1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Only Fair

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Aug 24, 2005.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Carroll Dawson, take a bow. It's only fair that as hard as I bashed him from 1997 - 2004, that I praise him with the same fervor. A little over a year ago, this franchise was dwelling in mediocrity with no immediate prospects, drowning from the burden of salary cap albatrosses, and seemed to be on the verge of getting .50 on the dollar for Steve Francis. Fast forward to today when after the San Antonio Spurs, there isn't another roster in basketball that you would pick above this one. I don't know who it is pulling the strings down there, but whoever it is, this front office deserves a huge round of applause.

We entered last summer with:

PF Cato/Taylor/Padgett
    SF Jackson/Nachbar
    C Yao/Weatherspoon
    SG Mobley/Piatkowski
    PG Francis/Jackson/Wilks

A team destined for playoff medicority with no potential for major improvement and no cap space. There was talk of trading Steve Francis but all of the rumors involved packages where we would be receiving much lesser players.

Today:

PF Swift/Howard/Baker
    SF McGrady/Bowen
    C Yao/Mutombo
    SG Wesley/Anderson/Barry
    PG Sura/James/Head/Norris/Ward

Absolutely mind boggling what Dawson has accomplished with no cap space and in such short time. Miami is the only other team to have accomplished comparable improvement and they still face huge potential character clashes and the continued degeneration of Shaquille O'neal. The Rockets have built a versatile, deep team built around two young stars and no questionable personalities and potential for lockerroom conflict. With Baker, Norris, and Ward serving as prime trade bait or simply coming off the books next summer, they don't have any cap albatrosses and are looking like Detroit in that aspect. Their only contract of question is Juwon Howard and still he only makes $5million and is a very productive player. This team is built to where the two superstars can get all the minutes they need and the supporting cast is a nice blend of varying talents to keep them all fresh for the playoffs. They have shooting, athleticism, quickness, and of course two great players to focus the offense around.

Absolutely amazing what CD has accomplished. He pulled off the heist of the century stealing McGrady in his prime. The naysayers then said they had no depth and the deal was a lateral move. But CD didn't stop there. He packaged garbage out for Mutombo and got Bobby Sura for peanuts.

After last year's trades, the net output of the McGrady trade became:
    Francis+Mobley+Cato = McGrady+Howard+James+Barry

He resisted overspending for the fringe free agents of last summer, pulled off the midseason trades without sacrificing the first round pick, jettisoned Mo Taylor putting us in a position to be spenders, and upgraded the team without taking back any dead weight contracts or overpaying. I really don't know what is a greater feat. The above 4 or acquiring a 25 year old two time defending scoring champion.

Dawson has thrust this team into contender status this offseason with merely the MLE and LLE to work with and garnered two probable starters. I try to be objective, but any angle you look at it, the Rockets now have the 2nd best roster in the West. They are built for contention now with their depth and blend of legitimate NBA talent, and have the cap flexibility for further improvement in the future. With McGrady, Yao, and Swift only in their mid 20's, and with no albatross contracts on the books, as Sura, Wesley, and Anderson move on due to old age, the Rockets will continuously be the top destination for MLE guards.

After the John Stockton shot seemingly buried this franchise, Dawson has once again lifted it to great heights with back to back A+ offseasons. Carrol Dawson, take a bow. You are the executive of the year.

burlesk likes this.
  2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

3. thiagu88

thiagu88 Contributing Member

good post
    you sure do like the word "albatross"

4. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I agree completely. CD has been absolutley amazing these past couple of years. Not only has he brought in talent, he brought them in efficiently without overpaying (you could argue Ward but I feel that shoulders more toward JVG wanting him). Regarding your post, I couldn't have said it better myself. 5 stars.

5. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

now if we can only draft a lil better.

6. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I have to agree, his skills have grown, and his patience to let a deal come to him. JVG has also done his research on the best players to put together for good team chemistry to add around Yao/TMac, and CD has gone out and gotten them. Its been impressive, not just what he's done, but what he hasn't done.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You should be giving props to JVG, not CD. Sorry, but CD's just the puppet.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Simple answer to what you are looking for thecabbage...

Just do this: compare the RudyT/CD moves made over the past years vs. the JVG/CD moves made in the last couple of seasons.

Now you know who is 'pulling the strings' ;)

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I thought Lopez of the Chron wrote this, I was just about to post this on the ESPN board. Nice post.

CD has done a nice job, his management and planning skills have been superb in managing the cap and contract expirations. Wish CD could draft a little better so we could find that rookie gem in the draft, imagine having an Amare Stoudamre talent playing for us for 4 years for a rookie contract.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Right...because guys who are relatively new as GMs don't actually..gasp...LEARN as time goes on, do they? Of course not... it's all JVG.

Same to LongTimeFan...what inside info do you have to say it's JVG and not the person who actually has the job title?

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

No evidence, just simple 'logic' that tells me when your 'fortunes' change 180 degrees, and coincide with a coaching change, then something is up, especially if the GM is a 'constant'. JVG is the variable.

This is NOT to bash Rudy, so don't get oversensitive on me, I know how much all Rox fans love him, and he is a great coach, there is no doubt about that. But Rudy "the GM" is not that appealing.

Anyways, I could care less, as long as the team keeps making the right moves and shows signs of improvement, then I am happy, regardless of who is 'pulling the strings'.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Very nice post....agree 100%.

I am enjoying my nice heaping of crow as well !

WAY TO GO CD !

DD

13. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

Have to agree with Tiger. Looking back at our acquisitions pre-Van Gundy in the past 6 years or so, it just makes me want to vomit. Of course that's hindsight, but how else do you judge and evaluate the past? Thank God I was in school and in Austin during the dark Francis years, where I couldn't quite follow the team as much as I'd have liked to. It is not a coincidence that since JVG has arrived, our acquisitions have proportionally improved as well. CD is a great GM, he does the talking, and I like to see our wheeling and dealing as 50/50 coach and GM, but when that 50/50 was Rudy, it wasn't exactly looking too good (at least in the last half of his tenure)...one other bit of evidence that JVG does the GM'ing as well: CHARLIE WARD. You really think CD was just drooling at the prospect of attaining CW?

14. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Now this is a thread that should be made into a sticky for new members to learn how to post. That was a great thread by one of the ClutchCity old timers. Kind of gives you goosebumps.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I completely agree with the sentiment that JVG has influenced all of these moves. Like you said, one doesn't have to look any further than comparing the moves made by Van Gundy and Tomjanovich to see how painstakingly obvious it is that CD didn't suddenly just "start getting it." I mean, we're talking about comparing signing Mo Taylor for $50million and Moochie Norris for $24million as opposed signing far better players like Jimmy Jackson, Bobby Sura, and Derek Anderson for peanuts. In fairness though, Anderson came as a result of what has been created, not by shrewd convincing.

You can see that starting from declining to resign James Posey for $6mill/per, the JVG administartion's moves have been characterized by focusing on finding cheapers players who add up to a sum greater than their parts.

The credit must be given to Dawson though. He had the connections and ultimately he pulled the strings to put these deals together. It didn't hurt matters though that he had a better hand guiding him.

16. FranchiseBoi86

I hope that new scout can help us in this department.

17. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Great post. Great team spirit! Dawson had an albatross off-season. :D

GM of the year could very well be around the coner for him.

GM of the year- Dawson

Coach of the year- Van Gundy

MVP-Co-award- T-mac and Yao

Defensive player of the Year- Mutumbo!

Most Improved- Swift

Sixth man of the year- Mike James

Most time on the floor (lying on it) Sura

And your 2005-2006 NBA Champions- Houston Rockets!!!

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Cabbage, this is completely right on. CD is already GM of the year,IMO. He has overall done an incredible job over his career. Stack him deals against any other GM who has lastest as long and he has brought much basketball greatness to H town. Unfortunately, Steve Francis fell victim to him own hype. We are very lucky to get T M in those years where he is completely focused on making the people around him better through inspiration and leadership. To even talk about JVG pulling all the strings is silly. They are clearly a team, and GM to GM CD is clearly in control. It takes everybody pulling together and JVG IS NOT he GM here. Besides, he is an important part of that "sense of togetherness" these players keep refering to as reasons for coming here. That didn't start with JVG's arrival. It has developed as part of the culture that CD has cultivated.

19. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I just wanted to add another possible - IMO, probable - reason that Dawson has become a seemingly superior GM to his former self.

Answer this: How do you build a championship contender around Steve Francis? What exactly would you personally do to get that done? Probably b**** around for a few years trying different personnel combinations before ultimately having an epiphany that shows you there's no way of building a championship team around Steve Francis. Even with Yao Ming, for that matter.

Now answer me this: How do you build a championship team around Tracy McGrady? It would be nice to start off by getting a pretty good big man to go alongside him...okay, well I'll spot you that one: you also get Yao Ming. Now fill in the blanks around that. It's freakin special ed GM-ery.

20. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Good post thecab and even more good times around the corner...

Was it JVG or CD? I think it probably does have more to do with CD fulfilling JVG's wish list, but CD still made it all happen, so props to them both and whoever else in the Rockets front office wants it for that matter.

All i care about are the sick wins we're gonna have over Dallas and LA this year ( I just love beating those guys)... and of course going deeeep into the playoffs.

#20 RocketScientist, Aug 24, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2005