1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop with the DMo/Jones stats per 36 minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Aug 8, 2015.

1. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Yes you could use a per minute stat. It's the same as a per 36 stat one is just a multiple of the other. It doesn't make per36 meaningless. Per36 is used because a starter will average close to 36 minutes. Dmo is not there yet but when he becomes a regular starter he will approach 36. Using that stat just allows you to extrapolate his numbers to see what he might (not will) achieve with increased minutes. Maybe he'll do worse. Maybe he'll completely hit those numbers, esp if he's on a time that will feed him the ball and let him get touches. If we're worried he only currently gets 29 minutes so he hasn't gotten 36 yet, just use a per 29 and compare other pfs using the same minutes. No one says that stat is end all be all but it's a useful data point. As long as people don't overly rely on it it still has value.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I call it the " What if he played 36 minutes a game". People uses that just to dress up or dress down their stance on a player.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Have to come back healthy first. And now with Lawson everybody stats should increase not just Dmo.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dmo's is 0 because he hasn't played in any meaningful minutes in the playoffs.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

which was the point of my post…..we still have little idea how dmo will score and rebound in the playoffs when opposing teams significantly up the game planning for post players and it's war inside the paint area. dmo could have a greatly improved upcoming regular season and then become a total dud in the playoffs -- and DM will be back to the drawing board still looking for that PF

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Per 36 minute stats are inflated. Only 6 players actually played 36 minutes per game last year. Only 32 played 34 minutes per game.

Most people compare their guy's per 36 numbers to other players per game stats.

7. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree it's often inflated. If it's used it should also be compared to other per36. Also just bc its overinflated doesn't mean it's a meaningless stat. Like all stats it needs context. I don't really care whether it's per36 or per32. The idea is you're taking a starting point to compare production using a similar time. Of course production often drops off, but that's something to be taken into account. It doesn't make the stat useless like the OP seems to insist. Having said that I'm all for using various stats and understanding the most have weaknesses and should be interpreted carefully.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think per-minute stats have their place. It assumes that a player's per-minute production will be roughly the same as you scale up their minutes. For many players this may end up not being the case, but it still gives an idea of what the player's potential is if he got more minutes. What's a better way of projecting what the player's potential would be if his minutes increased?

Even if the player's minutes don't go up substantially, it can still be helpful. If you bring in two players to fill in a position, and their minutes add up to around 36 minutes a game, looking at per-minute stats would be helpful to project production at that position.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Per 36 is a crap stat. Fouls, stamina etc. People use it to justify/pump up a guys value but it is lame to me.

10. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

What would you like the NBA and stat evaluators to use as their mpg baseline to commonize stats to compare players? The point of 36 mpg is essentially the absolute most a player would average and thus you can compare all the other players to that (in theory) best player.

I am not sure you understand the entire concept.

11. omgTHEpotential

Can we use PER32 then, gramps?

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think the per36 stats (or any advanced stats) would bother anyone if fans didn't point them out as some end all be all. A player having per 36 stats that are comparable to some star means absolutely nothing on it's own. You have to take into account so many other variables. I think role has the biggest impact on per36 numbers but there are other factors.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

heypartner's reason to reject per 36 minutes stats is weird. It has nothing to do with whether anyone plays 36 minutes. 36 is just a random number used probably because most starters play around that much. But it is the same as per 100 minutes or per 1 minute. It is intended to level the playing field, so to speak, for players who has different play times for whatever reasons.

It is pretty meaningless to compare a 15 mpg guy to a 38 mpg guy. They are very different situations. Playing less allows you to expend more energy without having to worry about fatigue and foul trouble. On the other hand, playing more gives you better rhythm.

But it is quite meaningful to compare per-minutes stats between say a 20 mpg player and a 25 mpg player. The play times are close enough to compare and far apart enough to skew the raw numbers.

14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I used it the other day because someone had the great idea to get Morris from the Suns and give up Jones. I pointed out some per 36 stats for Jones and Morris. Morris has way more games but they play roughly the same number of minutes per game. 36 minutes per game was a great way to compare the players production. It's not the end all be all but it gives a fair baseline. So I won't stop using it where applicable. You'll just have to bare with me. Now I love DMo he isn't a superstar but he is growing as a stretch 4 with good post moves. He could develop further and in a few years be at 36 minutes a game. So sanity can exist with those that use 36 stats like DMo but realize he isn't a basketball god at the moment.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

per 36 doesnt factor in injuries, health, fatigue, volume, defensive pressure, etc. useless pos stat even i know and im not big on advanced stats. "dude his per 36 is 28ppG!" "omg but his fg% drops to low 30s and his fouls are over 7 a game!"

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Unless you are a 7'6" injury prone center who plays year round backetball coached by Adelman. In that case you play 37.2 mpg till you blow out.

17. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Sure its a mostly empty stat, but so is points, rebounds, assists, blocked shots, etc.

Per 36 is better than just the basic points/rebounds/etc stats because it attempts to put everyone on a per minute level playing field, but it still falls well short of explaining a players real value.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That is crazy to think about now, big Yao played 38min a game....Dude was a beast and one of the best offensive centers to ever play the game, I stand by that. Had he not got hurt and had a healthy career I think he could have cracked the top 10 in greatest centers of all time.

Yao is kinda like the Bo Jackson of basketball except he didn't play to sports. Just a freak of nature and more dominant then any other player at his position for the few years he played. Guys career will always be a big what if.