.

Will Mccullers and Garcia be healthy?

Hunter Brown seems to have been less than end of the year to me. Urquidy showed in the playoffs how does he fit in 2024? Framber has over 11 ERA playoffs and I say regresses to the mean for a big game Sunday v Rangers.

From my pov today seems our staff is loaded.
    JV, Framber, Javier (Cy Young 24), Urquidy, JP France, Hunter Brown, Luis Garcia, Mccullers. Thats an 8 man rotation.

So wtf is the talk about what we are thinking? Lotta you guys seem to have lotta info about stuff. Anyone hear anything or have some input and ideas how its gonna shake out?

I could trade a couple and end up with some young studs to keep this thing going for another 25 years or so! Gooooooo!!!!

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think this team needs a veteran back up catcher and a semi-regular bat to hit vs RHP.

Or Maldy and Uncle Mike could be resigned, lol.

I would love to see a guy like Nolan Jones on this roster. Maybe a deal of Jake Meyers, and a couple of rule 5 eligible prospects make that happen.

Amadeus Rooster likes this.
  15. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Run it back..

C Maldonado, Diaz
    IF Abreu, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Dubon
    OF Tucker, McCormick, Alvarez, Brantley

Sign a Vet Utility guy. Give the last spot to the best of Meyers, Julks, Kessinger, etc.

SP JV, Valdez, Javier, McCullers, Brown
    RP Pressly, Abreu, Neris, Montero, Graveman, Urquidy, France

Sign Matt Moore as the LH guy.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This potential 2024 roster is better than the current roster but has a few holes.

Backup catcher, run producing bat vs RHP, and bullpen depth.

The rotation is deep enough that I may consider trading a guy like France, or even maybe Hunter Brown in a deal that can improve there.

MAYBE. but not off the table.

JV
    Framber
    Javier
    McCullers
    L. Garcia
    Urquidy
    France
    Brown
    Bielak
    Blanco
    Dubin

Is a lot of depth and Arrighetti and (hopefully) Whitley will need some MLB innings to see if they are players.

And there are several pitchers who could be pushing for time in 2025.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Tucker’s and Valdez’s situations will determine what we do. If Tucker is an absolute no from an extension perspective they might pull the trigger on a trade. Same with Valdez. The Verlander trade handcuffed our future a bit, unless Barber or Whitmore is the real deal. We will still be competitive no matter what.

18. Nick

Nick Member

They’re not trading or diminishing their window a full 2 years before those guys hit FA… c’mon.

This would be like people clamoring to trade Springer before 2019. Or trade Correa before 2020.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not in favor of it, but it depends on the offer and their relationships with the players. Our pitching depth, would indicate to me that we might consider getting a king’s ransom for Valdez. We traded away the guys that looked ear-marked for Tucker if he left, so that one is more tricky. The original idea was to follow the Cardinal trail that Luhow brought with him of being relevant for decades, rather than going all in for a year or two and re-build. The signing of Verlander, was an indication that Crane is veering from the original map. Alvarez, Altuve, and Bregman will all be coming up for new deals in 25. I think it’s a decision between Tucker or Alvarez in a couple of years. Trading Tucker now will certainly get you a great return, not so much when he is a rental.

20. Major

Major Member

Agreed. The Astros don't even trade guys in the last year of their contracts. If Valdez or Tucker leave, it will almost certainly be in FA, not as a trade.