1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adidas Offers James Harden $200M to Leave Nike

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Victorious, Aug 3, 2015.

1. NotChandlerParsons

Curry just had perpetual ankle sprains that they seem to have figured out how to prevent. He wasn't injuring every part of his body

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Don't think they can afford to.

Works for me; can't wait for Harden to finally get a sig shoe. AD and George should have one too.

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Didn't Nike make billions in 2014? Pretty sure if they really wanted Harden, they could have matched easily.

4. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

Harden wore these during USAB minicamp (after the news leaked that Nike won't match)

Nike Hyperchase PEs
    [​IMG]

If Harden does go end up under Adidas, the newer models look promising...

I really like the looks of the new Crazy Quick 3, looks like it could be a good hoop shoe. The JW and D12 signature shoes look mehhh, but better than last years IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....people said the same thing about Blake Griffin re: he needs to stop throwing his body around and Amare is a totally different case - he got perhaps the worst injury in all of sports - one requiring microfracture surgery - something AD never has needed.

....also, regarding Curry - his athleticism is absolutely a crucial part of his game and why the ankle issues were of such concern for him. That's why he is able to get into the paint at will and create open shots for himself on the threat of a drive. He's not just a shooter, he turns direction very fast, and moves with the ball as fast as any player in the league. That's how he has the space to take shots with his quick release despite the fact everyone knows he is a lights out shooter - he is just as much a threat to blow by you and finish at the hoop as he is to pull up so players have to give him a little space and the margin between too far and too close is very thin and that's due in large part to his athleticism.

6. TheMountainTop

I think Nike has the market share cornered. Its wise sometimes to let the competition have a slice of the cake as long as you keep the portion with the cherry on top. That is from a business point of view.

I never was really an Adidas fan. I'm surprised to hear that Under Armour beat them out in sales this past year in the United States.

1 person likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is one of the better articles I have seen about the Adidas strategy that puts their company direction in perspective as it pertains to them throwing a huge deal at Harden. Check the video at the bottom. In short, Adidas punted on the league merch deal(the one Nike just signed for $1 billion) and instead they are focusing more on brand marketing through an expanded presence with endorsing athletes. I think it's actually a pretty smart deal for Adidas - people look at ballers shoes more than the logo on their jersey - it's part of bball's culture and why Nike has been so successful - they do everything they can to make sure prominent ballers are wearing their shoes from AAU, to high school All Star Games, College, and Pros.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/12/did-nike-overpay-for-the-nba-apparel-contract/

1 person likes this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Right - their brand wasn't getting the exposure with their investments in NBA Apparel, or in their players - Rose hardly played(poor luck really), John Wall has never gone deep in the playoffs, and the media on the whole essentially turned on Dwight at the end of the Magic era which effected them as well(it's amazing what leaving a reporters out to dry will do to your reputation - and bring down a shoe brand's investment yield in the process).

I'm also surprised by Under Armour's increased market share - is that in US total sales or just basketball? I can see total sales because I associate Under Armour more with football but I would be shocked if that's just basketball.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

First off amare had more good years than Davis has been in the league before needing micro surgery, You act like he came in the league with bad knees. I stated I think he'll change his game and his coaching staff agrees with me seeing as they want him to play more on the perimeter this season and shoot 3s. If you don't think he is going to get hurt flying all over the court fine but I'm just stating that type of play results in more injuries it's not Rocket science.

Now about curry of course he's an athlete he's in the NBA but his ball fakes and ball handling are the reason why he gets in the paint at will he's not iverson or Westbrook. He has a tough time blowing past any defender that plays up on him that's why I say his game is not predicated on athletism. Theres a major difference between curry and Davis athletism it's not even close and to try and compare the two is just wrong. Curry strives on being extremely skilled with some of the best ball handling and head fakes the game has seen to get in the paint, rarely does he go ISO and not launch a 3 he uses the court not his athletism to puncture a defense with his drives.

Your the only person iv seen say curry is athletic, even curry himself makes fun of his athletic limitations.

10. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Wow really? Here in Australia, I'd definitely see UA as basketball more than Adidas and Adidas more of a football brand.
    Even when I was in the states earlier in the year we checked out a few UA stores for basketball training gear for the kids but I was shocked at how expensive it was compared to Nike.
    But the UA gear was way better looking.

11. TexxasBoy

TexxasBoy Member

???

What are Thooooooooose!!! :( :mad:

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

dwight howard's deal with adidas is up or should be up soon. what shoe is he wearing during USA camp?

13. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Those last pair of adidas looked nice.

14. TheMountainTop

It was in total sales in North America

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

thought he signed with peak?

16. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

I really like those hyperchase

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Generic" NBA shoe for Dwight

[​IMG]

Does Dwight look "wide"? :p Maybe just the shirsey.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hanging with CP. ;)

[​IMG]

18. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

The Nikes look so much better. All 3 Adidas look inferior in comparison

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sad thing is 40% of CF is panicking now about Dwight going to Dallas next year. The other 40% are happy he'll be leaving. The other 20% are relatively sane.

Chandler is with Peak, right? You'd think he would have signed with the Tom Brady brand or something.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Exactly right. :)

50% want him back only at a reduced/significant pay cut.

The other 50% say Good riddance, we can just spend his money on someone else!
    Even though that's not exactly how it works.