1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

How out of touch are you?

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If Chas needs to go on the IL there are no OF on the 40 man who aren't already active except Brantley.

Dirden and Leon have played all the AAA innings in CF.

Neither has really outperformed the other

I think 99% it would be Dirden

raining threes likes this.
  3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

If neither has outperformed the other what is it that has swayed you so far for one over the other? Serious question. If Chas is unavailable and Meyers continues to under perform I would think the need is specifically for a center fielder and that pushes me away from Dirden.

4. Major

Major Member

Astros also have the option of moving Dubon to CF and finding an alternative 2B - Hensley or not sure who all might be available from minors.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Member

its a legitimate question, personal bias aside.

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

I'm not out of touch, I just don't give 2 craps about what other people think. This attitude is what helped Luhnow build this dynasty and the team needs to regain this attitude if it wants to remain a dynasty.

7. conquistador#11

Where are people streaming the games?
    Overnight every link I try asks me if I'm a robot and takes me nowhere.
    It smells like Manfred.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Weak streams

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

For those of you wondering the Astros were 6-7 the last 3 years after 13 games

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I guess it’s time to raise a yellow (not red) flag for Jose Abreu. 36 year olds whose numbers take a dive are always worth worrying about, especially when they have just been given a $60M contract. I suspect he will be given a very long leash, but he’s been dreadful across the board and he’s 67 pa into the season. Like I said they probably will give him an extremely long leash due to his contract but if he continues to straight up suck like this I would guess they might go try to upgrade the offense either at C or on the bench so they can get Abreu out of the lineup or at least move him down. Hopefully he turns it around.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah I’ve been clamoring for him for about 5 years and was super excited about the signing. Let’s just say I’d like to see 3 or 5 balls travel over the wall in the next couple weeks or I’m going to be white knuckling it until it does happen.
    It’s quite possible that all they have to do to upgrade catcher is remove Maldy from the lineup. Diaz looks just fine to me defensively, and he obviously will hit based upon all the numbers and all the scouting. that said I won’t be upset to see a trade for Salvy.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Abreau will come around. He is a professional hitter like Brantley. He may not have the HR power he once had, but he has gap power and he will have a good OBA when all is said and done. Diaz should be starting almost every game so he can hone his hitting skills. Maldonado has not looked good in any aspect of the game. If Maldy’s ego can’t stand being the backup, then they should offer him a coaching job as a consolation prize and bring up Lee.

I know they won’t do it, but if McCormick is hurt they should send Myers down and bring both Dirden and Leon up. Between Leon and Dubon (as long as this hitting is not a fluke) they will have center covered. Hensley and Leon can be infield depth and Dirden your 4th outfielder. How are Leon and Dirden doing in the minors?

EDIT:

So far Dirden and Leon are stinking it up offensively. JJ is crushing it, but we don’t need a !B. I could still see sending Myers down for Leon. Dubon in Center and Hensley at 2nd will have to do until Chas is back.

#212 Hemingway, Apr 16, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. Screaming Fist

March/April xwOBA for Abreu:

2019: .387
    2021: .309
    2022: .378
    2023: .234

Maybe more alarmingly, in March/April each of those previous seasons Abreu had at least a handful of batted balls with EVs >110 which he hasn't even come close to so far this year with 45 batted balls.

14. Screaming Fist

In Diaz's four attempts at throwing out runners this season he has the fourth fastest pop time of any catcher in baseball and has shown a stronger arm than the MATCHETE.

No Worries and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I hear y’all and it is starting to concern me, but I think you have to give him the longest of leashes.

16. STR8Thugg

#WBC

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Absolutely no doubt. Like, as long as Yuli’s leash was last year since he’s making 60
    Million over the next 3 years.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  18. STR8Thugg

Yeah exactly, that’s exactly what I was going to say. Also, track record in addition to salary

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

great post with real data. I o ly looked back at the last two years very quickly, no it seemed like Abreu is a slow starter and things improve in May. But the lack of high EV events is very very concerning. I think that data is fairly predictive/solid early on in the season (not sure how many ABs, but I saw some article about that recently). I’m hoping he has some decent numbers by the time he gets to end of April. These next two weeks are going to be pretty damn important

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. HTown2017Champs

He didn't participate in the WBC, though.