1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Webber: Culture Change (Open Court - Money or the Ring)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PJ86, Aug 13, 2015.

1. PJ86

PJ86 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e_qf01WfNZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe already been discussed but just wondering how people feel about mainly what Webber is talking about: the change of culture and there is nobody to show the new generation how to carry yourself and what it takes to be a great player regardless of rings (Jerry West reference of losing 9 championships, but still great).

I think he's 100% spot on and love how he brought up Lebron and going to Miami and how he really disliked it, regardless of right and wrong. His example of possibly joining Duncan, but didn't want to win like that and rather lose, I loved that even more! So honest and so true, but which player nowadays would actually believe or even say that?

Do you guys agree with Webber and how do you guys feel?

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I respect people like him and Nash however at the end of the day the media and casual fans still judge everything by rings. So the question is do you care about your legacy as a player?

And it's always been like that ever since the 80's so I don't know why Webber is pretending it wasn't. There were stories that Russell and Chamberlain were originally so close Chamberlain would have dinner at Russell's home after games, but as Russell kept winning and people started criticizing Chamberlain for losing again and again Chamberlain stopped coming to Russell's house. And the same was also true when people were criticizing MJ after he kept getting beaten by the Pistons.

As for Lebron going to Miami was the right decision because getting the rings shut up all the people talking about how when LBJ called him up Kobe let it ring 5 times before answering. Nowadays only extreme fanboys keep talking about how Kobe is better than LBJ, yet before LBJ got his rings in Miami a lot of people were saying Kobe was a way better player.

3. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I don't think you're getting it. Friendship off the court has nothing to do with this so that's a first. Second, did people in the 80s in their prime join other stars? Thirdly, it's not winning a ring just so people think you are great, it's about having integrity and care enough to do whatever it takes to win.

4. SK34

SK34 Member

People in the 80s and 90s did not have to join other teams because their teams were already stacked. The superstars such as MJ, Magic, Bird already had great surroundings. Those major teams were STACKED, now the talent is more balanced to many different teams.

IMHO, there is more talent in todays NBA then their was in the NBA of the 80s / 90s. More students of the game, the younger generation is coming out and learning the game more because of those that paved the way in the 70s - 90s.

5. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I get your point, good that you brought it up. While I agree they had stacked teams, the 90s had a lot of balance with all the great big men and any of the top teams could've won the title in the West (Jazz, Blazers, Suns, Spurs, Rockets, Sonics). So it would've made it easier for players to team up to put them over the top, in my opinion.

I think while people are maybe more athletic and because of the evolvement of the game (global, stretch 4 etc.) teams have 10-12 guys who are actually good, but fundamentals and all around game is a lot less than it was in the 80s and 90s. Players don't need any fundamentals nowadays to get regular minutes.

You think they are learning more now and studying more? I think while there are more possibilities to learn with all the technology and data stuff, they are actually not putting in the work. They should be a lot better based on all the information that's available now, but I'm hopeful that days will come when that will be true.

6. NotChandlerParsons

Old people think the world is going to the dogs, it's just the way of things.

I also think it's funny that he criticizes LeBron. This was a guy who refused to play his rookie ****ing contract out and forced his way out of Golden State.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It's weird I hate this dynamic about modern sports, because athletes aren't doing what the masses or what mainsteam sports writers/columnists think they should do.

When an NBA (or NFL/MLB) become a free agent, they have the right to choose to go where ever they want to, according to league rules.

A player can leave their original team for more money, more fame/notoriety, to win a championship, to be closer to their family, or whichever city has the best strip clubs.

It's ironic, sometimes that a player will be criticized for going to a team just for more money or fame, yet a player can be criticized for taking a paycut to win a championship.

Players have always done that and will do that if given the opportunity, I don't see how anyone can place morality on making any of these choices.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rockets tanked like crazy to get the chance to draft Ralph and Dream.

Lebron did the right thing. He wasn't lucky to have a draft buddy or a competent GM in CLE.

The way they took a paycut shook the league, but I feel it's more the exception than the rule.

And the guys in the vid didn't say it, but it's because all three wanted to win that they did it. The idea that you had to "earn it" some old school way is hogwash.

9. xaos

xaos Member

Sincere question, is this really a valid point considering how UNrestricted free agency has changed a lot of things since then?

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have always had major respect for Webber, and he continues to show his integrity. He's always had it, and I respect him for it. I think I agree with him for it. I also agree that he talked about it in a non-judgmental way. He just says that it is what is and culture change as opposed to what's right or wrong.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Many of those guys were on 8, 10 year contracts, and they often got extended with a couple years left on their contracts. Even if some of them wanted to team up, it was a different time financially. It's not like now when guys become free agents every 2, 3, 4 years, and their own teams barely have any advantage to keep them.

Contracts are short now, extending players is very restricted, compared to those days.

Back then they almost never hit free agent market.

If they wanted to team up, that would require a trade demand, which did happen time to time, but you can't control your destination so well with trade demands. Trade demands work much better now too because of short contracts.

12. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Man are these in full episodes or in segments now? I would love to watch the newer stuff full length.

Chris Webber speaks the truth in anything he says and I appreciate his honesty. As a fan, he's probably my second favorite power forward because he played with an attitude, swagger and passion. Yeah he'll be remembered for not winning it and his attitude at times but the dude was a competitor. And I think he's right (they're all right)when it comes to culture and not a lot of players wanting it. I watch todays NBA and ABSOLUTELY hate the smug demeanor and lack of emotion from the players. I just can't that ****.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's sad. In a way he's saying players of the previous era didn't know how to exercise leverage, despite an uncapped league. Today, players throw their weight around to achieve what they want (like when Webber forced his trade).

This generation is smarter off the court. More calculated. They use leverage to maneuver in ways the previous generation never even thought of.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ask the 15th man on the bench who made say a million dollars in his whole career
    If he would give up his ring for a 100 Million dollar contract

I think we have to have perspective
    on the court . .. in practice . .. money is not an issue
    They handle their money business in 'off hours'

Rocket River

15. SK34

SK34 Member

The league changed from big men to more skilled guards. You have more 6'6-6'10 players that can play the 2 and the 3 rather than them having to play the 4.

Similarly, this generation has many teams that can win the title in the west (OKC, Warriors, Clippers, Rockets, Grizzlies, Spurs). Then you have those other teams in the bubble that are extremely competitive compared to those other teams from previous eras (Pelicans, Suns, Kings, Lakers, Mavericks Possibly the Utah Jazz). This era has more teams being competitive.

Even with having more teams being competitive, you have those bottom feeder teams that like to tank like the 76ers.

Actually, there are many skilled players in this league. The fundamentals are there, the top players are constantly getting better and improving their fundamentals. Even those role players have certain skills that they need to be in the NBA.

Back in the day, you also had players that lacked certain fundamental skills, its normal, each players are different. The top dogs, no matter what era, always have the fundamentals down. The role players on the other hand, only need a skill or two to be good for the league.

The younger generation despite being more athletic, are still very fundamentally sound. [/quote]

Maybe they are more efficient. The new data allows them to focus on the things that need to focus on to win. For example, the Dallas Maverick beating the Heat in 2011. Mavericks had a bunch of data sets that allowed them to pick and choose what to focus on defensively. The did their due diligence, having more data and more videos allows them to study the game more. Its easier now to figure out what a certain player lacks in his game, and you see those younger players trying to improve that aspect of their game.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He sounds like a hater. "Win like that". What, with help? If he went with Duncan he would have been joining a better player on a great team. LeBron was the best player and Wade hadn't been past round 1 in 4 years. And LeBron still has to lead the team in almost everything and be the best defender. Would Webber have had that impact in SA?