1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2007 baseball HOF ballot

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by A-Train, Nov 27, 2006.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

This is one of the most interesting HOF ballots in a long time. Gwynn and Ripken are pretty much locks. If McGwire gets in, I think Bagwell is a first ballot lock. It should be interesting to see how many votes Canseco gets.

Personally, I think Tommy John should be in the Hall. If having a surgery named after you doesn't count as fame, I don't know what does...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2677322

McGwire, Gwynn, Ripken headline first-timers on ballotAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- Mark McGwire, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. headline the first-time candidates on the 2007 baseball writers' Hall of Fame ballot released Monday, sure to spark debate on Big Mac's place in history as the steroid era comes under renewed scrutiny.

Players on Hall ballot
    • Harold Baines
    • Albert Belle
    • Dante Bichette
    • Bert Blyleven
    • Bobby Bonilla
    • Scott Brosius
    • Jay Buhner
    • Ken Caminiti
    • Jose Canseco
    • Dave Concepcion
    • Eric Davis
    • Andre Dawson
    • Tony Fernandez
    • Steve Garvey
    • Rich Gossage
    • Tony Gwynn
    • Orel Hershiser
    • Tommy John
    • Wally Joyner
    • Don Mattingly
    • Mark McGwire
    • Jack Morris
    • Dale Murphy
    • Paul O'Neill
    • Dave Parker
    • Jim Rice
    • Cal Ripken Jr.
    • Bret Saberhagen
    • Lee Smith
    • Alan Trammell
    • Devon White
    • Bobby Witt

Jose Canseco, whose book last year led to a congressional hearing on steroid use in baseball, also is on the ballot for the first time. Canseco said he used steroids along with McGwire when they were teammates.

McGwire denied using illegal performance-enhancing substances, but when he appeared before a congressional committee, he evaded questions. "I'm not here to talk about the past," was his repeated response.

McGwire finished his career with 583 home runs, seventh in baseball history while Canseco, a former MVP, is 30th at 462. Dave Kingman, 34th with 442, has the most home runs for a player who has been on the Hall of Fame ballot and was not elected.

Gwynn, an eight-time batting champion with San Diego, and Ripken, a two-time MVP with Baltimore, are considered likely to gain election on the first ballot. Ripken played in 2,632 consecutive games, breaking Lou Gehrig's record.

Bret Saberhagen, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, and former MVP Ken Caminiti also are among 17 players on the ballot for the first time along with Harold Baines, Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Eric Davis, Tony Fernandez, Wally Joyner, Paul O'Neill, Devon White and Bobby Witt.

Jim Rice, who was 53 votes short of election last year, heads the 15 holdovers. Rich Gossage finished one vote behind Rice.

Reporters who have been in the BBWAA for 10 or more consecutive years are eligible to vote, and the totals will be announced Jan. 9.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Interesting list...I don't believe McGwire will get in this year, especially so close to the steriod discussions...There are some great players on that list...brings back memories...

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Whatever happens, I'm betting Paul O'Neill will whine about it.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Would everyone agree that the voters will put their ballot in for the players they will remember more, i.e., the ones more fresh on their memory?

I vote for Orel "I-sometimes-take-three-to-four-showers-a-day" (that quote from his soap commercial stuck to me for some reason) Hershiser.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That list made me remember the days when I was collecting/buying baseball cards in the early 90s.

"ANOTHER Bret Saberhagen?!?!?"

"Tony Gwynn is pretty fat"

"YES!!! A Ken Griff--wait...it's Jay Buhner!? Aw man..."

"This Albert Belle rookie card is going to make me rich one day"

6. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Hopefully McGwire gets in. Just so we can watch him high-five his fat ass Chris Farley-looking son.

7. Cesar^Geronimo

Dave Concepcion!!!!

It's hard to believe how far short-stop batting statistics have come the last decade or so. In the 70's he was a perenial all-star.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

lets not talk about the past.....
    -mcgwire

then lets leave your ass out of the hall of fame. lets not talk about your career. i hate that piece of crap. all the crap that bonds gets now...mcgwire got off easy

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

yeah your right mcqwire did get off easy but just like Bonds he never had a positive test.

10. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

How many do they let in per year?

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

No to MM.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Players on Hall ballot
    • Harold Baines
    • Albert Belle
    • Dante Bichette
    • Bert Blyleven
    • Bobby Bonilla
    • Scott Brosius +
    • Jay Buhner
    • Ken Caminiti
    • Jose Canseco
    • Dave Concepcion
    • Eric Davis
    • Andre Dawson
    • Tony Fernandez
    • Steve Garvey +
    • Rich Gossage + <- Goose Gossage to anyone who ever, you know, watched baseball
    • Tony Gwynn +
    • Orel Hershiser +
    • Tommy John
    • Wally Joyner
    • Don Mattingly +
    • Mark McGwire
    • Jack Morris
    • Dale Murphy
    • Paul O'Neill +
    • Dave Parker
    • Jim Rice
    • Cal Ripken Jr. +
    • Bret Saberhagen
    • Lee Smith
    • Alan Trammell +
    • Devon White
    • Bobby Witt

Those are probably the guys I would vote for.