1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. skychaser

skychaser Member

the answer is in my last post and also in some of my previous posts - I like to * read * and don't like to engage with people in online forums, especially the trolls. But obviously Tinman and king1 are on a level of their own and are ruining my reading experience - that's why I am "calling" them out

if you have access to my reason for opening a CF account, something I don't normally do for online forums, you will see my reason given was "to block the trolls"

2. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

you don't like the truth?

that's another sign of a Lin fan. they really hate the truth.

Truths:

1. Lakers fans kicking Lin fans off their bbs
    2. Lin is demoted by coach because of poor play
    3. Lin is inconsistent.
    4. Lin says the Rockets had the best system for him.
    5. You hate my posts but you read them and then put them on your signature
    6. Media says Lin is only a 1 year player for the Lakers
    7. Coach of the Lakers says Lin doesn't know what a point guard is
    8. Lin fans insulted Clutch

9. You are here to talk about me or King1 and not about Lin.

My opinion is that you are here because you can't find unique posters like the 99ers on the Lakers forums. We are too strong of a force.

Like I said King1 posts for his own reasons.

99ers post because that's what we do. We're Galactus and Odin in this universe.

3. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I thought the topic of this thread is to discuss Lin's games as a Laker. Like the video below.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hrK-MZKQejI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Over 200 pages of discussions on an ex-Rockets player and only Carl Herrera was trying to post on-topic. Yet his contributions would never generate rational discussions on Lin's on court performance as sooner or later, the mocking would begin, then the "obligatory" defence, then the repetitive back-and-forth endless arguments.

I beg the remaining Lin fans of this forum just stop feeding the trolls. Their efforts have been so obvious that they would not want any rational discussions on Lin. Your responses and arguments are exactly what they wanted in this thread. Try to use the "Ignore List" (Link Here) if you truly cannot stand their posts. I have never added one member to my ignore list but I have been here long enough to realize when to hit the "Reply" button.

I know quite a number of members of this forum would still like to follow Lin as a Laker and discuss his games here. He is mediocre so far this season and we know this is far from the best of his game at all. So let's discuss what has been wrong in his game? What can Lin do to get back to the player he is capable of? Leave the criticisms of his teammates or his coaches to the media and sports commentators. Be cool and be respectful of other people's opinions. Hopefully we can save this thread and back on topic.

4. LosRockets2011

I've never seen a scrub player have a cult following fan base like Lin.

5. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

you're right, great post as always.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Overpaid, just like Parsons.

7. Throttle

Throttle Member

8. King1

King1 Member

Lol at Skychaser's meltdown. Dude is going to be in a padded cell by weeks end. Lin sucks; deal with it

#4408 King1, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I wonder what that culture map nut will have to say about Lin being benched on the lowly lakers.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

There is a term called schadenfreude. I completely understand the whole **** LOFs thing, but imo there is something very sad about getting kicks from seeing someone fail, dare I say almost as sad as the myriad of excuses and excuses that drag others through the mud to prop up Lin

Lin's issues on the offensive end stem alot from his poor handle. I don't know if it was developing in the Ivy league a relatively weaker league, but he doesn't have the security on the ball that you'd want out of a quality nba pg.

Athletically Lin is a bit overrated imo, he has a great first step/north south speed, but he's a bit slowfooted when he has to move laterally, this isn't really surprising, he's naturally a bit heavier than the majority of nba PGs. While he has the speed to get where he wants at times, the fact he doesn't have the actual basketball on a string means he gets caught a bit in crap situations (stuck in the paint/etc).

He is a decent nba player, but he is obviously not a player that can thrive in any circumstance. He needs spacing, shooters, and a mobile big who can cover up his defensive issues, pretty much the situation he had in NYK. The issue here is that you obviously never build a team around Lin if you want to really challenge in the nba. Yes he can step up like he did with us when Harden was out, but that isn't an ideal situation when you only consider the teams long-term success.

He needs to do what everyone everyone already knows, play solid defensively, play under control and look to score. There is no quick fix, its the same issues he's always had, and I just think he's maxed himself out talent-wise and physically so his success will be determined by the above, spacing/shooters/ defensive help

11. Aleron

Aleron Member

His next team should be Chicago

They like their backup pgs to be crazy headless chicken ballhogs who don't play D
    Fairly high chance of getting the starting job
    Which leads into fans will be too busy mourning over Rose's latest injury to care about how well or badly Lin plays

12. larsv8

larsv8 Member

His next team should be the Shanghai Sharks.

Their rivals, the Zhejiang Chouzhou Banks would have no answer for Lin.

Since his fans really don't care about team wins, only the personal spotlight, this would be a win/win for everyone.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

People are getting kicks because Lin is exactly the same player he was with the Rockets and those who expected him to be any different by joining the Lakers are wrong.

We all know he's getting more attention because of his race. Yao had the same type of fandom but his fans were mainly foreign and didn't have this 'insecure mentality' . I believe that Yao had fans who rooted for him, but Lin has fans who live vicariously through him. Both set of fans cannot accept that their player fails. The difference is that Yao was a significantly better player and a true franchise player.

The saltiness is because of his fans joining clutchfans and preaching their agenda. We had great Lin discussions on the DISH when he was with the Knicks. There was only one guy who really 'hated' him.

As far as his play, this is just my opinion. I think he's NOT concentrating on basketball as much you think he is. I think he cares more about his brand. Adidas, Volvo, Jeremy lin foundations, Jeremy Lin church appearances, movies about him. etc.

How else can you explain why he has not improved at all? Here's an easy comparison.

Patrick Beverly is clearly a better player than he was last year. He's improved on his weaknesses. James Harden is improving his defense.

Lin has not improved at all. He's exactly the same.

15. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I wouldn't say Lin's handle is poor. You don't have poor handle to log that efficiency in driving to the hoop and scored. I am frustrated by most of his turnovers undoubtedly but I believe his major issue that led to those turnovers was all mental. He over-thought and hesitated a lot on the offensive end. I doubted any PG in the league would even think and game-plan their offensive set while playing on the court. Those plays had to be called before the ball was brought up to the half court and executed by instinct (Hence you ran drills during practices). He often pick up his dribbles out of no where (this includes the notorious jumping-into-air) then look for someone to pass. He tends to make consecutive bone-headed plays that challenges the patience of his coach and fans. Honestly, I am not sure if this major flaw in his game can be fixed or not. One thing Lin should do (if he had not done so) is to proactively request for offensive drills with the Lakers bigs during or after their practices to build up their chemistry on the court. Lakers fans thought he and Davis had some good connections on the court but both of them had not executed the sets enough when playing together.

Pretty much every PG requires spacing and shooters to be successful. :) I think there is no sane Lin fan should ever dream of any NBA GM would "build their team around Lin". He is at best a solid starter in an NBA team in the Western Conference.

Agree. Let's hope for a big turn-around in the rest of this season.

1 person likes this.
  16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

You just answered my statement. People are enjoying the fact that Lin is underperforming because it reaffirms the notion that LOFs are insane. I completely understand the thinking, but I think its just as silly, I wouldn't think less of anyone or take enjoyment in their failure because of the actions of completely different people. I wouldn't want Trob to fail just so I could say to a fan of his who's an ******* to me "look hes crap". You just ignore the obviously mentally challenged.

As far my thoughts of his focus on basketball, I didn't say anything on it, and I tacitly i answered why he won't improve much in my previous post, imo he's maxed out physically and talent-wise. You don't just become a better dribbler at his age, he isn't going to magically become quicker at moving his feet defensively. Whats the knock on Lin? You hear about how he 'hustles' and 'tries' defensively. That means you're maxed out, he doesn't have the tools to become any more of a better defender.

Harden is blessed with a 6'11 wingspan, built like an ox, but has shown that he can be a good defender when he's engaged. That's why his defensive struggles were so frustrating, you see a guy who when he's got his head switched on defensively is actually very effective

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Honestly, I feel like much of this has to do with Lin's own acceptance about what type of player he could be.

I have never seen a player who struggles so much mentally, and honestly it might be a case of him believing in his own hype. For the last couple years he has been hailed as the next great thing, and he has unbelievable hype that you would not expect from a player of his caliber. Not to mention, the insane amount of fans he has that reinforce the idea that he is a top tier player in this league.

Lin should perhaps just accept himself as an average player in this league. Someone whose skill set is too limited to be a starting PG, but would be very useful off the bench. He probably sees himself as more than he really is, and is putting unnecessary amount of pressure on himself to live up to the fans' expectation of him.

18. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

It's not really about his physical skills, he's a bad point guard, he doesn't have good clock management, he has bad court awareness and he has too many turnovers. unless he improves his point guard play, he's just swaggy lin.

look here, new article:
    http://nypost.com/2014/12/08/things-arent-going-so-well-for-jeremy-lin-with-the-lakers/
    Things aren’t going so well for Jeremy Lin with the Lakers

19. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Hey man, don't hate on Kirk Hinrich.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Funny how the Lakers blame Lin when Kobe has pretty much stunk this year.

If Kobe insists on being a high volume low percentage guy, no one will fit at PG.

DD