1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He made the most of that injury and built a personal brand separate from any action in the ring, and probably became the most serviceable actor of the bunch other than T or Ventura. 61 is certainly old enough for heart stuff, so I'm comfortable not speculating about steroids, et al.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Sheik was broke and broken down and looking for knee surgery or something the last time I recall reading about him. Oddly enough the guy that played the role of Volkoff said in an interview I read a few months ago that Sheik was the nicest guy in person and loved kids and would always sign autographs for them. But he said, he got mixed up with drugs and alcohol and became addicted and it started screwing up his body. I think Sheik's daughter was killed (murdered?) about 10-15 years ago and he's been busted with drugs since then. I know Volkoff is still involved in wrestling, but I think he was also into politics or something somewhere in the US. I think he's one of the few famous wrestlers that seemed to have kept his head on straight.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did you watch the Sheik documentary on netflix? it's good

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, but I'm googling stuff now to see whatever happened to him and I see something about a crowdfunded movie or something that came out not too long ago.

It's kind of sad what's happened to some of these guys. And through it all, Jake still lives... lol :

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">First Dusty now Rowdy. Devastated. Period.</p>&mdash; JakeSnakeDDT (@JakeSnakeDDT) <a href="https://twitter.com/JakeSnakeDDT/status/627258878342864896">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

RIP Roddy Piper. He was always great.

I'll always remember Jake the Snake as being the guy that Stone Cold beat up to really launch himself to stardom (and the "Austin 3:16" stuff). Want to say it was King of the Ring 94?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xUpm6I2EhnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Googling, rememberin names, and I came across this. Million Dollar Man is anot her guy who stands out. I guess I liked the bad guys more.

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Man those old school wrestlers were like a combination of NFL and rockstars. Years of extreme physical trauma and drugs cuts years off life. RIP

8. Raven

Raven Member

Best fistfight ever!

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GKXpSyjfIik?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Would like to see some stats on the average age of death of pro wrestlers compared to NFL players. My guess is that it would be comparable, probably around 60.

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

Dude, iron sheikh is a cult legend now. He is great on twitter. His visits to the Howard Stern Show kind of reinvented him and he has a huge following now. Seems to be doing good now.

And yes, everybody should check out the Iron Shiekh documentary on netflix

12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Old rockstars don't seem to make it past 65 either.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I remember him bringing reality checks

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Damn. The first time I saw him in a long time was when he was on the Rich Eisen show last week. Funny how Eisen had to apologize for Roddy's politically incorrectness.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K5FZCkyTq0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Saw him at comicpalooza this year. :(

17. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Close. It was 1996. That event really kicked off the Attitude Era.

18. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

I will always remember his WrestleMania match with the Hitman.

Thanks for the memories.

May you rest in peace Hot Rod.

19. VanityHalfBlack

My favorite Piper moment. The Mountie was such an A-hole. Love to see him get beat and lose the intercontinental title!!!

ROYAL RUMBLE 92 BABY!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avEpDWdh0ag?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Hated him, but good tv.