1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you should watch every single season of big brother or american idol back to back for the opposite angle.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I kept looking at the clock while watching this last episode, wondering why time was moving so damn slowly.

I loved the dialogue/writing in season 1 or maybe it was just the incredible performances, but I'm cringing at most of the words coming out of all these characters mouths, except Velcoro. Honestly, I think the showrunner blew his literary load on the first season.

While i'm sure some are enjoying the music choices, opening credit, bar and piano lady, I cant stand it! Even the scenic freeway cutaways seem derivative this time around.

Lastly, I find the plot convoluted and uninteresting. Chris Ryan of Grantland has been doing a great job of reviewing every episode and his last one comments on what I've stated about problems with the story.

If not for the series only being 8 episode/Velcoro and to a much lesser degree Mcadams, I'd stop watching. Not because its a terrible show, but because it hasn't made me care about either the characters (1 exception) or the story.

Lastly, I cannot stomach any more scenes between Frank Simion and his wife.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Blue balls of the stomach.

4. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Vaughn was decent this week... Was a good Colin/Mcadams episode.

5. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Vince Vaughn's ugly ass wife just throws me off, couldn't they have found an actress that is actually sexy? I mean that woman is fugly.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Back to the show, decent episode after last week's. McAdam's going ninja on that one guy was pretty cool, just wish they hadn't telegraphed it so badly earlier in the episode.

Curious to see where this ends up in the last 2 episodes.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The critics out there are really digging their claws into this episode and this season as well because of it... and I think their case is unfair.

The big issue critics seem to have is, here we go again with HBO telegraphing, and using rape as a catalyst for their plot to move forward in way that really is a device for out male characters.

The whole thing is this is coming off the heals of another season of Game of Thrones that continued to use rape as a device in a way that drove critics crazy. Now we have yet another HBO show using it.

But I think its a bit unfair. If TD came before GOT would it as big of an issue? I don't know. Certainly you can have your issues with Velcoro's wifes rape as really just a catalyst for Ray, and not showing the impact as much through the eyes of his ex-wife, and son. But Ray's family struggles and Colin Ferrell's performance is so good that its really selling this struggle. I truly feel for the guy, and understand what he's feeling despite an imperfect script.

The other issue with Ani. Yes, it was telegraphed that there was some sexual abuse that happened early in her and her sisters lives. Yes, HBO uses sexual abuse way too much. But the climax (no pun intended) of last nights episode and Ani facing the demons of her past actually worked for me. Was it meant to torture her.. yes, but in the end she fought through and got out of there. She didn't just take it like Sansa did in GOT.

Yes.... HBO has a rape problem with its showrunners. Its overused. But as a standalone piece, I don't really have an issue with how TDS2 has involved it. At least yet. We will have to see how everything is resolved in the last 2 episodes.

Is the season as good as season 1? No. Is it still better than 90% of the crap we see daily thrown at us on TV? IMO yes.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know, I can't get into this show this year. I loved season one, so I'm really disappointed. Half the time I don't even know who a lot of these characters are, or what they are doing.

Last season was an interesting mystery. This season is just a bunch of bad people beating up and killing each other.

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Last night was far and away the best episode of the season, personally.

10. val_modus

val_modus Member

Did anyone else have a problem with the music they were playing while the whole house party scene was going down?

11. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Yup I was like what kind of music is this? Didn't seem to flow with the scene what so ever. Odd selection to say the least :confused:

Other than that, this was the best episode thus far this season & not's not saying much...

12. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

ha 2 of my friends said that too.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Guess I wasn't the only one. I really thought it clashed with the scenes as they were playing out. Almost like they were running the wrong music.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Same. Even with the show picking up in the last few episodes, there are long dragged-out scenes that don't add anything. For instance, the entire Vince Vaughn golden boy scene was completely out of nowhere and for a character that maybe had 10 seconds of screen time?

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

There are so many little plots that pop up and there is no way in the final 2 episodes any of them will have any relevance. I have blue balls of the brain watching this show.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I've found myself more excited for The Brink than TD. It's just so damn slow. I thought after the shootout episode it would change...

17. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

The Brink is an awesome show I'm absolutely loving it. Tim Robbins is freakin awesome, he is killing his character/role. Can't forget about Z-Pack and the other guy he is with, his name escapes me right now. Thier scenes are some of the funniest IMO.

As far as TD, I mean it's keeping my interest but I'm not like glued to the screen as much as I was for season 1. As a matter of fact I have DVR'd some of them because something better was on. I'm not killing the show by no means it does have some pretty cool things going on in it but, besides that it's just not as good plain and simple. The only character I am really interested in is Ray. Vince Vaughn is just not believable, they should have cast someone with a little bit more gangsta swag to them.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I usually skip to the end and something happens. Dang!

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

We have probably enough information to be on episode 4 not episode 6. Interested to see how they'll squeeze an ending into 2 episodes.

20. Faust

Faust Member

Pretty good episode, but it was like the Stanley Kubrick movie 'Eyes Wide Shut' with machine guns. If this whole season is about that movie that would be weak. S1 was killer because I cared about the characters and their stories, and the main plot of occult groups was awesome. Colin Farel is the best of them though. Idk how they can wrap this up nicely in 2 episodes.