1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 Top Selling Craft Breweries: Business Is Booming

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmoney1101, Feb 7, 2012.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Slides

only one texas brew made the list, guess which one...

let's see if we can get st. arnold on the list next year even though it's only sold in texas.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time classifying some of those as "small batch" or "craft" breweries.

3. tmoney1101

they say if sam adams gets any bigger they'll just redefine what it is to be a craft brewery. they will never be classified as a major brewery.

4. kona-

kona- Member

Dang, My garage brewery didnt make it!

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Real Ale's the best in Texas, though I need to try more Karbach.

I'm surprised Anchor and North Coast weren't on there.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Dogfish Head and Stone is where I draw the line for what I would consider actual craft brews. Sierra Nevada and Samuel Adams are just premium beers that sell a smaller number of beers because they reside in the premium beer market. They are available nationwide, and operate like macro breweries.

The definition is totally based on selling less than 6 million barrels. Miller brews 10 million per year. If they take a major hit and go under 6 they become a craft brewery.

Entire thing is a scam to charge more, Samuel Adams commercials are good for a laugh though. They really take themselves way to seriously.

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I am a big St. Arnold fan. They are nowhere in the league of the Boulevard's IMHO. My favorite, Tank 7, sells out as fast as they put it on the shelves here. At grocery stores and Specs. I think St. Arnold is better than Stone, but they have a marketing bonzanza (Read a bottle if you never have.) I have friends in the Midwest that I personally deliver St Arnold to, and they like the Pumkinator and Lawnmower and were interested by the "Movable Yeast" idea. Being available in Texas and Lousiana only doesn't help.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I thought that Budweiser bought out Red Hook.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I LOATHE ****ing slides. Lists FTW.

10. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

I'm a big fan of Bells, especially their Hopslam and Oberon. Great Lakes Christmas Ale is good. I drink too much beer.

11. Convictedstupid

St. Arnolds is ****. People over hyping it is getting old.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Red hook is owned by AB and the other 4 breweries in the top 5 are borderline craft breweries at best imo.

this, st. arnold is nothing special at all

13. tmoney1101

st. arnold's makes good beer, i've had better, but they defiantly make quality beer. Elissa, santo, stout, amber, and brown are all pretty good, santo and elissa being my favorite out of the bunch.

you can turn your nose up if you want, but they are a good brewery.

14. Bandwagoner

Saying St. Arnold's is crap is laughable. They may have some stinkers, they may have a few beers you don't care for, but they are legit. I am not trying to White Knight for them, as I don't care to change your mind, but it exposes you to say the entire brewery is worthless unless you provide some additional info. So please, expand. Is it "I will say something people like and think is good is garbage! Then they will think I am 1337!!!!"

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The Brown Ale is pretty good and Elissa is one of the few IPA's I will drink. I have not had stout, but Santo and Amber are average at best

Only one person said it was ****. It is just an above average brewery in an area that lacks quality breweries. Living in Colorado, I have 20 breweries within driving distance that are MUCH better than St. Arnold. I order St. Arnold when I am in Texas because most places offer little else. But I would never order a St. Arnold beer at a bar here.

16. Bandwagoner

And then another person (you) quoted them and said "this".....usually that means "I agree"....I think, lol. Plus I am not sure why that needed to be your first response as my post was in second person singular.

Anyways, I don't drink much, and I prefer Belgian Trappist brews (when I drink brew), but you are backtracking and you also contradicted yourself.

Your statement of "an above average brewery in an area that lacks quality breweries" and "st. arnold is nothing special at all" doesn't mesh together as it seems it is special in that regard and certainly not "crap" amirite? You saying "above average" (which I assume is using similar size breweries as a comparison and not BMC or Pabst Blue Ribbon) seems an even bigger vote of confidence than my word, "legit".

Your argument of how you have breweries closer to you, or what you would hypothetically drink if SA was available in CO, the state that brews more beer than any other, seems the most irrelevant. If I lived in Belgium is a valid argument to say all the breweries in CO are crap because there are 10 breweries within 50 miles of me that are far superior?

The thing is I agree with which SA brews you like/dislike (although I have more on both sides and even some drain pours), and I agree SA ranks at about "above average". I am hoping stupid comes back to explain why Saint Arnold is so terrible.

1 person likes this.
  17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I dig the St. Arnold's Lawnmower Ale, and Fireman's 4 from Real Ale Brewing in Blanco is the shizznit. They have that on tap at Shakespeares Pub...two pints on an empty stomach and I am doing whirlies....:grin:

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Redhook is produced by Craft Brew Alliance which is publicly traded as HOOK, and AB owns a significant minority share (something like 30%).

19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Independence "Stash" is where it's at.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

30% might be a controlling interest, for all I know. IIRC Redhook beers are distributed through Bud's distribution channels, which would make a significant difference to their bottom line.

Anyway Redhook ESB is some seriously good beer.

St Arnold's Lawnmower is another seriously good beer.