1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Hypothetical Astros Trades Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Assuming Houston stays within 5 games of the wild card, I think their targets would be:

1. A solid multiyear lefthanded bat who can play 1B, LF, and (ideally) 3B. Potential options: Ryan McMahon, Yoan Moncada, Luis Rengifo, Lamont Wade Jr., Jeimer Candelario. The goal here would be to deepen and balance the lineup with a player who can at a minimum replace Abreu but in a best case replace Abreu this year and Bregman next year.

2. A late inning reliever. Options: Mason Miller, Hunter Harvey, Yimi Garcia, JoJo Romero, others. The goal here is to add someone that allows them to not rely on Pressly in the 7th or 8th inning.

3. A multiyear ToR SP. Garret Crochet, Eric Fedde, Sonny Gray, Kevin Gausman, Zac Gallen, Patrick Sandoval. I consider this unlikely as all teams will be looking for this and the prices should be exhorbitant; on top of that, the Astros rotation is pitching quite well recently, and they may be getting 2 quality guys back in the next 8 weeks, so the need isn’t extreme.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    1B/3B Yandy Diaz
    RP Shawn Armstrong

Rays get:
    P Miguel Ullola
    IF Waner Luciano
    P Misael Tamarez
    1B Jose Abreu
    $15M (2025)

Htown Legend likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Well, by veteran 1B I am not talking a 40 year old guy.

It is obvious that the Astros are not interested in playing Loperfido, Cabbage, Diaz, Dubon, or any other "young" player currently on the roster at 1B.

So, if that is correct then it's Abreu, Singleton or bringing in a veteran, preferably under 34-35 yrs old, as a band aid through 2024 and hopefully not past 2025.

4. Radricky

Radricky Member

5. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Member

Folks, hearing a lot of chatter about Astros trading Bregman, Tucker, and/or Pressly. Not getting an “Astros will be buyer’s” vibe. Trading Tucker would bring back the biggest return given he has one more year of control, is 27, and a perennial MVP candidate. Astros would probably rather move Breg’s, but that will be more difficult and would score less of a return given he’d be a rental. Pressly?……not sure I’d want to trade for what he’s been putting on tape this season, but if you can, do it. My guess is Verlander’s name will be a hotter trade rumor name than Pressly as the deadline looms closer

Jose Cuervo and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I feel really strongly that the only way it makes any sense for the Astros to position themselves as sellers at this year’s deadline is if they trade Tucker, Bregman, Valdez, and Verlander, at a minimum. Bregman is their only pending free agent and the difference between what they’ll get at the deadline vs just taking the QO draft pick isn’t worth how damaging it would be to the culture.

Houston does not need a full rebuild. But trading those 4 short-term-controlled star-level players would give them a top 5 farm system and plenty of payroll flexibility to get right back to how they were circa 2015, if not by 2025 then at least by 2026.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In no world are the Astros better in 2025 w/o Tucker and to a lesser extent, Framber.

The only way ANYONE gets traded is if it improves 2024 and/or 2025.

In no scenario are either traded before next years trade deadline.

And just FTR if they don't sign an extension, I want them traded.

It's just not in Crane's DNA to punt a season before it starts ( at least not when the talent on the roster is sufficient and paid to win)

raining threes likes this.
  8. torque

torque Member
    Supporting Member

Regardless of culture, I'm not sure the prospect return for Bregman would surpass the value we'd get from Dana Brown drafting in the supplemental first round.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s a 4th round pick they’d get, not a first round pick.

BMoney likes this.
  10. Amadeus Rooster

What we gonna get for 'em?

Tucker to who and brings back?

Framber, Bregman, JV? Got some teams and possible names to match up?

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Post 2024 deadline top 100 prospects in Astros system:
    OF Jacob Melton
    SS Brice Matthews
    P AJ Blubaugh
    3B Zach Dezenzo
    P Jake Bloss
    P Mick Abel (PHI-Tucker)
    3B Aiden Miller (PHI-Tucker)
    SS Starlyn Caba (PHI-Tucker)
    C Thayron Liranzo (LAD-Verlander)
    OF Owen Caissie (CHC-Bregman)
    OF Coby Mayo (BAL-Valdez)
    P Cade Povich (BAL-Valdez)
    Other prospects added: P Jackson Wiggins (CHC-Bregman), P Chayce McDermott (BAL-Valdez), P Jackson Ferris (LAD-Verlander), P Brendan Beck (NYY-Pressly), P Clayton Beeter (NYY-Montero)

12. Amadeus Rooster

Thats good stuff, Snake. Thank you very much.

As much as I think I know, minor leagues I know very little. And now I know a lot.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If Crane won’t offer Tucker the necessary deal to keep him, then yeah trade him and let’s rebuild.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Tucker would bring a king's ransom, but simply don't see it happening until/unless they have decided they won't be in the 2025 post season.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure where to put it - so I will put it here.

Astros and Mets have spoken about Pete Alonso as a rental.

Mets want too much right now but they are still keeping in touch.

Nats and Astros have discussed Harvey or Florio for the Astros pen, the Nats want a young pitcher back.

The Marlins are listening on a couple of relievers, including Tanner Scott and the Astros have checked in on Scott.

The Astros are amongst the teams interested in Kevin Gausman.

Astros have kicked the tires on Spencer Torkelson.

Rockies have no interest in trading their guys.

Astros and A's have spoken about Brent Rooker - and cost is "A's expensive", whatever the hell that means.

The Angels have told teams they will be sellers most likely.

The Yankees have asked about Alex Bregman - Astros said they were not selling.

Teams like some of the Astros recently drafted arms - and Arrighetti.

The A's like Pedro Leon and Melton.

Dgn1, IowaAstro, itzIce and 8 others like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rooker for Leon seems fair. Rooker can barely play the field, but he is a fairly proven elite bat. He goes into arbitration next season so his surplus value is not that high. He is also going to be 30 years old next year.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That is fair, but I would hate to see Leon become the next Starling Marte in an A's uniform.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I have faith in the farm system Dana Brown will create, so if said player plays C, 2B, SS and maybe 3B (depending on the resigning of Bregman) they are in the pool to get dealt IMO.

I'm so down for the rental of Pete Alonso, he's the type of star player that would make this lineup the best in MLB IF he got hot at the right time. He's that Harper type of rental Crane went for so maybe he gets this done...

Bullpen help? Astros fans everywhere approve.

raining threes likes this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Can we get Jordan Lyles ?

20. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Mets owner is rich. Any chance they're willing to take on Abreu's contract for more or better prospects? Would Crane rather keep or DFA him, rather than giving up higher end prospects for Alonso? Or forget about Abreu, like you said, cost is already high. And you say only as a rental. If somehow they got rid of Abreu, Crane has no desire on trying to sign him? Or basically Alonso is getting those big contracts that the Astros are against?

Weren't the Astros interested in Torkelson last year as well? I swear you mentioned it. Looking at his numbers this year, why?

And no idea if he's available but what about Bassitt instead of Gausman?

#240 punkoholic, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024