1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2008 NFL Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 22, 2007.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I know it's early as hell but it's obvious that the Texans need help at multiple positions. The Texans seem to be able to pull out 1 good pick a year, but it's just not enough. If the draft were today, we'd be picking at #12. Assuming we finish 8-8, I project that we'll be picking in the #12-#18 range. But here are some prospects...

OL- Luckily for us, there a lot of OL prospects in this draft.
    1. Jake Long 6-7 313lbs: A long shot for us since he will be a Top 3 pick.
    2. Gosder Cherilus 6-7 318lbs
    3. Sam Baker 6-5 305lbs: Could be gone by the time we pick.
    4. Ryan Clady 6-6 317lbs: Very likely target, he's a Jr. so we'll see.

Sleeper: Tony Hills Jr. (OT), Steve Justice (C)

DBs- Like the OL, there are a lot DB prospects this year, but only 1 elite stands out.
    1. Kenny Phillips S- Elite prospect, no way he falls out of Top 6.
    2. Malcom Jennings CB- Another Ohio St. DB, could be a very likely target.
    3. Reggie Smith CB- Can also play Safety.
    4. Mike Jenkins CB- Might be a reach assuming we pick #12-#18.

RBs- I still don't think Kubiak will draft a RB high, but there a number of interesting RBs that could in this year's draft.
    1. Darren McFadden- I would personally trade up for this kid if possible, should be a Top 5 pick.
    2. Jonathan Stewart- If this guy is available, I don't see we could pass him up. Has good size and is averaging 7.2ypc.
    3. Steve Slaton- Not a big fan of this guy, he's a gamebreaker but doesn't have very good size.
    4. Mike Hart- Not sure where he'll end up in the draft, kinda small but has shown he can be a workhorse.

Sleeper: Tashard Choice

OLs- Don't think it is a high priority, but could use an upgrade.
    1. Keith Rivers 6-3 220: Good athlete
    2. Dan Connor 6-3 233: Penn St. LB so you know he'll produce.
    3. Ali Highsmith 6-1 225: Lacks size, very good athlete though.
    4. Shawn Crable 6-5 241: Great size. I had to double check his stats so far this season...19.5 TFL, 5.5 Sacks, 3 FF. :eek:

Even though it's early, it seems that there is good depth for OL and DB prospects which is good for us. Hopefully the Texans make a good pick as not having a 2nd rounder hurts us bad.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

posted earlier that we should go after Tashard Choice depending on his value in the draft. I think he'd be perfect in this system..

3. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Draft two offensive linemen on the first day. Hopefully only one of them gets injured. Hmm... Draft an offensive lineman early in the second day, as well.

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

1-Ryan Clady OT
    3-Cory Boyd RB
    4-Charles Godfrey DB <<<< Sleeper of the draft 6'1 210lbs 4.38 4 INT's so far at Iowa
    5-Alvin Bowen LB

5. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

What about Anthony Aldridge? He's not chopped liver. Just a thought ... probably available mid/late second to early third. His numbers look pretty good and from the Coogs I think would be a good choice for the Texans.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm going to cheer for whatever team he plays on.

If he doesn't make it in the NFL, I will NEVER watch the NFL again.

If he ends up on the Allouttes Roster, I will be a fan of their's forever. Infact, ive been a fan of the Allouttes for a long time.

If he flames out in the CFL, I will cheer for the car wash business that he will own.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can't believe Aqib Talib wasn't mentioned.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

AA will have to make it as a return/slot guy.

No one will give him a realistic chance at RB... unless he can pull a modern day Warrick Dunn..

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Too small to play WR or especially RB in the NFL. He'll get picked up by someone as a return guy and 4th-5th receiver, and will be really fun to watch.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Speaking of RBs, where is Ray Rice rated?

I just don't see us taking a RB with a first round pick, especially if a guy like this is available in the third round or later.

11. gucci888

Rice would be an absolute steal if available in the third. He's kinda in the MJD mold which I think would be perfect in our scheme (or lack of).

The question is whether he'll come out or not.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Well with the new NFL draft rules, the Texans will only have 1 first day pick this year. Why did the NFL have to mess with one of my favorite days of the year?

13. gucci888

What rule did they change? I know the time has been cut down from 15 min. to 10 min. Are they only doing the first 2 rounds on Day 1?

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Yep, first two rounds on Saturday, third through seventh Sunday. Not to mention that the draft won't even start until 2 on Saturday. I'm usually hammered by that time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3075663

15. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

For potential first day picks, I would add:

S Simeon Castille of Alabama: Makes big plays, great coverage guy (plays corner a lot at Alabama)

RB Matt Forte of Tulane: Nations leading rusher and very versatile in the passing game -- will be a much better pro than Mewelde Moore

LB Xavier Adibi of Virginia Tech: great sideline-to-sideline speed, would help shore up the linebacker position

16. tulexan

tulexan Member

Forte is going to be really good. He is a big back (6'2" 220), has breakaway speed, and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

He has two 300+ yard games this season and two 200+ yard games this season. Tulane plays Memphis this week so he will in all likelihood have another 200+ yard game

17. junglerules

junglerules Member

Well, Rice has the same toughness and ability to grind out yards, but MJD is WAY faster than him. MJD returns kicks, returned punts at UCLA, and in general brings the speed and receiving factor. Don't get me wrong, I like Rice. But I don't think he'll be anything special at the next level. Hope I'm wrong, though.

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If we end up picking in the top 10 I say we trade down and get back our 2nd rounder.

We can pick use it to pick up local product (TEXAS) Tony Hills Jr.

Representing Alief.

Hell, we should pick up Alief Taylor (A&M) TE Martellus Bennet while we're at it.

19. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Pray that Spencer can comeback and the Texans dont have to use a first rounder on a LT. Otherwise please, please, oh please dear God get Faggans off the field! I would love to see a corner or safety drafted in the first round.

20. conquistador#11

what we need is someone to put pressure on the QB.. glenn dorsey anyone?
    i'm joking :p