1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 FIBA World Cup]Other countries with NBA players thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Beavis Stiffler, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Beavis Stiffler

This is a separate thread from the Team USA thread http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=257925

[​IMG]

If you want to watch non-USA games, almost all the games are on the WatchESPN.com site. Here's the rest of the schedule:

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are the Rockets the most well-represented team at the World Cup in terms of the diversity of nations?

Harden, USA
    Garcia, Dominican Republic
    Papanikolaou, Greece
    Motiejunas, Lithuania

Not to mention former Rockets

G. Dragic, Slovenia
    Asik, Turkey
    Scola, Argentina

and momentary Rockets

Gay, USA
    P. Gasol, Spain
    Batum, France
    Z. Dragic, Slovenia

#2 Carl Herrera, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. Beavis Stiffler

Scores and results from Day 1:

Croatia 81-78 Philippines

Ukraine 72-62 Dominican Republic

Angola 80-69 South Korea

Egypt 64-85 Serbia

New Zealand 73-76 Turkey

Australia 80-90 Slovenia

Puerto Rico 75-98 Argentina

France 63-65 Brazil

Mexico 74-87 Lithuania

Greece 87-64 Senegal

USA 114-55 Finland

Spain 90-60 Iran

Best games from Day 1: Philippines-Croatia in OT, Brazil-France, and Turkey-New Zealand

Best players from Day 1: Pau Gasol (Spain), Gorgui Dieng (Senegal), Goran Dragic (Slovenia), Andray Blatche (Philippines), Luis Scola (Argentina), JJ Barea (Puerto Rico)

4. Beavis Stiffler

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xOwuJtXXe04?list=PLCXERy73Oiz_dZlx-PgDDaW7393y6ngL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LpVJV5aDM7c?list=PLCXERy73Oiz_dZlx-PgDDaW7393y6ngL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8Und8BQ1RVE?list=PLCXERy73Oiz_dZlx-PgDDaW7393y6ngL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IcXkDaUebBc?list=PLCXERy73Oiz_dZlx-PgDDaW7393y6ngL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

How does France score just 63 points?

6. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Does anyone else think Andray Blatche sheds a tear during the Filipino national anthem? It takes a real sense of national pride to play for a country you've never lived in before.

7. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

People are sleeping on Gorgui Dieng. He could be a best next season.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While Spain has 6 NBA players, All of them have played in the NBA before or even contracted to NBA teams like Llull.

Even their youngest player was drafted last year who OKC owns the rights to.

So it's pretty crazy how far some countries have come.

When the day comes that even one Team USA player plays in another league will be the break through (For Global basketball) because it means that another league is nearing the NBA in reputation. That's still very far away though...

9. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Will not surprise me at all if Kobe plays in Spain or Italy in 2016, in fact I think its absolutely going to happen. Especially considering he could get the same amount of money for a few more years. Basically exactly what David Beckham did.

10. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

I get what you're saying though, however I do think that non-European NBA stars would have a hard time meshing with European style play. For that to happen it basically would require a full on change of style for that team, which is often counter productive for winning. Euroball is so pass heavy and not isolation. A guy like Rudy Gay would do awful in Europe. Maybe some point guards would really excel (Rondo, Curry, Paul, etc.) but put a guy in Europe who needs to dominate the ball, while he's playing in his prime, I think a lot of European teams are smarter than that and would suffer in the wins/losses column.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Lots of former player scattered around FIBA as well. I was surprised to see Pooh Jeter playing for Ukraine! Apparently the guy is a naturalized citizen and even has a Ukranian name (Yudzhin Dzheter) lol

-----------

Anyone know why Ibaka didn't play?

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Also, Carl your list didn't include players that we hold the rights to:

Sergio Llull - Spain
    Brad Newley - Australia

And players whose rights we held at one point:

Furkan Aldemir - Turkey

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I'm wondering how many NBA players this generation will do that. Go overseas to pick up a few more checks and extend the career a year or two.

I don't know how much it was a option before, but I imagine for a guy like Kobe, adding a European Championship to his name can't be so bad.

I also agree with the difference of styles. I think that's why soon we may see a guy like Rubio go back there.

Don't know why Ibaka did not play. He did leave last season injured so that could be.

Maybe they will rotate their bigs through group play to keep them fresh, since these games are so close together. He's played with them before so I don't think him and coach have a problem or something?

14. Walt267

Walt267 New Member

Thanks for the post and schedule, did not know all the FIBA games were being televised on ESPN.

15. FeaR

FeaR Member

'
    Sore harmstring

16. FeaR

FeaR Member

Sorry, sore hamstring.

17. mig0s

mig0s Member

Why china is not in the world cup?

18. FeaR

FeaR Member

They finished 5th in 2013 FIBA Asia Championship and then they didn't get a wild card for WC.

19. mig0s

mig0s Member

can't believe they can't even beat Iran or South Korea or the Philippines. BTW didn't know Andray Blatch was filipino lol

20. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Garcia with 18 points, how did he do for anybody who watched?