1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2008 Stanley Cup Finals [Detroit vs. Pittsburg]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rrj_gamz, May 28, 2008.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I meant to start this last week but was out of town...I know we don't have a lot of hockey fans on this site, but considering the Dear Abby threads that have been started, I thought why not...

Tonights game was f'n awesome...Sid the kid scored the first two goals and Pitt went on to win 3-2...One of the better plays of the night was Brooks Orpik...in the 3rd period, he had like 4-5 checks in a row...it was f'n amazing...These teams are tough and relentless and even if you don't like hockey, I would advise you guys to at least check it out...

Game 4 is on Saturday at 7pm CST...I believe its on NBC...

NHL

I still think Detriot will win the series (they have home court), the same team that beat the Stars 4-2 to get here, but I think Pitt will give them a run...

2. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

it's home ice ;) :eek:

go penguins!

when the F will houston get a team?!?!

3. rrj_gamz

my bad...I was typing too fast...Anywho, I agree, Houston is long over due...I guarantee Houston fans would support a team...

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

So is this Sid kid the new Gretzky? I remember a few years ago this kid was hyped up to be the Jordan type that would save the league...

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

*PITTSBURGH

But yeah, tonight was definitely a solid dose of what you needed to see as a Pens fan. Hell, we hadn't even scored a goal up until game three.

Sid the Kid played like a true MVP. Hossa was big and Fleury continues to shine. BRING ON GAME FOUR!!! :cool:

6. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

no way...not enough size. He's a great player, but will never be the goal scorer the Gretzky was. He'll score some, but I don't see him ever putting up a 60+ goal season. He is a great playmaker, so his assist numbers will always be fantastic.

Great game for the Penguins last night. Their forecheck in the 2nd period was dominant, and the Red Wings looked a little slow to the puck in their own end. Once they get the puck though, they bring it up ice so smoothly.

I love the Pens, but its a tough task to beat a disciplined, methodical team like Detroit 4 out of 5. 1 down!

7. rrj_gamz

I heard that the Red Wings are going back to Detriot and will practice there and come back for Saturday's game? Is that normal? It would seem to me that that just wastes time and energy but I'm no expert...

I can't f'n find the video of Orpik in the 3rd period...they just breifly mention it here...

Orpik

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Houston needs a team. I started REALLY learning about hockey for the first time this year after ignoring it forever (aside from Sportscenter).. fun sport to watch really. I'm becoming a Caps fan..

Anyway, glad Pitt came back and made it a series. Hopefully they can hold serve..

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think Detroit is too terribly far from Pittsburgh. Maybe an hour flight?

I hope those who were on the fence about hockey watched the last 15 minutes of that game last night. Both teams getting up and down the ice, some monster hits, numerous shots on goal, etc. Very exciting and can't wait for Friday.

10. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Go Pens! It's time for them to hoist hockey's holy grail before young players like Malkin start to ask for 7-8 million per season.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you know if they totally took hockey off the air i wouldnt even know.

go team!

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I usually don't watch much hockey but the Eastern Conference is so boring to me I was watching the Stanley Cup last night and it was probably more entertaining than the Celts-Pistons.

The sequence where the guy had like 5 straight checks was pretty awesome.

13. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

If you were into hockey and watched the entire playoffs, you would find basketball in general to be very boring. I have a few friends who refuse to watch any basketball game but will sit through an entire hockey game. Nothing beats non stop action.

14. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

There is no more entertanining sporting event/ series as the Stanley Cup finals. The action is intense the fans are passionate and this Red Wings vs. Penguins series was just what the NHL needed. Two teams from great US soprts cities, the storied Red Wings and the Lebron James of the NHL, Sid the Kid. I hope this series goes 7 games, now that Pittsburgh has found their game a little and have some confidence, this series is gonna get good.

15. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

The media really doesn't want the Red Wings to win. Too bad for them they will.

Also, is there a more dirty team in the league than Pittsburgh?

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Planet Earth just called. They want their sane hockey fans back.

17. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

A little off topic but hockey related...

For those who have not heard, Luc Bourdon, a top prospect for the Vancouver Canucks, has been killed in a motorcycle accident Thursday morning.

Rest in peace Luc!

18. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Is this a joke?

19. rrj_gamz

Holy *****...RIP...Cool about the moment of silence...I can't wait for saturday night...

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, one sport makes you think it's nothing more than scripted entertainment. The NBA is dangerously close to the WWF.