1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2006 Finals were just on ABC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by francis 4 prez, Mar 22, 2009.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

or it was just the detroit/miami game, but i couldn't really tell the difference. wade goes to the line every time someone brushes his arm, you hit his feet he gets to the ft line, he knocks you down on a 3, no call, he bodies up stuckey like crazy on that final play, no call.

i like wade, but if we're going to go back to the 25 ft per game wade who doesn't get anything called on him, it's going to be hard to enjoy watching him in the playoffs. if any team ever had a title created out of thin air for them, it was the heat in those finals.

2. CrazyJoeDavola

Wade got away with murder in the last few minutes.

JVG: "That is just NBA basketball"

My respect level for JVG just went down a notch.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

he was out of bounds

4. Ari

Ari Member

There were some questionable calls on the defensive end in that game, but none of them were 'gimmes' in the sense you are making it out to be. I have not been here long enough, but it does seem like you are a bona fide Wade hater, or you feel threatened by him somehow. I will make a wild guess here, but are you by any chance a Detroit fan, or a Lakers fan?

But yeah, you are right, we all know that Wade gets away with so much more than Lebron and Kobe. I mean it is not like those guys EVER get the benefit of the doubt. Wade is just an NBA made product that the league wants to market so he gets away with murder.

5. francis 4 prez

the force is strong with this one. wade is phenomenal, i say he's the 2nd best in the league after lebron, so he shouldn't need this much help. every time someone so much as brushed up against wade on a drive he got to the line, and then he even got that call where stuckey hit his feet after he let it go, then wade knocks afflalo down and gets no call. the call where someone briefly touched his arm and he got a call, come on, that's what people complain about with his calls (and the calls that are the stuff of youtube legend). and then the last play on stuckey was a pretty obvious foul. all jvg could say was that it was the end of the game b/c it was a pretty easy call. we know wade gets that call.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I love Wade as much as anybody, but I don't blame Michael Curry for blowing up. The refs were crazy.

7. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Yao exposed on the PnR defense again.

8. kikimama

kikimama Member

I did not see the game but that's a true statement (ie. flops on Yao). Why would you put that against JVG?

9. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

I still can't believe ABC chose to rather showcase Wade than broadcast an intense game deciding on the SW division.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What is the big deal about this? ABC makes their decisions before the season starts and only rarely do they make changes. They made the right decision because only Rockets and Spurs fans like watching the two teams play each other because the games are so ugly to watch.

I'm glad they didn't make a change because we in Houston got to see both games.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no matter what i think about the calls that wade gets, i will always be grateful
    that those nonsense calls kept dirk from a ring.

12. archinkent

archinkent Member

any game with dwade, lebron and kobe in it, they would broadcast over any other games. thats nba for u

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's an ABC decision, not the NBA.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

In the 06 Finals Wade went to the line the same # of times that Kobe went against the Jazz in the 08 playoffs. Neither team can stop elite SG's. IIRC, one game Kobe had more FTA's than the entire Mav's squad.

They just didn't have anyone to defend elite wings and they didn't help themselves by getting into the penalty early by fouling Shaq.......

15. francis 4 prez

while they did have the same number (kobe 96 wade 97 by my count), the lakers scored nearly 20% more points than the heat meaning the games were much faster-paced, and the jazz led the league in giving up free throws last year whereas the mavs were right at league average in 2006. even a broken down tmac getting no calls whatsoever got 9 fta per game against the jazz. wade might've averaged 30 free throws per game.

and only wade matched the other team. wade and the mavs were both 21-25 in game 5. kobe had 12 to the jazz's 16 and 23 to their 30 in a couple of games.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The thing is.. the Jazz foul more than anyone in this league. I can believe Kobe getting a lot of FT's.. he doesn't get that much specialty as much as LeBron and Wade do. You could see that Knick game earlier in the season when he got 20 fts, and all of them were legit.

17. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

im with you on that, i hate Dirk flopwintzki.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You breathe on Kobe when he drives and its a foul.

Lebron screams and stares at the refs when he doesn't get a whistle to make sure they keep giving him the calls.

Not much of a difference in my mind.

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I finally just saw the end of that game. No wonder Curry went postal. That foul on Stuckey was a beat down and he didn't get the call.

Cost them the game.

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

They didn't make this decision at the beginning of the season though. They made it a few weeks ago when DWade started making noise about being an MVP candidate.

The only reason it irritates me is because I would have liked to hear JVG call the game.