1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Straight Outta Compton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

95 South were true hip hop pioneers - what

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i noticed they played wu tang when ice and easy were in new York.
    Can't believe they even had the doc getting his throat damaged.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's been such a long time since I heard this song that after seeing the movie it puts everything into better context. Probably the 2nd best diss behind "Hit'em Up"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bvRc7pwnt0U?list=RDbvRc7pwnt0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

on of the best scenes in the movie
    Everyone in the room with NWA knew they had just gotten SMOKED
    and there was not a d*mn thing they could do about it
    They wanted to take it to the street because they couldn't on wax

Rocket River

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

the music outside of the nwa stuff was on point, D.O.C. had a lot of screen time, i wish they would have gave public enemy a little more than a screen shot

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

I actually haven't seen it. I just don't know how somebody can enjoy a movie if they're going in with some agenda or platform. Are you like this with every movie that comes out? I'm sure we can nit pick most movies and find something morally wrong with story or characters or the actors who portray the characters.

Do you support Woody Allen or Roman Polanski? Great filmmakers but have done some very questionable things in their personal life.

7. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Good diss but not the best, that has to go to Common

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9NtJqs-WRSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

If Roman Polanski made a biopic about himself that left out the part about him raping an underage girl, then yes I think most people would point that out and be critical of it.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Roman Polanski and woody allen can't make great rap anthems.

10. Indaface

Indaface Member

I heard their film making was inspired by 2 live crew's music videos

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The movie was about NWA. It wasn't a Dr. Dre movie. How do Dre's personal demons revolving around his violence towards women have anything to do with the story of the group? Did it impact record sales? Cause the group to break up? Cause the group to take a break because of legal ramifications? Etc.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Are you saying this movie wasn't really meant at all to be a character study of N.W.A.'s members that shows their complexity? It was just a step by step checklist of events that recited the groups' musical history in the record business? That would be a shame if true.

Besides, I would say a very significant amount of the groups' lyrical content dealt with "b****es and hoes" to just kind of paraphrase that part of their catalog. The movie was concerned with the music and lyrical content, right? Particularly the songs referring to police brutality and inner city violence? It paints those lyrics as the group being brutally honest and truth tellers, correct? Then why did it choose to leave that other less "noble" part of their catalog out? Was there no truth in it? Was it just shock value filler that they added in to sell more records? Were there some events in the groups' past that lead to them having such an extremely low opinion of women? Personally, I think that would have been interesting and bold if they touched on that. Sounds like you personally don't care about that part of their history. That's fine. But to me it seems like they went the safe route, or are just simply too coward/embarrassed by that part of their history to own up to it.

I don't see any problem with criticizing a film that is essentially made by the film's subjects and intentionally leaves out the things that reflect negatively on them. You don't see how that could be viewed as white-washing your own image in a self-serving way? People had the same criticism for an American Sniper and that was valid too.

13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

There was an hour of this movie that was cut out. The difference with American Sniper is that he was already deceased. This movie was strictly NWA. You had three protagonists to follow throughout the entire movie. This isnt the same as most biopics, where you are following just one person.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

No political correct bs back in the day.

15. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Saw it today, very good movie. I was entertained the whole time and didn't realize it was 2.5 or so hours.I grew up during that era and it put everything in context.

Cube was a beast back then musically, I didn't know he wrote everyone's rhymes. That's why he destroyed them on his diss track, they lost their ghost writer.

16. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

A 'Straight Outta Compton' sequel featuring Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur is already in the works

Aug. 21, 2015, 9:42 AM

[​IMG]

"Straight Outta Compton" took home an astounding $24.2 million on opening night alone, so it makes sense that a sequel is already in the works.

According to TMZ, this time around it'll focus on the famed rap careers of Snoop Dogg, Tupac Shakur, and the early '90s hip-hop group "Tha Dogg Pound."

The movie reportedly will be called "Dogg Pound 4 Life."

The film would be set in what many call a legendary time in hip-hop, when "gangsta rap" label Death Row Records basically dominated the music landscape.

Suge Knight, one of the founders of Death Row, will be played in the movie as well, but he won't be personally associated with the film for obvious reasons.

While music will be the focus of the film, like "Straight Outta Compton," it will also address social issues like police brutality and gang violence.

According to TMZ, the actors in the new biopic won't be the same as "Straight Outta Compton."

Some of hip-hop's most iconic albums were released during the early '90s. Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" was released in 1992, and Snoop Dogg's "Doggystyle" was released in 1993 — both considered to be on the list of top rap albums ever.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/stra...ith-snoop-dogg-and-tupac-2015-8#ixzz3jVmwhO94

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Hell yuhh!

Can't wait till they get up to the 2000s for Chamillionaire and Paul Wall biopics.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eOFTTMhf4Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. This is not a Dre movie. It's a NWA movie. You expect them to go deep in the personal lives of each member? I can see doing that when it has group impact (ie Eazy with HIV). What impact did Dre's violence towards women have on the group?

But what does that have to do with Dre beating women?

Negatively on them, as in the group. This was not a Dre movie.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you are really driving that point home.