1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Draft targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Raven

Raven Member

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

I am assuming you meant 5-11. The Texans should go BPA at OL or LB

Mathews, Barr, CJ Mosely, Clowney, Nix, Mack

One of those will be available.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

Anyone familiar with the Kubiak regime should know that the Texans will make a meaningless run at the end of the season.

4. today

today Member

I typically never say that I want a particular guy in the draft, choosing rather to trust the front office that they will make the best selection possible.

This year however, I REALLY want Manziel. He is so exciting to watch, I'd love to see him play for the next 10 years as a Texan. I think he's got all the tools (great fiery leadership, competitive mindset, slightly above avg arm, accuracy, speed, quickness, ability to move through progressions, ability to extend the play), with the only downsides being his height and potential for injury.

I'm not really wanting to start a debate on Manziel, but I just wanted to say that I'm emotionally excited about the idea of having him as our QB next year. No other player in the past has done that for me.

Anyone else feel more excited than normal about a particular player?

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Manziel has the best arm in the draft this year. My only issue with him though, is that he holds that ball longer than any quarterback I have ever seen. In the NFL, he won't have the time to just sit back and wait 7 seconds for Mike Evans to get open.

Plus's is that he has potential to be an absolute game changer. 4.5 speed, Great arm, giving him the ability to create when the play is dead. He honestly reminds me a bit of Jake Locker of the Titans.

6. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

no he doesnt

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I feel super excited about Sammy Watkins but I don't think we'll have a chance to draft him and if we do, I think we'll pass and go defense again. Unless there's a good QB prospect left on the board.

I think Watkins will become a superstar in the NFL.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Yep, I meant 5-11, but I haven't seen a mock that doesn't have Clowney in the top three. If the Texans really believe that Keenum is their guy, I hope they draft Matthews. Shouldn't he be considered the closest to a sure thing in the entire first round?

9. today

today Member

I agree that Manziel probably doesn't have the best arm in the draft, but this topic has me frustrated in general. How often do we hear one analyst say a guy has average arm strength while another one will say he has a strong arm? You would think that the NFL would have some test to measure the throwing strength of a QB. I want a strength rating number system!

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Member

I agree .. it's not gonna matter who we have at QB if we don't improve on the line , just gonna end up with another shell shocked QB like Carr and Schaub

11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I agree, even if we somehow end up with Clowney I think the coaches will try morph him into a Mario Williams type OLB, not a JJ Watt type of DE.

I think Clowney is so talented that he will succeed at any position as a pass rusher.

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

If we get a bookend like Matthews not only will Case get more time, it will give Hopkins and Johnson more time, it will improve our outside running game drastically but we will have a top five offense by that move alone assuming Foster comes back healthy.

13. whag00

whag00 Member

You could make the same argument about a stud olb or def. end. They will make the secondary better and free up jj and Cush to make more plays.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Mathews would have to be the closest thing to a sure thing. Players like Barr, Mariota, and even Clowney are raw.

Getting to my other point, Manziel's arm by some scouts standards has said to be weak, and others have proclaimed it to be elite. I have seen Manziel make some 35 yarders with an excellent amount of velocity.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Why not? It seems like we spend most of our time playing with 4 down linemen anyway. It also seems like it would be easier to simply draft a DE to play DE instead of trying to project what DE's can succeed at OLB. The Texans haven't done a good job of doing that so far.

Besides, if there's a new regime and new coach, they should be able to choose their own coordinator or employ their own scheme if they're a defensive guy. It would be a mistake for McNair to try to force a scheme or style of play on a new coach. Pick the best guy available and leave it to him to make decisions about scheme and strategy.

Of course, if Kubes and Wade are gone and we stick with a 3-4, then we should be looking at a NT as well. Wade says his system doesn't need a big NT (though on field production might suggest otherwise), but another DC that runs the 3-4 would likely feel differently.

Either way, assuming a new coach, I don't think you can assume one defense over the other at this point. With a new coach, a switch back to the 4-3 certainly isn't out of the question, and shouldn't be.

#55 Cannonball, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The difference for me is that the defense can still makes plays without drafting that guy. The offense is completely non functional in large part to newton a lot of the time. A functional RT makes the biggest difference on the team for me

17. Raven

Raven Member

Shoring up the OL is a safe choice. Drafting Matthews is a safe choice. The Texans need a home run in the first round - badly, so I'm hoping it's him or a QB.

Or maybe Clowney, but he'll be long gone by the time the Texans are on the board.

;)

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

You have the reigning defensive player of the year, at DE in a 3-4 and you would entertain the idea of switching to a 4-3? Keep in mind, that your starting OLB's would not be ideal for ends(Maybe Brooks Reed/even though he is awful), and your personnel at ILB lacks the coverage skills to switch as is.

You think this defense is bad? A 4-3 would be a disaster.

19. jrobich

jrobich Member

20. Two Sandwiches

I'm sticking with Kahlil Mack.