1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things to do in Denver

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Aug 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Guys, I'm going to Denver in a couple weeks for a couple of days, need to know what to do and where to go? I'm going for "Leisure" aka Pleasureville @HeyP I'm looking at you sir! Staying close city center which I think is downtown, I booked off trivago, so I'm already set to go. Hoping to go out and have a good time with my friend. We're staying at the Quality Inn, so anything close by there that anyone can recommend will be greatly appreciated! And NO, I DO NOT SMOKE THE WEEDS. :)

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Smoke the weeds?

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hsojt7iEcTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you dead? If so there's a.film for you.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Congrats on your upcoming trip! My family and I have been there many times, but never in the summer. Regardless, I'm pretty confident that you won't be disappointed, it'a beautiful city on the doorsteps to the Rockies! I don't know exactly what a couple of days means, but if you have enough time, a day trip to Estes Park is what I recommend! Stop in Boulder on the way there and give heypartner a big "brah hug", just don't eat any of his homemade brownies, since you don't mess with the "Ganja"..... (I'm Ganja free myself ;))

ALSO, be sure to wear your Rockets gear and tell as many as will hear how we traded Dorsey for Lawson!..:grin: Tell them that this is what happens when one party is full of "Ganga" and the other party is led by Morries!..:eek:

Have fun brah, and post some pic when you get back!

1 person likes this.
  6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

ski/snowboard

1 person likes this.
  7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OcZAsLekb9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Go to The Fort and get the Game Plate.

Elk + Buffalo + Quail = Awesome!

It's a few miles out of town though.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

don smokes it, eats it

The 10 mg. dose they sell is just a nice bzz

10. LCAhmed

We'll be there for 3 full days, Weds morning we land at like 10am, We do not leave until Friday evening where I will be back in Houston at like 11:30pm. So that's very possible. Not sure if I'll be renting a car since the hotel we booked is so close to city center, but I'll reach out to HeyP.

I've never done that, it sounds fun! But it's like 90 degrees up in Denver, not sure if I can?

I'm a Houstonian, a few miles to get a good eat isn't a problem! :) But I'll definitely see if my friend would be interested in trying something like that! Thanks for the tip!

11. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

The best things to do in Denver are, IMO, not actually in Denver. I would seriously recommend renting a car, as there are a bunch of incredible things to do within 90 minutes of the city. If you love impressive natural vistas, you have your pick.

As previously mentioned, Estes Park, to the northwest of Denver, is in the heart of Rocky Mountain National Park - you can visit the Stanley Hotel, Stephen King's inspiration for The Shining (and filming location of the remake, as well as Dumb & Dumber). Trail Ridge Road traverses the park, is only open in the summer, and is an absolutely spectacular drive.

You can reach the summit of Mt. Evans in 90 minutes by heading west on I70. If you want to see the resort towns insted (Keystone, Breck) stay on the freeway and you can be there within 90 minutes of Denver also. I was just there last month, and there was still a good bit of snow on the peaks. Not enough for any winter sports probably, but enough to make you ooh and aah if you take the Breck gondola to the top. There's a bunch of neat old mining towns out this direction as well.

90 minutes to the south toward Colorado Springs, you have the Pikes Peak area. From there you can drive the Pikes Peak highway to the top or take the cog railraid straight up the mountain to the summit. If you've come this far, you have to check out the Garden of the Gods as well.

Other things closer to Denver that I like are Red Rocks Ampitheater and Buffalo Bill's grave at the top of Lookout Mountain high above Golden. It's not really my thing, but you can tour the Coors brewery in Golden as well (it's free, and comes with samples!).

I rarely stay long in the city when I'm there, but if the Rockies are in town, I'd highly recommend a game at Coors Field. It's one of my favorite stadiums.

#11 Hammer755, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Coors Field is a really awesome ballpark, if you like doing baseball games.

1 person likes this.
  13. dragician

dragician Member

I don't smoke the weeds too, I just eat the brownies :)

14. body slam

body slam Member

Hammer755 gave a great list of things. I'd like to add

white water rafting
    Garden of the Gods
    Black Hawk or Cripple Creek if you want to gamble

15. LCAhmed

So I looked up car rentals in Denver between the 19th and 21st of August (my trip) and it's asking for like $130/day+. WTF did I miss about car rental prices going sky high?! Can anyone fill me in? Last year I rented a car from LA, Drove to Vegas, and came back over 2 1/2 days for $160. They want that amount per day!

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're not the first person I read this week complaining about that. Here is a thread on TripAdvisor about it:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._airport_car_rental_fees-Denver_Colorado.html

1 person likes this.
  17. Dubious

1 person likes this.
  18. HoustonRockets

Anyone been rafting within CO in early September? Since it's late in the season, I'm not sure if it will be fun due to the lack of rapids.

19. Dubious

Not that late but the Royal Gorge trip was one of the best rafting trips We've done

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

1 person likes this.