1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

2. Sooty

Sooty Member

I’m not saying he is Rodgers but people talking about Rodgers the player out of UCLA or the NFL QB? I want to see what he can do next year before passing any judgement.

Also, here are some comments on Rodgers the draft prospect.

What NFL scouts told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn before the draft about quarterback Aaron Rodgers:

Marc Ross, Buffalo: "He's a little short. The thing you worry about is those (Jeff) Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. Is he just working magic with great college quarterbacks or just manufacturing guys?"

AFC scout: "I like him. He's a very talented guy. A lot of quarterbacks that were system people have not done very well. That puts up a red flag. Not that he is one of them. He could be an exception. But I can't get it out of my craw."

Rich Snead, Tennessee: "I like him. I just don't know if he's maxed out. He's more accurate than (Kyle) Boller but probably not as athletic. He's a better player than Akili Smith. He's more athletic than (Trent) Dilfer was. He's a little more mobile than Joey Harrington. He had to go to a JC because no one would recruit him because they said he was too small. He's been busting his (expletive) his whole life to get to this point. I just don't know how much more he has to give."

NFC scout: "(Alex) Smith is the better athlete."

AFC scout: "I think he has some upside although there are some things that are just ordinary about him."

Jerry Angelo, Chicago: "I'd give Rodgers the edge (over Smith) just because he was easier to evaluate. And there's a little more arm. But the edge is negligible."

NFC scout: "I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn't have great ability to change the release of the football. He's mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better."

NFC scout: "The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They're too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don't know if they become good pro players. I think Rodgers is in that same mold."

AFC scout: "I don't like him. He's a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don't think he's as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year."

AFC scout: "I don't think he's in the class of the quarterbacks that came out last year. Strong arm. Pretty good athlete. Still has some holes in his game."

Bill Polian, Indianapolis: "I see a guy who has good arm strength. I see some athletic ability. I see a guy who was pretty good with a good team. I see a guy who's in a pretty efficient offense. Am I certain that he's going to come in and lead my team to the Promised Land? I can't say that. I'm not even sure I can say that about Alex Smith."

AFC scout: "He's a system quarterback. 3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can't create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don't think there's a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I'm dead serious. None of them are worth it."

NFC scout: "He fit right into the Cal system. He probably executed that as well as anybody. He doesn't have as strong an arm as Boller but can make the same reads and play the scheme as well as Boller did.

CKent, Scarface281, Fullcourt and 5 others like this.
  3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That is kinda interesting. As someone who is scared of the OSU system QBs and what happens to them in the pros. I didn’t remember that being a knock for Rodgers back then…

Fulgore and red5rocket like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There may be similarities in the sense that they came from systems that weren’t or hadn’t been successful in the pros.
    But Rodgers actually proved them wrong. Stroud has a chance to.
    Regardless, Rodgers is a much more dynamic athlete with much more arm talent

houstonstime and Sooty like this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This. Plus Rodgers had a hitch in his delivery that he worked out while sitting in Green Bay. He worked his tail off to get ready to play while waiting. Nothing was given to Rodgers despite what folks believe now. It wasn’t all lovey dovey for him coming into the NFL, the league had their doubts.

Sooty likes this.
  7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I think it’s a bad comparison because Stroud’s throwing motion is fundamentally different. I would say Bryce Young and Levis to a lesser degree have more similar throwing motions, although Levis lacks the ball control. The biggest takeaway is that no one really knows how these QBs will translate to the nfl. What they did in college just isn’t the same. For the younger QBs like Young, Stroud, and Richardson especially, they are still developing physically.

Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

This guy is going to die on the Will Levis hill lmao.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And you’re going to die of delusion

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Why are you a Texans fan? or even are you? Why has your obsession each day turned in to shutting down any positivity about CJ Stroud.

Did he touch you?

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

CJ is a 4.8-4.9 40 guy and it shows on the film, but guys here preferred the pocket passer anyway right? He's fine stepping up and out when necessary, but he will never be a guy who you admire for his athleticism, but at the very least be able to scramble for first downs if presented with the opportunity. You're not fooling anybody with RPO keeper stuff with CJ Stroud thats for sure! The kid is ultra precise. He puts the pill into some amazing spots. He has a cannon and works the field. There is alot to like, but still some areas that need to get better and should if he continues to work hard. Im just trying to watch him vs NFL type defenses/talent and he's doing fine. Will he be a superstar? That remains to be seen.

Here he is vs #6 defense Michigan:

CallMeTheDream and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Why are you a Stroud only fan?
    Calling out the obvious hurts your feelings, I’m just not gonna hate on others like some of y’all.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stating the obvious hurts some of these guys feelings.
    This is a very accurate assessment. If Stroud can maintain his accuracy and perform better under pressure he can be a very good QB. But his upside is capped by a lack of explosiveness and ability to play off script.
    That’s ok, nothing wrong with that as long as the accuracy maintains

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also that’s the Iowa game again.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Stroud only fan? Because he is the Texans QB.

Ultimately, I just want the Texans to draft high potential players with good floors.

Felt like you had that with the top 3 QB's taken.

Pretty clear ALL NFL scouting departments felt the same.

Was pretty interesting hearing how there was a huge market for Stroud at 3 if he got by the Texans at 2.

But.... I digress. You probably know more than NFL scouts. LOL

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The Michigan tape is similar to Iowa tape.
    Couple nice throws, usually deeper seam routes or go routes 1 on 1 down sideline.
    Majority of throws are behind LOS or short flat/curl routes.
    3-4 turnover worthy plays, in reality should have been picks

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Listen Stroud only fan.
    I wanted high ceiling QBs if we were going to draft one this year.
    I didn’t want a QB this year, Stroud doesn’t have a high ceiling and I would rather have taken more defense and use our resources on next years class.
    And you’re so obvious, you believe “scout reports” when they fit your narrative and discount them when they say different.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

There will ALWAYS be people who like or dislike someone for whatever reason. Those who are disliking CJ at this point when the KID hasn't even threw his first Rookie Camp pass, we affectionately call them HATERS!

Give the kid a chance!

primtim24, Dgn1, TEXNIFICENT and 6 others like this.
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

And thats my point....... why are we still on here after the draft ******** on his potential? Clowns.

Omihall23, Fulgore, Qan and 1 other person like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yet it’s the same dipshits hating on others, the irony.
    It’s not hating on Stroud saying he’s not Rodgers or Mahomes.
    You idiots need a dose of reality.
    Let the kid become who he is and hope he can gain enough functional mobility to play in todays game