1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reporter Killed Live on Air

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by youknowme, Aug 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a lot more visible though.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Angry and wacko together <> good outcome. Never should have access to guns with his mental state.

3. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

BTW, how did he know where they were going to be?

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What is the cost benefits of funding mental rehab?

Take all the government funds away from jailing minor crimes (large majority due to the drug war) and I would bet you have close to enough.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I don't really know specifically. I suppose I'm thinking the EEOC is in a position as an independent third party who also deal with these complaints on the regular might have a function where they flag the crazies. Probably problematic; I don't know. When I was a teenager, my sister's boyfriend went schizophrenic. He did some weird stuff for awhile, and my family was worried (for him and for my sister), but he didn't actually get any intervention until he got confrontational and was arrested. Fortunately, he ultimately got care, but I regret we weren't more proactive at the time.

Folks, we need to get dragician evaluated by a psychiatrist. He may be a danger to himself or others.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A lot of stations tweet, post or even tease where a crew will be. He could have also followed them in his rental car from the news station.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This. Mainstream media and social media blow things up much more than they ever did before. Hell, social media feeds mainstream media in a way that causes them to report before they even know facts. They can throw out a tweet and say, "according to ____'s twitter account", and the very nature of this causes pandemonium.

Not to de-escalate this situation, but had it not been done live on both a tv station and twitter, there wouldn't have been nearly as much shock and awe behind it. It would still be a big story, but not nearly as viral as it has gone. The media aspect has caused it to send shock-waves throughout society IMO, something that wouldn't have been possible 10+ years ago.

Agree with what you said in the first part, but I think we're talking about a very, very small percentage that would actually turn to violence in this manner that this guy did. And the amount within the small percentage that have unaddressed mental health problems is likely staggering.

I think in some cases the feeling like a failure issue leads to depression and/or lack of self-esteem (and lots of lying on facebook to boost yourself in the eyes of others), but I'd still like to believe that the majority of people don't think this way.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Torture for the rest of his life would be fitting.
    Dying? Getting fed and sheltered in prison? Those are luxuries compared to what he should actually be getting.

None of these psychos are afraid of death.

#308 RedRedemption, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it makes you wonder. Our country divested in long-term mental health care in the 1980's.

I was on a jury this summer (argh) where the case was about evicting a guy from a group home. He was clearly mentally ill but our society doesn't have the right (or the infrastructure) to force him to get help. He decided to defend himself and it was the most awful and surreal spectacle. It left everyone in our jury feeling like our society is, in at least one way, really broken. That guy should be made to accept mental health care, period.

On another track, as for those noting what it takes to feel successful in America, I thought this was interesting from the LA Times:
    http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-united-states-mass-shooting-20150824-story.html

That article talks a bit about guns, naturally, but it also really underlines our culture as somewhat unique in its emphasis in unrealistic goals of success and fame. Sad.

1 person likes this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This guy was messed up and had a victim attitude. I doubt any mental health evaluations would have identified him as a threat to others. To most people, he looks like a normal person.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This is truly insane, jesus man it's like Natural Born Killers come to life......

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The gunman's video of the shooting is even more chilling than the camera feed.

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

What really chaps my ass is that this F***er is getting exactly what he wants. I wish he lived so he would have to suffer.

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

But there really isn't much you could do. Legally, I don't think you can armchair diagnosis somebody and force them against their will to get mental help.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly how do you think he would have suffered?
    Guilty Conscience?

Rocket River

16. Remii

Remii Member

Another nut case who took his anger out on innocent folks who had nothing to do with his frustrations...

My condolences to the victims and their loved ones.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many comments would this thread have if he'd waited until they had finished filming?

Steven Pinker says hi.

This is a classic case of airline crash vs car crash. It is far more dangerous to drive than fly, but because airplane accidents make the evening news with memorable flashy pictures, far more people are terrified of flying.

#317 Ottomaton, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That is largely correct in our country at present. They pretty much have to do something to get law enforcement involved. If you are worried about someone becoming a shooter, you just have to pray that he -- it's almost always a he -- crosses some minor line before they go and cross the big major line and start shooting.

I will say I totally understand those who worry about tinkering with mental health laws in terms of a "slippery slope" argument. If you don't trust a government, you probably don't want to give it power to declare you insane (say, based on, I dunno, extreme internet posts!) and put you in an institution. That's the kind of thing a lot of people on here fear already, it seems.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I haven't looked for it (at work), but that is what I heard and figured.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

America: the land of paranoid, temporarily inconvenienced millionaires.