1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

06 is the last year for Gonzo in Arizona

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BigSherv, Sep 15, 2006.

1. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

He has mentioned many times he would love to come back to Houston. 15 HR's and 71 RBI is a big improvement over some of our batters but as usual we have a log jam in the OF. Plus he is old.

'Difficult day' for D-Backs: Gonzalez not in '07 plans

PHOENIX -- In what became the Arizona Diamondbacks' signature moment, Luis Gonzalez joyfully hopped down the first-base line and into the hearts of Valley sports fans.

Gonzalez produced the most memorable moment in the nine-year-old team's history -- the bloop single off New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera in the ninth inning of Game 7 that drove in the winning run in the 2001 World Series. It remains the state's only major sports championship.

Throw in his career batting statistics -- he's the team's all-time leader in hits (1,325), home runs (224) and RBI (772) -- and it's easy to see why Gonzalez became the club's most popular player.

But that's why it was so difficult for the club to say goodbye Thursday. During a breakfast meeting on a day off for the team, the Diamondbacks told the 39-year-old left fielder they will not bring him back for a ninth season in 2007.

Then they called a somber Chase Field news conference to break the news to everyone else.

"Obviously, this is a very difficult day for the organization," general manager Josh Byrnes said. "Gonzo's done about everything you can in this market as a player and as a person.

"Change isn't easy, but we feel very good about the cast that will continue to wear the uniform," Byrnes said.

Byrnes said Eric Byrnes, who has played center field this year, would become the club's everyday left fielder next season. Chris Young, who was recently promoted from Triple-A Tucson, will take over in center. Another rookie, Carlos Quentin, is penciled in for right field.

The club had not been expected to exercise its $10 million option on Gonzalez for 2007. But Gonzalez had said he would be open to discussing a new contract that would allow him to return for a ninth season in Arizona, even at a reduced price.

"I want to stay here," Gonzalez said this week. "There's no secret about that. I don't have any control over it."

Team officials said Gonzalez approached the club recently and asked if a decision could be made soon so he could begin saying goodbyes if he weren't in the team's plans. Managing partner Jeff Moorad, a former player agent who negotiated Gonzalez' present contract, said the club respected Gonzalez' wishes.

"I think more than anything, Gonzo desired clarity," Moorad said. "Would it have been our preference to wait until the end of the season? Of course. I think there was a legitimate need for clarification. We didn't want to play games or mislead our fan base or Luis.

"We'll miss Luis more than we can really express in words," Moorad said.

Gonzalez is expected to speak to reporters before Friday night's home game against Colorado.

The Diamondbacks have seven home games remaining, beginning with a three-game weekend series against Colorado Friday through Sunday. The team finishes the regular season with four games against San Diego Sept. 28-Oct. 1.

Though Gonzalez had held out hope that a new deal could be reached, team officials said they declined to open negotiations.

"This isn't a financial decision," Moorad said. "This is a decision about the long-term success of our ballclub."

Neither Moorad nor Byrnes would describe Gonzalez's reaction to the news. But Moorad said the organization asked Gonzalez to consider taking a position in the broadcast booth or in a coaching capacity after he retires.

"It's not an easy thing to end a relationship," Moorad said. "We made it clear to Luis this morning that there would be nothing better, in our view, than to have him come back to us at the end of his playing career, whenever that might be, and to be part of our organization for the long term, whether it's in the broadcast booth or whether it's on the field in some capacity."

The Diamondbacks acquired Gonzalez from Detroit after their debut season in 1998, and he went on to become the franchise leader in every major batting category. He hit 57 homers with 142 RBI in 2001.

Gonzalez is batting .277 with 15 home runs and 71 RBI this year.

On Tuesday night, Gonzalez became the oldest player in baseball history to hit 50 doubles in a season. He has 545 career doubles, 20th on the all-time list. Gonzalez has received a standing ovation after each milestone double at home this year.

Club officials know many fans won't be happy with the decision. But they hope fans will accept the team's long-range plan even as they're saying goodbye to a favorite player.

"This wasn't easy," Byrnes said. "Looking at a player of this magnitude, and how and when he parts ways with a franchise, there aren't many stories of a smooth transition."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

he's not going to get any better and we need to go after a guy who can generate 100+ RBI, not a guy like him.

We've got 1, count em, 1 hitter on this team that can go over 100 RBI. Compare that to the 04 team with Berkman, Kent, Beltran, and even Bagwell who could give you 90.

We need major offensive upgrades, not a guy on the tail end of his career like Gonzalez.

3. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

I agree, the only generous contract we need to give out is Biggio's

4. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Member

Wont take him as an everyday OF.

But definitely will take him over Palmeiro as PH.

5. Kam

Kam Member

i'll take him back if he roids it up.

6. Nick

Nick Member

Can't discuss offense until the pitching gets taken care of. We don't know the long-term status of Pettite's elbow (and Clemens, as a result of Pettite's uncertainty).

If both of them aren't back, and we don't find suitable replacements, it will be super tough next year (even if we improve the offense).

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

He would be a good guy off the bench.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

You think there is a chance that Clemens returns??

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

Next season i'd like our outfield to be Carlos Lee, Taveras, & Scott with Lane as the 4th outfielder. No place for Gonzo.

10. Nick

Nick Member

I would have been more optimistic about it had Pettite's elbow not come up lame... of course, if he bounces back, I don't see any reason why Andy shouldn't be brought back... which would automatically put the team in the running to retain Roger.

I could easily see Roger doing the same thing he did this year next year... especially if his groin problem isn't too serious, and he's able to bounce back well.

There's plenty of life left in that arm... and this half-season seemingly hasn't been too taxing, both physically and mentally. Plus, if the offense improves, he'll have a better shot at reaching a few more milestones, as well as being able to go out with a little flare if this team makes the playoffs.

If Andy isn't brought back, all bets are off... I don't see Roger being on this team without him.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Next year, the Astros should just say no to Gonzo, Clemens and (probably) Pettitt. It's time to turn the clock forward instead of backward. Biggio can be our resident senior citizen.

If Clemens comes back for cheap, maybe. No more ridiculous contracts for him. Pettitt has been such a big disappointment it isn't funny.

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I agree. It's time the Astros really change up the lineup.

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Amen!

14. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

You guys don't think Gonzo would help us? I was kind of thinking he could. Please don't jump on me for asking a general question. I am just discussing but I know some people think I am saying things I'm not.

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Gonzo's production has tapered off here in Arizona. Maybe he would benefit from playing half his games in a smaller ballpark. I think though if the Astros were unhappy with Preston Wilson's production, then Gonzo isn't going to make them any happier.

I think the Astros need to go with a youth movement that builds a new core around Berkman and Oswalt that can gel before Berkman and Oswalt get too old.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

He'll play somewhere, but I hope its not here...We need a major overhaul...Liks, surgery, not a bandaid...

17. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

Very good point. You are absolutely right.

18. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I definitely would not say Pettite has been a dissapointment. He was easily our best pitcher during our wild card run last year when Clemens began to show signs of wear and tear late in the season. It's getting him to be on top of his game at the same time that our other pitchers are on top of their games that is the problem.
    As for Clemens huge contract, it does not really hurt the team as it doesn't keep us from signing other players. He signed in late may, long after our roster had been completed. Our cumulative salary goes up 22 million dollars on the season but comes off the books before next season giving us space to sign other players. Then, come May, if Clemens is willing to come back and McClane is willing to pay, he could pitch at really no expense to the team in terms of players we could not sign to make room for him.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Pettitte:
    2004: 6-4. 3.90 ERA. Started only 15 games!
    2005: 17-9. 2.39 ERA. He earned his money.
    2006: 13-13. 4.37 ERA. Nuff said.
    If having one good year out of three doesn't make him a disappointment then we will just have to disagree. At age 34, it looks like Father Time has caught up to Andy. Enjoy your family and your father-in-law's church in Deer Park. Andy is truly a class act that Houston is proud to have back home.

Clemens: He's a first ballot HOFer and one of the greatest pitchers in the history of MLB. But he just needs to go. Spare us the drama and posturing during the offseason. Spare us the injuries and unreliability during the season. Just go home to Katy and become a fan like the rest of us. Mentor our young pitchers, etc, etc. But do us all a favor and go gracefully. Pleeeeease. Don't trip over your pride and ego like Bagwell. Drayton needs to take Clemen's prorated salary and give it to an impact 2B, 3B, SS or OF in addition to signing somebody like Carolos Lee.