1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2015-16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2015.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree with you. Ariza's playoff performance was really big for us. Brewer isn't the defender that Ariza is, Thabo can't shoot and McDaniels needs a lot more time to flourish.

Horford is a true difference maker, but Morey should not give up more than D-Mo, Dekker and a low 1st round pick for him.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Fair enough. Ariza is very important to this team, but Horford is one of the top 20-25 players in the league. Our small ball lineup would be crazy.

Lawson
    Beverley
    Harden
    McDaniels
    Horford

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

What about Markieff Morris on the cheap? He wants out.

4. basketballholic

You need $6.32 million of outgoing salary to trade for Markieff. And you'd also need Markieff to modify his contract and make the last 3 seasons of his contract non-guaranteed.

No way we can trade for Markieff right now because we don't have the junk salary to give PHX to do the deal. We sure aren't going to trade Capela, DMo, Ariza, etc. for him.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

TJones for Scola and a lottery protected 1st

TJones actually gives the Raptors a very good replacement for Amir Johnson (and he probably has more upside than Johnson too).

Scola is a good rebounder, and provides a similar skillset to DMo which should allow our offense to continue to operate seamlessly when DMo sits. Also, if we trade for him between December 15 and 19, we should be able to flip him at the trade deadline if we need his salary.

6. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

I dont much care for TJones, but with Lawson i think he will improve while a guy like scola cant run the floor as well. While scola will be backup, im sure he will play along side lawson occasionally.

7. basketballholic

Trade for either Zoran Dragic using our TPE or for a minimum salary player. Merge that salary with Terrence and trade for a player like KHump plus a second rounder or possibly a flip of Washington's first rounder (lottery protected) for our Knicks second rounder in 2016.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL still trying to get rid of Jones. Smh

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know. He's so certain Tjones doesn't even belong in a YMCA pickup game.

Jopat should stay away from absolute certainties.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed. Some of the trades proposed here involving Jones are RIDICULOUS. Suggesting trading for scrubs and useless players that are almost out of the league (Granger) or late second rounders.
    Normally the opposite problem exists with posters severely overvaluing the Rockets players but not with Jones. :rolleyes:

BTW I would love to trade for Markief. Chances are he pays his way out of his legal troubles, and anyway his bro was the one who did the major crime and damage not him. Markief contract is one of the best bargain in the league and will get even better with the next two cap rises. If you exclude rookie contracts/extensions and second rounders Hinkie specials (Covington) he has the best contract because it goes for so long.
    His contract is half of what Jones/DMO will get in a year. It will soon be the equal to the MLE.

11. Mimex

Mimex Member

Crazy idea for a trade:

Out
    Brewer
    Tefrence Jones

In
    Markieff Morris
    Right of Bogdan Bogdanovic

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Wonder whats the calling price for MKG.

I be more than happy if its just Jones + future picks + fillers.
    Ariza and Brewer is good. But MKG is just a steady jumper away from being an All star

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm wondering why anyone is trying to trade Jones at this point - he and DMo along with an unsigned Harrell are all they have at the PF spot.

I'm wondering how Morey handles Harrell's contract situation , we all know he'd like to lock him up with a 4 year deal but offering anything more than 2 years at the minimum means tapping into what remains of the MLE which hard caps them.

They have 13 players under contract .... and just enough space to sign Harrell to a two year min deal and then fill the last spot with a one year vet min deal since the league picks up a portion of that. Who and how those last two spots are filled will be very interesting. Morey's going to have to get very creative ....

One way to get around it would be to trade the rights to Harrell (before he's signed) to another team in exchange for a contract that fits the Shved TPE.
    There are a couple positions you could trade for them sign a vet to a min deal filling the other position of need (PF / PG) with one of Boozer or Ridnour. Boozer as a 3rd option behind Jones and DMo wouldn't be so bad .... other than that Utah stench he has.
    I doubt Morey wants to do that but it is an option should he not be able to come to terms with Harrell.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

IMO, there is still 1 need and 1 want to fill out the roster on this team.

The "need" is a 3rd string guard that can somewhat run the offense. After Lawson and Harden, ask yourself "who can move the ball without turning it over?". I think we want Terry for this, but it doesn't seem like he's willing to take our offer.

I'd prefer a young guy on a minimum/rookie contract, and after cycling through league rosters, my favorite option is Lorenzo Brown.

Lorenzo is coming into his 2nd year in the NBA, and is currently 6th on the depth chart at guard in Minnesota. His contract has a small partial guarantee for 2015-2016, and he is a RFA next summer. Given that Minnesota just signed Andre Miller and drafted Tyus Jones, I find it very unlikely Lorenzo makes it through training camp.

What none of this tells you is that the guy can absolutely finish around the rim (58% in 2014-2015), has a 3 to 1 assists to TO ratio, and averaged a steal a game on just 19 mpg. He's big at 6'5", and has good upside as an on ball defender. His question mark coming out of college was his jumper, but he shot 38% from 3 in the D-League last year and looked good in summer league play.

I think there's a good chance he gets cut during training camp, so I might approach Minnesota with an offer to take on his small guarantee just to avoid the risk of him getting claimed off waivers, and if that's not enough, throw in the rights to one of our euros.

The "want" is an upgrade at PF, but I have no idea on the "who" or "how". Our best bet is just to wait and see what pops up during the season. If Atlanta struggles then I could see Al Horford hitting the trade block, and Chicago has several quality PFs and not enough minutes to give to all of them.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Nice find. That sounds like typical Morey diamond in the rough guy.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Al Horford will be a ufa in one year. There is no point in trading for him. He will get paid his max and atlanta will be the first in line rushing to pay him that.
    From Chicago Taj is the prime suspect to get traded and he has a nice contract too. They are looking for pgs though or at least a good wing. If hoidberg doesn't get to a good start I can seen them definitely trading him in the trade deadline especially if they can save money.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well there could be a point in trading for him. If we where to sign him in the off season, we would likely renounce Dmo and TJo because why lock up 45 million at one position. If Hawks would take Dmo and Tjo + fillers for Horford at the deadline why not?

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Because the money doesn't work.

The Rockets being over the luxury tax would have to send out roughly $9.67m to bring back Horfords $12m contract. Jones & Dmo only add up to $4.77m.

19. fattz

fattz Member

Kendall Marshall is coming off an injury (ACL); is still available. IF signed to a one year minimum he would be an upgrade to J.Terry, IMO. Time for him to get healthy and get a bigger contract when the cap goes up next season.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's where the fillers come in and save the day!

Possible combinations

KJ, TJo, Dmo and Dekker for Horford and Hardaway(TPE)

Brewer, TJo, Dmo for Horford and Sefelosha