1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.J. Redick the best shooter since Ray Allen and Reggie Miller

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jopatmc, May 19, 2006.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I sincerely believe J.J. Redick will be the best shooter to come into the league since Ray Allen.

I'm not saying he is as good as Ray Allen. I'm saying he is the best shooter to enter the NBA since Ray Allen. When you look at the list of pure shooters in this league, guys like Ray Allen, Kyle Korver, Ben Gordon, etc., I believe Redick is a better shooter than all of them save Ray. And I think he is just as good as Ray.

And consider Korver. He's making a fine living in the NBA. He's about as slow and unathletic as it gets but he spreads the floor and burns teams when they try to help on AI and play off him. I can't help but feel that Redick is better than Korver. He's a better shooter and he's a smarter player than Korver. If Korver can make it, then J.J. will.

When you consider his career at Duke, and look at film of him getting his shot off constantly over all sorts of double teams, running off screens, squeezing that shot off against bigger, quicker defenders, from beyond NBA 3 point range, when you consider the level of competition that he was playing against and the fact that he was the focal point of the defense, for him to shoot such a high percentage from 3 point land is phenomenal.

J.J. was having to create his own shot a lot of the time at Duke and he was having to bear the brunt of the defensive thrust all the time. But he still got his and was highly effective doing it. Up fake and then dribble shoot or duck under and fire or simply face up and squeeze it off before the defender can react. He is an expert at getting his shot off and he is deadly accurate with it.

Now consider the fact that he is not going to be the go to guy on his NBA team but rather a 2nd option at best and most likely a 3rd option. How many wide open looks would he get playing with a couple of other great ballers? How many times would he keep one of those athletic defenders tied up from going to double a guy like McGrady or Lebron?

Can you imagine the Rockets in crunch time with McGrady dribbling the ball up to run the pick and roll with Yao with Mike James on one wing and Redick on the other wing? If you are the defense, what do you do? Can't zone it up because you got 3 zone busters that are gonna just stab you over and over. Can't go one on one because Yao is going to chew you up down low or McGrady or James. There is no solution for that lineup defensively. They would be so efficient offensively, it wouldn't be funny.

All that said, it's just one half of the court. J.J. would obviously be a liability on the defensive end.

But it sure would be nice to pull that kind of a weapon off the bench on a half court game in crunch time, wouldn't it? Whoever gets that kid is gonna have themselves a weapon.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i agree... there are some negatives about the guy. but i think he is going to be better then a lot of people out there constantly hating on him think he will be.

3. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

The difference? Korver was taken in the second round with the 51st pick overall in the 2003 draft. You're just looking for someone who can stick on your roster at that point. JJ will probably be a late lottery mid first round pick. At that slot, you're hoping for more than just a "I'm on the roster, yay!" guy.

Now, I agree, he won't be too terrible. But I think the reason so many people are down on him is because of the fact that shooters with little else to their game don't usually go that high. Ray Allen and Ben Gordon can do much more than just shoot, which is why they got picked so much higher than Korver...

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Nice argument for Steve Novak in the second round. ;) But we can do better for both picks.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I had to say that "I'm on the roster, yay!" made me pull one of these: :)

6. jopatmc

No, I'm not saying he should be taken at 8. I'm saying he is going to be the best shooter to come into the league since Ray and Reggie. Somebody is going to wind up with a dude that can slap up 15-20 points in about 10 minutes per game. I'd like to have him on our team as bench firepower. I can't really see him being able to be an effective starter on a Van Gundy led team because of his lack of defensive quicks.

Allen can do much more like passing and defensive ability. But I dont see Ben Gordon as doing much else besides being a bomber. He's not an effective defender at all. And the way Chicago plays, if Ben can pass, he sure hasn't shown it.

I just think from an offensive prospective, J.J. would be the ideal fit on a team like ours with a dominant center and one of the top 4 perimeter players in the league.

It's going to be very interesting to see who takes him.

As far as Novak goes, he's a very interesting prospect. I agree he's another great shooter but in my opinion he won't be able to do the damage that a shooter like J.J. can do because of J.J. has unbelievable range, not just out to the line but like 7 feet past it. And Novak in my mind is another Bullard, Marshall type player that can spot up right at the stripe but do little else and he is a mismatch defensively. Smaller quicker forwards will take him to the rack and bigger forwards will post him down low ad nauseum. Yeah, I know J.J. has the same problems but it seems like you can mask a guard's defensive liabilities a little bit with other perimeter players defensive quickness and realizing that J.J. is a very cerebral player who will play the lanes, etc. He's just going to get lit up if a non-defensive coach didn't know how to make adjustments when the opponent starts isolating him. You take him out and play another day.

But, Novak does intrigue me very much so. We need a big with range. They just seem to be more plentiful right now. Don't look now but Garrity is a free agent. Padgett is hanging around. Troy Murphy, Raef Lafrentz. Novak, Pittsnoggle. There are some options out there for range shooting bigs.

But when you look at the draft, J.J. is the single proven commodity as far as shooting goes. When you look at Carney, Gay, Roy, etc., they have loads of talent, but they haven't proven in my mind that they will become dead eye shooters at the NBA level. They weren't tremendous shooters at the college level. Is there any player in this draft that you would want spotting up at the 3 point line when you had to have a shot go down for you with TMac and Yao on the floor that would be a better shot than J.J.? Nope, none. There might be a player or players that we prefer to run up and down the floor for 30 minutes with Yao and TMac but there is no player in this draft that we would want taking the game winner from 3 point land off the double of Yao or McGrady other than J.J.

I really wish we could acquire him in addition to our #8 pick.

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Maurice Ager from Michigan or Richard Roby of Colorado look like a more intriguing players in my mind than Redick. Ager and Redick are the same size but Ager has range and can really drive to the rim -- and he is a better defender. Roby is taller and may well be available at #32. The Rocks would have to give up too much (and we don't have too much to give up) to keep our #8 and acquire Redick.

8. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If the guy we want is gone at #8, we should try to trade with NOK to get their picks (maybe our #8 and #32 for their #12 and #15) then we could Redick and Sheldon Williams, or some other 4. I'm not sold on Carney and some second rounder being better than those two anyway. If NOK would take it, I think you have to look at that trade.

10. Nero

Nero Member

Hopefully gansey will still be available when we pick at 32. We really need a both-ends difference maker with our #8... I too would not be unhappy to see Reddick on our team, but it is probably not going to happen.

But if a guy like Stockton can turn himself into a good player, I don't see any reason why someone like Reddick can't.

It's gonna be interesting, either way.

11. jopatmc

When you look at the draft analysis of Carney, they talk like he's got this great form and great stroke. Then when you look at his numbers at Memphis, against mostly inferior competition, his shooting percentages are mediocre at best.

I think our starting SG has to be able to knock down 40% of their 3 point shots.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Allan Houston?

13. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

I can name some shooters as good as if not better than JJ since Ray Allen was selected:

Salim Soudemire
    Kyle Korver
    Flip Murray
    Gilbert Arenas
    Eddie House
    Michael Redd
    Wally Szcerbiak
    Trajan Langdon
    Mike Bibby
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Cuttino Mobley
    Chauncey Billups
    Tracy McGrady

remember that Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, & Steve Nash
    were also in the same draft class as Ray Allen.

Can JJ shoot? Of course. However, don't let the Duke mystique fool you and check and see how well he shot when the games really counted in the NCAA tournament. He's no better than any of the players I've listed above. he's 6'4, unathletic, and create his own shot. he's not going to be this dead eye shooter at the next level unless he ends up on a team with a couple of really good offensive players who can open him up WIDE open jumpers. any team willing to waste a top 20 pick on him is flat out stupid.

14. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

EDIT:

CAN'T create his own shot....

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think the guy will prove you wrong. he may not be better then a lot of those players. but he is a better shooter then a lot of them. remember thats what he is good at. not defense and rebounding and handeling the ball... but shooting.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

michael redd, dirk, and peja might have something to say about that.

17. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I hate to say this , but dude, T-mac does NOT shoot as well as Redick. Our beloved Tracy is currently shooting 31% from the arc. Is he good? Yes, but inconsistent. Redick isn't either, but not THAT inconsistent. And I've seen his games. You can say this guy got zero defence, is unathletic, whatsoever. But he does create his shot. He dibbles a bit, fakes it, and then pulls a fade away lotsa times. THIS GUY DOES CREATE HIS OWN SHOT! He's not a simple take the ball and shoot guy.

18. drpepper

drpepper Member

As long as Rafer is on the team, Reddick is useless. Teams know Rafer's shot is suspect so they consistently sag off of him.

We need a PG with a decent 3% to keep the defenses honest, otherwise we're right back where we started..........

19. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The current NBA emphasis on perimeter speed and athleticism has changed the game to the point where playing solid defense now is used to trigger faster transition tempos and easier points. In case you have not been watching, playoff transition is no longer about walking the ball up court and pounding it into the low post.

The NBA game has changed to the point where successful teams must play at multiple tempos. All balanced teams (Mavs, Spurs, Pistons, Heat, Clippers, & Cavs) play solid defense which triggers easier transition points, they have players who can post up even if they are not C's or PF's, and they have players who can get their own shots. Strike 3 on the one-dimensional Reddick.

And "yes", I have seen him play enough times to make the statement.

20. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

remember that tracy was injured all of last year, and yes tracy goes cold sometimes but he ALWAYS comes through in the clutch and that's why he's on the list. to be a CLUTCH shooter is just important as being what most would consider a pure shooter. because being a pure shooter who can't hit you the shot when you really need it is pretty much useless.

and i don't know where you think JJ can create his own shot. JJ was used like richard hamilton and reggie miller at duke. he was always coming off of screens and isolated against smaller players at duke. JJ will not be able to put the ball on the floor at the next level and create shots against the athletes that the nba runs out there, PERIOD.

he's not that great of a ball handler and lacks the natural skills and athleticism to run the point in the nba. that will force him to play the 2, and at 6'4 with a suspect handle (he has too high of a dribble on the crossover) and not much quickness he won't be able to get a shot by himself.

people forget that coach K is GREAT at highlighting a player's strengths and hiding their weaknesses. that's how they have been so successfull through the years. and it's also why you've seen a lot of duke players struggle in the nba. in the nba there is no room for weaknesses to hide, they get exploited very quickly and the more you have the quicker you are out of the league. and friends, JJ has A LOT of weaknesses. he won't be a star, and probably won't be a consistent starter. he's going to be a spot up shooter off the bench, that's all. you can pick a player like that up in the last 1st, early 2nd round. it is a waste to spend a lottery pick or even a top 20 pick on a one dimensional player.