1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018 NBA Draft/2-46] De'Anthony Melton, G, USC

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 21, 2018.

?

Do you like the selection of De'Anthony Melton?

1. YES

92.5%
  2. NO

7.5%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a solid take, solid, but the kid's been working on his shot. Unlike Duval (who's shot has been described as "broken"), who went undrafted, Melton shot 70% from the charity stripe and has good form in general when shooting during games, so there is hope that he can improve his shot, in my opinion. Supposedly, he improved his 3 point shooting a lot during his "vacation," and we'll get a chance to see if that's true. I like the kid. I think he might grow on us.

B-Bob, saleem and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I’m going to be so confused when they say D Antoni and De Anthony.

JamesC likes this.
  3. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Anthony has finally Meltoned

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

7. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

DeAnthony - this is your moment. Unless there is a big signing imminent, you are the next man up.

sammy and saleem like this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Super hot take: Melton will lead us to the promised Land because of the decent game he just had in his second summer league.

Thank you moreknee.

DonKnock, joshuaao, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nice call my friend. Great minds think alike. I put 5 names out there, so I didn’t call it exactly.

Thread: “Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas 2017-18.” —Oct 25, 2017.......post #812 June 14

@BigMaloe called Duval being a find in post #836 of the same thread.

Keep up the good work

BigShasta and BigMaloe like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I called nothing. I had never heard of him prior.

I did look up every mock draft I could find. And a majority of them had him in the middle of the 20's on average. With him sitting out an entire year perhaps Morey got a steal and he turns into a good bench player at some point soon.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It was a com0lex draft where players could go in the first round or drop in the draft.

I had a feeling he would drop because of sitting out a year and his shooting woes in the one year he played. Without
    looking at what was said in the scouting reports, i felt like he reminded me of Avery Bradley. I’m a big fan of the things
    Avery Bradley does on the court.

How many things All-Star games has Avery Bradley been to? Probably not many. Just like Ariza. Not many, but
    can be a good role player, glue guy, or as Shaq calls them, “others.”

I. Saw him blocking out centers under the rim well, rebounding at its highest point among the trees (bigger players),
    he had excellent steal numbers per game, blocks while playing help defense and while on the move vs his
    own man......sometimes standing his own ground and not buying multiple pump fakes that would have had many
    up in the air, could put the ball on the ground and drive. Doesn’t need to get all the way to the rack to score as he
    looks comfortable shooting within 10 feet from different angles of attack.

He slipped because no doubt he would be rusty and their were a lot of good players that presented less risk because
    they played against greater competition this past year.

I remember when Carlos Beltran had his first go around with the Astros. They said he was a 5-tool player.
    Melton can be a 5-tool player eventually if he keeps working on his shooting. 1) rebounds 2) steals 3) blocks
    4) all around defense like switching/jumping passing lanes/blocking out/tapping the ball back if he can’t get
    the rebound/deflections/trapping
    5) all around offense like scoring off drives—floaters in the lane/ FT shooting/ setting picks/ 3-pt shooting/ transition points/assists.

Not the Rockets fault people passed on him. Good player from where we drafted.

#111 ApacheWarrior, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

So what I’m saying is; if Melton can improve on #’s 4 & 5......we got a 15-tool player. Lol.

Yea us.

Duval has impressed me as well. One bad game does not take him out of the running for making it in the
    league, and Melton needs to continue getting better. I think he will as he continues knocking off the rust.

13. mockster

mockster Member

So is Melton our backup PG now?, I know our rotation doesn’t typically call for a PG as harden slots in there when CP leaves abd vis versa but I wonder if he will get any minutes considering his defensive effort

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I don't know what's more crazy .. paying $372 for those springy running shoes or wanting Melton, Duval, and Hunter to make the team.

Need a youth infusion. Need an Horry. Need a Sam.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not sure if the question was directed to me or anyone in general.

Many here clamor for conventional basketball players such as: big centers that post up, protect the rim...but they clog the paint while the facilitator (Harden/CP3) tries to drive.......Old school style. Nowadays you run greyhound centers who can run the floor & defend out on the perimeter. Lumbering Bulldog type centers are being shown the door.

Moving to point guards, many here want the old school point guards who can handle the ball. Problem is the
    league has moved to wings about 6”7” because they can defend the smaller player while being able to switch
    to the bigger centers of today. Zone defenses have created this type of hybrid game.

Before, during and after the Warriors series in the playoffs, many here have begged for a conventional point guard.
    Seems like Morey is bringing in more ball handlers; but not the small 6’1” point guard that can be posted up defensively.

Instead one can see a form of a compromise:
    Melton 6’3” to 6’4” (plays bigger than he is).....not the amazing dribbler & assist guy; but can dribble & can give you assists.

Duval 6’3” to 6’4” .......ditto.

MCW 6’6”....................is a decent defender (probably better than G Green) & former PG. Might see him at SF with
    no Ariza/Luc MaM. Not much of a shooter (like Andre Roberson) but may turn out to be a better than avg
    defender (like Roberson). If Melo joins the team, I see Melo starting at PF while Tucker starts at SF. GG remains
    with the role last season, as 3rd string SF/(SG?). Question mark because CP3/Harden/Eric Gordon are
    1st, 2nd and 3rd PG/SG’s.

In chasing after LeBron and trying to find a trade partner for Ryan Anderson.....I’m guessing Eric Gordon’s name
    came up as part of a package deal. Thus the reason Houston drafted the bigger PG’s that have the potential
    to be better facilitators than Beverley.......and eventually approach Beverley 3-pt shooting. Remember Beverley
    was not a great 3-pt shooter initially.

I don’t believe drafting Melton and bringing in Duval is meant to replace Eric Gordon immediately if he had been traded. GG would probably slide into that role. But one or both Melton/Duvall could receive the 2-way contracts or what I’m seeing called “Dual” contracts. Get some playing time with the G-League if need be.

I mentioned Billy Preston and Metu as a posssible draft pick at #46. Metu went to the Spurs later.
    Melton/Edwards/Duval hints to me that the Rockets feel/felt Hartenstein might be ready to fill in as backup
    center (possibly ahead of Nene) this season. Rockets can do that since Tucker can play center and Ryan
    Anderson is still with the team. Ryno can be serviceable at Center during the regular season vs most teams.

All of Harden/CP3/Melo had decent DRtg’s last year; but all three will/would be driving this offense to great heights.
    With no Ariza/Luc......Melton/Duval/MCW/Edwards/Gary Clark could be used for defense predominantly while
    being run off the 3-pt line & driving (better than Ariza......? Maybe?). All 3 would not be on the court at the same time......just sprinkled in with Melo.....Harden.....CP3 (if EGo gets hurt)......EGo (if CP3 gets hurt).

Or check the waiver line & look for disgruntled players to trade for (as a better option or improvement).
    They give you deep depth while providing time to find better.....on the cheap.

#115 ApacheWarrior, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Rockets FTW likes this.
  16. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Starting to get excited about this kid

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Anybody know why he took the year off?

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ineligible due to larger college scandal there, I think.

20. 523744

523744 Member

Something about joining the FBI..