1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

2 Israeli Soldiers Kidnapped by Lebanese Hizbollah.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Franchise2001, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Israel calls Hizbollah capture of soldiers act of war By Karamallah Daher
    52 minutes ago

MARJAYOUN, Lebanon (Reuters) - Hizbollah guerrillas captured two Israeli soldiers and killed up to seven Israelis in violence on either side of the Lebanese border on Wednesday, further inflaming Middle East tensions.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert described the Hizbollah attacks as an "act of war" by Lebanon and promised a "very painful and far-reaching" response.

Two Lebanese civilians were killed and five people wounded in retaliatory Israeli air strikes after Hizbollah announced it had captured the Israelis.

Israeli ground forces crossed into Lebanon to search for the captured soldiers, Israeli Army Radio said. Hizbollah and the Lebanese authorities said there was no large-scale incursion.

Israeli troops have not struck deep into Lebanon since they withdrew from a southern border strip in 2000 after waging an 18-year war of attrition with Hizbollah's Shi'ite fighters.

Israel is already engaged in an expanding military offensive in the Gaza Strip launched after Palestinian militants captured a soldier in a cross-border raid on June 25.

"Fulfilling its pledge to liberate the (Arab) prisoners and detainees, the Islamic Resistance ... captured two Israeli soldiers at the border with occupied Palestine," the Syrian- and Iranian-backed Hizbollah said in a statement.

"The two captives were transferred to a safe place," it said, without stating what condition the soldiers were in.

A senior Lebanese political source said Hizbollah was willing to discuss exchanging prisoners held in Israel with the two Israeli soldiers captured on Wednesday. A Hizbollah spokesman refused to comment.

"TANK DESTROYED"

Hizbollah said later it had destroyed an Israeli tank that had entered Lebanon after its cross-border raid, inflicting casualties on its crew. Al Jazeera television said a total of seven Israelis had been killed in Wednesday's border violence.

Defense Minister Amir Peretz said Israel held the Lebanese government responsible for the two soldiers' fate because it let Hizbollah operate freely against Israel from its territory.

"Israel sees itself as being free to employ any means it deems fit, and the army has been instructed accordingly," he said in a statement, hinting at a broad military response.

Hizbollah, the only Lebanese faction to retain its weapons after the 1975-90 civil war, is also a political party with 14 members in the Beirut parliament and two cabinet ministers.

Israel began calling up reserve troops, signaling a large-scale campaign to retrieve the two soldiers, Israel's Channel 10 television said.

In Cairo, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State David Welch condemned what he called a "dangerous escalation" and called for the release of the Israeli soldiers.

The Israeli medical rescue service ZAKA said three Israelis were killed and eight wounded in the Hizbollah attacks.

Hizbollah earlier fired dozens of Katyusha rockets and mortar bombs at Israeli border posts and a town. Israeli gunners hit back with artillery fire near four Lebanese border villages.

Israeli planes bombed three bridges in southern Lebanon, killing two Lebanese civilians and wounding four civilians and a soldier, Lebanese security sources said.

EMERGENCY CABINET MEETING

Olmert called a special cabinet session for 7 p.m. (1600 GMT) to discuss further military action.

"It is an act of war by the state of Lebanon against the state of Israel in its sovereign territory," he told a news conference.

"We are already responding with great strength ... The cabinet will convene tonight to decide on a further military response by the Israel Defense Forces," Olmert said, threatening "very painful and far-reaching" action.

Hizbollah supporters set off fire crackers and distributed sweets in the streets of Beirut after the Islamist group issued its claim. Similar scenes were reported across Lebanon.

In Gaza, Israel targeted Hamas guerrilla commanders in an air strike that killed nine Palestinians and destroyed a building where the militants were believed to be meeting.

The Israeli military said the air raid wounded Mohammad Deif, leader of the governing Hamas's armed wing. A spokesman for Hamas's Izz el-Deen al-Qassam Brigades denied Deif was hurt.

It coincided with an armoured sweep into the central Gaza Strip, part of an offensive aimed at freeing captured Israeli corporal Gilad Shalit and halting cross-border rocket fire.

His seizure by Hamas's armed wing and allied fighters prompted Israel to launch its first ground attacks in Gaza since quitting the territory last year. More than 65 Palestinians have been killed so far in the Gaza operation.

Israel has rejected calls from Hamas for a prisoner swap for the 19-year-old tank gunner, whose seizure has triggered the worst fighting between Israelis and Palestinians since 2004.

(Additional reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi in Gaza, Dan Williams at Kissufim and Jeffrey Heller in Jerusalem)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20060712/ts_nm/mideast_dc_274

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is basically just an undeclared war at this point. Both sides continue to take actions which have proven not to work in the past. Yet they just keep doing the same thing over and over.

3. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I've been following this story but I'm not clear where these soldiers were captured so they may not have been "kidnapped" in the sense that they were sitting around in Israel and suddenly Hezbollah shows up but they may have been captured during combat which makes them POW's and not kidnapees.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Israeli troops enter Lebanon

Israel launched air strikes and sent troops and tanks into southern Lebanon Wednesday, after Hezbollah television said its guerrillas had abducted two Israeli soldiers along the border.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert described the Hezbollah attacks as an "act of war" by Lebanon and promised a "very painful and far-reaching" response, The Associated Press reported.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What does either side expect? Israel made its first incursion into Lebanan earlier. They should assume that it is possible to have soldiers captured when they do that.

By the same token Hizbollah should know that by taking these soldiers it will only escalate the misery and violence. Both sides are incredibly ignorant.

6. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

I hope I'm wrong but welcome to the Israeli-Arab War 2006

7. Cesar^Geronimo

I hope you are wrong. I think Isreal's nuclear capability will still deter this from going too far. There is no doubt that if Isreal's backs are to the wall they will strike back with force.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

my brother is in Lebanon attending a wedding...hope nothing happens. :(

9. insane man

insane man Member

why would israel even pondering nukes? this is the typical conventional flare up. send a couple tanks in. bulldoze a couple places. go back.

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Wake me when Israel is fighting a country's real army, not the local gang with AK-47s.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

From what I understand, Hezbollah killed three Israeli soldiers as well.

It's an escalation of violence in the region, alright, now all we need is a real state (i.e. Syria, Iran, etc.) joining into the fight and then we can have the first Arab-Israeli war since 1973...this could be fun :rolleyes:

12. insane man

insane man Member

its alarmist to even think that. iran can't join in...logisticlaly its just a pain and then it has the US and nukes to deal with. why would it give more credibility to the argument that its a loose cannon.

and syria...is well syria. impotent and iraq II. irrelevant.

jordan and egypt might have a more credible military (not really in comparison to israel) and they sure as hell aint getting their ass in this mess.

its the same ole stuff. everyone struts their stuff a bit. while the palestinians get screwed over more.

13. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Pardon me for the confusion, I didn't mean that Iran would just 'join' the battle if it were to break out, but they could very well be forced into it if Israel decides to strike targets in Iran, which is a very real possibility since Iran and Syria are not only allies but also support Hezbollah with money and arms.

I understand it's an 'alarmist' or a 'worst case scenario' type of thing, but it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

Of course, I didn't even mention the 'wild card' of Iraqi Shi'ites who might feel obligated to support their Shi'ite brothers at Hezbollah.

In short, the Middle East has always been 'on the edge', and it could take one small move to send the whole deck of cards tumbling down (the ‘domino effect’, if you will)...all it could take is one thing to ignite the whole region into a deadly conflict.

14. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

over the years israel has kidnapped lots of people from middle eastern countries and tortured them and held them in israeli prisons without trial or due process or anything....at least the hezbollah went after soldiers and last time i checked (my exact #s could be wrong), hezbollah and israel did a prisoner exchange in which israel gave up 50-100 prisoners and hezbollah gave back the corpse or something of a killed soldier