1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 17, 2022.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Colin Barber, Forrest Whitley, Freudis Nova Huge Career Boost needed. Need them healthy and productive. Call them up and are producing on the Astros.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Add Solis.

And about a dozen or so lesser acclaimed guys.

Brewer
    Kessinger
    Barefoot

Come to mind.

rockets1995 likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Contributing Member

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

dmoneybangbang and scott_summers like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dana Browns draft history suggests he is probably more inclined to draft pitchers early than Luhnow and Click were.

prospecthugger, jim1961 and Nook like this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

2st rd draft picks since Luhnow was hired:

Correa, McCullers( P)
    Mark Appel (P)
    Brady Aiken ( P)
    Bregman, Tucker, Daz Cameron
    Whitley ( P)
    J.B. Bukauskas ( P)
    Seth Beer
    Korey Lee

* at 41st and 37th respectively, it could be debated whether McCullers and Cameron should be considered 1st rd picks.

It sure feels like position players are safer, more likely to "make it"

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Oops. 1st rd picks.

Missed it until it was too late to edit.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mark Appel over Kris Bryant hurts more.

Astros Dodged a Bullet Brady Aiken Physical fail on his Arm and instead selecting Alex Bregman

9. Marshall Bryant

How does Dana Brown have any draft history? He worked for GMs with a draft history.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There are verified reports out there that he is the one who identified and fought for many of the Braves better draft picks the last several years.

No need to be obtuse. It's like saying Gary Pettis is not responsible for players scoring from 2nd on a hit to the outfield, but Dusty Baker is.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

The way it works in some organizations is that all scouts individually have "boards" and they submit them to the GM. On top of that, scouts will fight for particular players at particular rounds of the draft. This is typically documented. For example, there was a strong internal fight between scouts for the Astros over whether to take Phil Nevin of Derek Jeter. The scout that wanted Jeter went as far as to retire.

In the case of Dana Brown it is even more pronounced. The GM of the Braves said that over time he has learned to defer to Dana Brown in draft manners when he feels strongly, and we know which players they are that Brown wanted, and he also had a lot of autonomy over the domestic draft with the Braves. So it is pretty easy to see how he did... he also had control to hire and fire scouts. The Braves GM is a great administrator and not as good a talent evaluator.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Brown has a long enough track record of amateur talent evaluation that he has earned the right to have nearly full autonomy in that regard. I could see that relationship deteriorating pretty quickly if Crane (or Bagwell or someone else in the front office) wanted to battle Brown on that front. However, Brown’s resume isn’t quite as strong on trades or free agent signings, so I do think it would be reasonable for Crane to weigh heavily in major moves of those kinds; hopefully all of that was discussed in advance and there’s no confusion about levels of authority or misaligned expectations on chain of command or process related to significant moves.

Nook and Marshall Bryant like this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Thank you for the responses. The more I hear, the more I like the new Hire.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  14. prospecthugger

I wonder if part of that has to do with competencies. If the Astros feel that they're better at identifying and developing "diamond in the rough" pitchers, there may be a greater emphasis to use early picks on hitters, since you're buying greater certainty. To my untrained eye, the Braves have been pretty good at finding under the radar hitters, both internationally and in the draft, so a greater emphasis on spending premium resources on pitching in the draft could make sense.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think the greater certainty in hitters is the reason. Pitchers are fungible. Being able to get quality pitchers later isn't a good reason not to get better pitchers earlier in my opinion. I think it comes down to a lot of bad teams draft pitchers earlier than they should which makes it easier for good teams to decide on taking hitters early.

Edit: Caveat: The Astros have been really good for a while and lost 4 early picks in recent years such that I haven't paid much attention to the draft recently.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Has Bagwell or Crane gotten deep into the details of the drafts? I feel like I've read about Bagwell having opinions about the MLB roster construction as well as potential free agents, but I don't know that I've ever seen him voicing opinions about amateur prospects or even minor league players. Might have just missed it, however.