1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But the other guy was a LOOGY (not really somebody you can rely on for multiple innings)... and the extra starter is essentially the "long man" when needed (like Fiers was last night).

The core of the pen remains (in this reverse pecking order):
    1. Sipp (for lefties)
    2. Fields
    3. Qualls
    4. Harris
    5. Neshek
    6. Gregerson

As this team is close or winning most games, I just don't see a dire need for another arm besides the 6 man starting rotation they have. VV was having to throw extra bullpen sessions after games just to get some work in.

Also, its really valuable to have Qualls back pitching better... I can see him getting some 8th inning opportunities (especially against lefties) that are currently going to a possibly overworked Neshek.

Having a "worn out" bullpen due to winning is a pretty good problem to have, IMO.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros do have a long man, it was Fiers last night. Moving forward, it will probably be Straily or maybe VV.

We still have 12 pitchers, unfortunately McCullers getting rocked forced us to start Straily today.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Guess we will just have to disagree

While I haven't been crazy about the 13 man pen all year, Hinch has obviously gotten used to it.

Neshek Had only pitched back to back 6 times this year, then goes 3 nights in a row and 4 games in 5 nights in the last week.

Gregerson's use has obviously been driven more by save situation or not all year. He has been used 3 games in a row three times before the past week. In all three of those cases he got off at least 4 days following that. Last week he threw three in a row again (same three games at Neshek) and then came back for his 4th game in 5 nights.

Now if we might think they can keep up that kind of use that will remain to be seen I suppose. But there is no questioning whether or not they are being used more since the changes in the pen, and that is before last night's disaster and really has nothing to do with the long man situation.

To me, it's not good for those guys to be ridden so hard, when the only "benefit" is to have Carter on the squad especially.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Must win games in August...

Angels have a rather easy schedule in August, while ours is slightly harder (vs potential playoff teams).

3 games up, but if we get swept... it could be a 1 game lead. Can't give Angels hope.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

We can't really let one game cloud our assessment of our pitching staff. Nobody was expecting McCullers to get rocked in that fashion last night, and it ended up costing us a scheduled start from Fiers, but in the long run, I think our bullpen is in fine shape. We'll have a long man in either Velasquez or Fiers going forward, and we'll still have 12 pitchers overall to choose from.

6. The Beard

Yea we simply can't get swept

Not only would it give the Angels a break, it would leave the Cockroaches only 5 games back with a long way to go. Need to slug it out tonight and get the W

7. newAge_Rockets

I have low expectations for tonight's game with Dan Straily pitching in one of the best hitters parks in baseball. Hopeful that he surprises

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

ESPN

Kris Bryant (1), 3B, Cubs: Debuted on April 17

Jerry Lai/USA TODAY Sports
    After just seven games for Triple-A Iowa, Bryant was called up in mid-April by the Cubs only one day after it was ensured that he wouldn't be a free agent until after the 2021 season. Bryant struggled in his debut, striking out his first three times at-bat and going 0-for-4. He collected his first major league hit in his second game, going 2-for-3 with his first RBI. Through 95 games, Bryant has a .791 OPS, with 14 homers and 61 RBIs (tied with Anthony Rizzo for the team lead).

Byron Buxton (2), CF, Twins: Debuted on June 14

Kevin Jairaj/USA TODAY Sports
    With Torii Hunter suspended and Aaron Hicks injured, the Twins called up the 21-year-old Buxton from Double-A Chattanooga. Buxton, who has missed considerable time over the past two years with injuries, hit .283 with six homers, 37 RBIs and 20 stolen bases in 59 games with Chattanooga this season. Buxton went 0-for-4 in his debut, but scored the winning run in the top of the ninth for the Twins. He collected his first big-league hit (a triple) in his second game, going 1-for-3 and scoring two runs. Buxton is currently on the 15-day disabled list with a left-thumb sprain. In 11 games he hit .189 and struck out 15 times.

Carlos Correa (3), SS, Astros: Debuted on June 8

Matt Marton/USA TODAY Sports
    Just 20 years old, Correa was called up by the Astros after playing in 53 minor league games between Double-A and Triple-A this season. Making his debut in Chicago, and facing one of baseball's best pitchers (Chris Sale), Correa collected his first big league hit on an infield single, driving in the Astros' only run. Through 48 games, Correa is hitting .297 with 13 home runs and a team-high .917 OPS (mininum 100 at-bats).

How is Correa at #3 and below Byron Buxton!!??? Buxton is currently on the 15-day disabled list with a left-thumb sprain. In 11 games he hit .189 and struck out 15 times.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The article says the rankings were Law's offseason rankings.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I feel better with Straily than I do Fiers from his showing yesterday.

Can Fiers be optioned? Not saying we should, or he is going to be, just want to know if he can be?

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Why is Straily starting over Hernandez? I understand he's only 26, but he hasn't shown anything in the majors or minors since he started with the A's. I know we DFA'ed Hernandez but he's pitched better for the last few seasons.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

No Jed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="es" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> lineup
    4 Altuve
    8 Gomez
    6 Correa
    7 Tucker
    DH Gattis
    9 Rasmus
    5 Valbuena
    3 Gonzalez
    2 Castro
    1 Straily</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/628665925550497792">August 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. newAge_Rockets

Chris Carter doesn't even play anymore. Just DFA him.

14. HstnSprtsFan101

Don't think that was a fair time to assess Fiers..having to unexpectedly come in as a long reliever. I like Fiers and think he'll be solid for us. The Front office has to like him and he was a big part of the trade. I don't think they would've given up close to what we did if we were just receiving Gomez.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Easier to put him at DH for home games only, as they can play Gattis in LF at MMP... and also easier to justify doing that against lefties only as that's the only viable way you're going to get Tucker out of the lineup.

So basically we're on a "home-game only, lefty-only" basic criteria for considering Carter... and I guess they'll also occasionally consider "previous success vs. a specific pitcher" as a factor, or previous success at a certain ballpark (e.g. Seattle).

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros rotation at Oakland:
    Feldman on Thu
    Keuchel on Fri
    McHugh on Sat
    Fiers on Sun</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/628684304608931840">August 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man I wanted our best pitchers against Rangers all day at work today all I heard was "what happened to your Astros last night" I don't have a good feeling about Straily :(

18. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know Fiers didn't look good even though he finally settled down. This is why I felt the Astros needed one more good pitcher to get before trade deadline ended

19. The Beard

Fiers will be fine

Wasn't even expecting to pitch last night. Then has to warm up quick, go in a crazy game with little notice, and throw in 100+ degree sauna conditions

Fiers has been very solid all year, everyone needs to relax on worrying about him

20. Buck Turgidson

*cough* Elarton *coughgag* Micelli *chokewinkbarf*

[quotes]Damn you! You blew them all to hell![shakesfist/pounds sand/endquotes]

Let me know if I'm using the "quotes" or *asterisks* incorrectly.