1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“There’s another secret” about the Revolution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Dec 2, 2005.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/diec-2005/diec-revolution-controller-holds-new-secret-140588.php
    Hmm... :confused:

edit: Hehe...there goes the language censor again. :)

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not the type to wait in line or buy an overpriced console, so I'll yawn at these gimmicks until I see actual games that use them instead of some poorly implemented scheme to sell Nintendo DSs or link cords.

And I'm a Nintendo fan....

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

If you're really a Nintendo fan, you'd know that the Revolution is probably going to be nowhere near the humongous prices that MSoft and Sony are chargining for their next gen systems. You can also skip the lines and preorder online and have it delivered to your house.

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

i heard the secret is it really really sucks.

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

This is from Joystiq a few days ago.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000240070302/

I really like the idea of the new controller, so I want to see how the Revolution turns out. My money will be spent on a PS3.

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

A part of me really wants nintendo to take over again, but it won't happen.

[rant]

who cares about all these dumb gimmicks. The Gamecube sucks. It had 2 good games, METROID and Zelda. It boils down to games, and the simple fact is nintendo doesn't have the 3rd party developer support to create an extensive library. I'm really really looking forward to super smash bros 16 and zelda 8 with that silly remote.

And if the rumblings are true about nintendo's next console being very under-powered...imo, this is nintendo's last console and it will become a 3rd party developer like sega. But Sega actually makes good games for a wide variety of age groups not just focusing on the 8 yr olds.

Nintendo just seems very arrogant and not willing to adapt and create a product the people actaully want. Sort of like GM and Ford with their 25 passenger MEGA SUVS

PS3 for me.

#6 UTweezer, Dec 2, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love my gamecube, and the new controller is AMAZING....

Imagine playing FPS where you point at your target with you hand....

It rocks !

DD

8. UTweezer

you'd have to have a really really steady hand/arm to aim for a FPS, unlike having a hard surface to rest your mouse on. Not very accurate...

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

1. I love all the GC arcade style sports game.. Mario Kart, Tennis ex. and I love Smash Bros..

2. RE4 was to me the best game of the year hands down..(even though it got ported to the PS2 last month)

3. I don’t see Nintendo getting out of the hardware MRKT all together.. their handhelds still sell very very well and Sony isn’t gonna get a huge chunk of that for a few more year..

4. What's not to like about the Revolution? Dont like the new remote? Plug in one of your Game Cubes.. Tired of playing the same old games? Play one of the old NES games with some friends.. CONTRA anyone??

I don’t think Nintendo will ever be able to beat Sony or M$ at the console MRKT, but the video game industry makes more than enough money to keep Nintendo afloat.. hell the video game industry made more money than the movie industry did last year.. :eek:

10. UTweezer

They'll stay in the portable market. Although the DS looks archaic next to a PSP. I love old games, thats why I kept my NES and games. I have contra too!

I don't think nintendo will go out of business, (massive amounts of cash on their balance sheets and handheld income), but their not THE player anymore. The best thing they can do is continue the handheld thing, leave the console business and become a 3rd party developer. BUT WHO KNOWS? THE REVOLUTION might be something special, but with their recent track record, not likely.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

misleading title!

obviously i was thinking of a different revolution.

[​IMG]

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wasn't one of the rumors going around that they'd have 3d games or something??

13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, something about "stereoscopic" technology. I think it will probably be something else though. Not sure if this is what he meant, but I know there is a rumor going around that the Revolution will use custom discs (DVDs?) that hold 12GB instead of 7-9GB.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yea nintendo won't die as quickly as sega but revolution really seems to be a last ditch effort in the console industry. Sega did the same with dreamcast (which was way ahead of its time in terms of having HD capability and web browsing and online gaming) but nonetheless failed. Nintendo will probably do better than that but only time will tell. They definitely still control the handheld console market despite PSP so everything should be fine.

Also speaking of 3d games, does anyone else still have a virtual boy. I was playing mine the other day and forgot how different those are from any other system. And to think they were on the verge of making goldeneye, fzero racing, and zelda for that before it got shut down. Man that sucks.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

On the contary, I think Nintendo is playing it smart. They realize they can't compete head-to-head with Sony and Microsoft in the console wars. Gamecube proved that. They just don't have the third party support to surpass either companies in that area. So what they decide to do is create a system for the niche markets. This is gonna be a console for all those gamers who are looking for something a little different in their gaming experience, something Sony and Microsoft can't offer. The game controller is proof of that. The HUGE library of old school games (from NES to 64) that will be available to play on it is another example. I for one will be getting the system. And in all honesty, you really don't need to get both the PS3 and the 360 (leaving room for Revolution), especially considering that most games (save for the flagship titles) eventually are ported to both, if not all, consoles. So for me, it's 360 (eventually) and Revolution all the way. And btw, the price tag will be another advantage.

16. droxford

droxford Member

I think Nintendo is (again) dropping the ball:

I believe that lowering a console price in order to keep it competitive with leading units will only work if the console has features which are only slightly inferior. If Revolution features are drastically inferior, it won't sell well, even if it's cheap.

I also think that the time for "secrets" to be revealed is over. The 360 has the entire spotlight right now. And by the time the PS3 and the Revolution come to market they will be fighting for portions of the spotlight and market that belong to Microsoft. Everybody is playing Microsoft's game now.

And I believe that the Revolution's new controller will be a complete flop. And it will flop quickly after being released. I believe that people will enjoy the controller for about 30 seconds, and then, after the novelty has worn off, they will go to the standard, hand-held controller.

17. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Why does Nintendo have to take over the market? Why does the video game console market have to be winner-take-all?

Would you advise BMW of doing the same thing in the car industry?

How about Apple in PCs?

Not that these situations are exactly similar... but if Nintendo is making a profit on each Gamecube and on the games (and if the games on the GC are *by* Nintendo, further lining their pockets), then why should they stop if Revolution continues the trend?

18. droxford

droxford Member

That's a very narrow vision.

Making a profit today is okay - as long as you're securing the future. The Revolution is Nintendo's future, and I question their product development and marketing strategy.

We're not talking about cars. Or PC's. We're talking about home video game consoles. They have to be very, very careful. Look at the market history.

Magnavox, Atari, Coleco, Mattel, NEC (Turbografx16), Panasonic (3DO), Sega...

Atari was on top. They were king of the hill. They were profitable. They got toppled.

Sega fought the war. The SMS. The Genesis. The Saturn. The Dreamcast. Now they're out.

In fact, most of the companies that have fought the battle have pulled out of the console market. The successes they have found did not lead to profit longevity.

If Nintendo wants to survive, they should take a lesson from history and cling to the top spot for dear life.

Sony's putting up that fight. They're trying to deliver a competitive product at a competitive price because they know that it's hard to survive at the top, even harder to survive in 2nd place, and damn near impossible to survive in 3rd.

Nintendo doesn't seem to realize this.

#18 droxford, Dec 2, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

boy did the nintendo 64 screw them over...

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It's not narrow at all.

The car comparison is very apt. Sony and Microsoft are all about power, big money and flash. They are going to be battling tooth and nail. Nintendo isn't that game. If they do as you suggest - try and be Sony or Microsoft for the most part - they will not only lose money (it costs big to play the game Sony and Microsoft is playing) but they lose their identity, and the chance of actually cutting out a significant market share on their own.

Sega, Atari; they all died very different kind of deaths. They were losing money before their end came. Nintendo has yet to lose money. And they are putting out product that people enjoy. If they just start becoming another cookie cutter of the other two they will likely 1) not be very good at it and 2) lose the large, loyal customer base they have.

I don't see it as arrogant (Sony and MS have been much more so -even toward their own customer base - this last generation), mainly because they are trying to offer something different for everyone, affordable, and a unique experience.

The Revolution? It's already doing something right with the Virtual Console. The controller is different, but this is the company that already gave us analog sticks, rumble capabilities, 'connectivity' (which Sony is already starting to copy with the PSP) and other innovations that became mainstream. It'll be interesting to see what they have in store.

Let's face it; Sony and Microsoft give you the same thing. Just slightly altered. You just have to decide what direction you are going. Nintendo just cuts their own audience if they try and go the same path.