1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009-2010 Kings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by leebigez, Dec 12, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Petri is again showing why he's one of the best talent evauators in the game. He has rebuilt the kings into a young,unselfish squad in the mold of the old kings squads. He's traded artest,miller,salmons and will probably trade martin when he gets back. All of the players he's accumulated via draft or trade are playing and competing. They're young and getting better and evans looks like he will be their closer.

I think they're going to be load this year and years to come.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Uh.... no. Paul Westphal gets the credit here.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Idk about that. He is building a good foundation with Evans, Martin, Hawes, & Thompson.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Forgot to mention that he has also added some quality Euro players in Nocioni, Cassipi, Udrih, & Rodriguez. Kinda reminds me of what the Bucks are currently doing..

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats what a Princeton education can do for you.

Seems Kevin Martin gets more expandable as they on. They can get Francisco Garcia back next year and could replenish some of Martin's scoring. Some of what Evans is already giving them. Kings can score points already, they need defense and rebounding. Or getting Kevin Martin's salary off their books, let the young guys come into their own.

6. leebigez

I actually hit the submit buttone before I was finished :grin:. I do think he's done a really good job of getting guys to but into what he's selling. When you watch them play, its easy to see how they enjoy playing with each other and sharing the ball. Donte was talking earlier about the team activities they do like bowling and stuff. I just like the rebuild and talent acumilation that petri has has done in such a short time. They're starting to resemble the portland squad except I think they will have more firepower. They also have 2 expiring contracts and a pretty good trade chip in martin.

7. leebigez

I know and I kinda equate some of to the rockets. People are scared about young players, but if you know what you're looking for and hit on the picks, they can pay off and their cheap. Hawes and thompson seem to work well with each other. Greene and cassipi along with the grit of nocioni also seems to work. Evans is the wade type and beno/rodriguez combo is working. They have something good working right now with 3 big trade chips in their back pocket.

8. leebigez

Bump

I really enjoy watching this young team. People want to say Portland is the team of the near future and ok city, but the kings will have a lot to say about that because they have a lot of versitility in their lineup and a huge trade chip in sar,kenny t, and kevin martin.

9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

What happend to Spencer Hawes?

10. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

SAR is retired. His contract is no longer viable.

11. leebigez

I dunno I was watching with the volume down and noticed he and beno didn't play the first half. Maybe a team rules violation or something.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

See KVH

13. leebigez

Zigggy beat me to it, but his contract is still on the books and can be traded.That's 6.5m, thomas makes 8m, and martin makes 8. They could really swing and get a deal if they wanted to.

14. deekay209

From what I gathered, SAR is officially retired while KVH was able to be traded because he technically did not file the retirement papers. Please correct me if I'm incorrect.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm with you. If they can move Kevin Martin for a good post defender they could make the playoffs this season.

16. leebigez

SAR never filed papers and his contract is still on the books. As long as the team has his rights, he can be traded just like the people that want mobley's contract. Its ok to be wrong, we angle for correctness :D:

17. leebigez

I think their team is too young to start focusing on specific players. I wouldn't give martin away and this summer when some of those teams don't get who they want, that's when they can move martin for a player. I might even think about more of a off the ball explosive pg.

18. deekay209

Whoops, I stand corrected. :)

Howabout that steal by Evans?

19. leebigez

Evans has "it". Don't know how u measure "it", but he just has a great feel in the game. Martin is a scorer, but he doesn't have that innate in game ability to make the plays.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

100% on the money.

Regarding the team, they should welcome Kevin Martin back and see what happens. You never know. It appears to me that Westphal is in total control of what's going on and he won't let Martin come back and dominate the ball to Evans' detriment. He will just have to learn to play off the ball on a full-time basis. It's worth a try to see if he and Evans can play in the backcourt at the same time because it could be special. But if they can't, K-Mart must be traded.