1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers agree to 5-year, $120M extension with Damian Lillard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2015.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

completely overrated. no noticeable improvement from year 1. shoots embarassing 43%. $24M a year smh

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

watch this yo-yo chucker get further exposed. The money he's on compared to Harden is insulting

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Damian is butthurt:

Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard told CBS Sports Radio's Jody MacDonald that he doesn't plan to attend USA Basketball's minicamp in Las Vegas in August, as Team USA cut him before the FIBA World Cup last summer. Here's the exchange from The Jody Mac Show:

Are you headed to Vegas next month?

Umm, probably not.

Why not?

I did it the last few summers. Last summer I didn't make it, so I don't know why I would go. If I got cut last summer, I don't think I'm a part of it.

Lillard was cut from last summer's roster just before Team USA went to Spain, and he obviously felt overlooked. USA Basketball chose Stephen Curry, Kyrie Irving and Derrick Rose as their point guards at the time.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25250867

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Curry and Irving are obvious picks over him, and Rose's coach was on the team's staff. So it's logical that he was the one who got cut.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

His deal is reasonable ....in comparison to Wes. Matthew

6. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

impressive list.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I can't believe I used to think Lillard was a top 5 pg. Not even sure he is better than Lawson;)

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And yet that last-second shot of Lillard's, followed by his tough-guy mugging, will haunt us to some degree. Especially since TNT / ESPN / et al replayed it so often.

Hope Lillard is happy with the money. He'll spend at least this season out of the playoffs.

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Let's put that behind us now, look where Lillard and the Blazers are now and look where we are at the top of an ultra competitive Western Conference.

10. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Isn't it better for him to wait until next year to sign a deal so he can get a bigger contract?

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol haunt the Rox how? Blazers lost all their starters they are clearly tanking. Plus the Rox already put it behind them with an amazing WCF finish saying Lilliard haunts the Rox is like saying Dallas haunts the Rox for the 40 pt beat down in game 7 playoffs during the YaoMac era.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This overrated disappearing act whines every year after either getting cut or not getting picked.

One of my least liked players in the league.

Cant blame LMA for running away from him.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Seriously, was he always like this?

I'm thankful that Harden's "flaw" is big booty strippers and maybe being too quiet

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Hating to hate.. 4th yr player, gonna put up monster numbers this yr

Only getting better.. his pg tendencies will come with time maybe forced into it this yr beinf the only player on the team w playmaking ability

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

The only time he was worth this kind of money was the first round of the 2014 playoffs

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ive always thought so. Hes just a 'woe is me' kind of guy. Always searching for credibility and someones approval. Going back to participating in every skills event one year when he wasnt even an all star (I dont believe), to "publish his brand". Even after he spit his verses on 'Sway in the morning', I just get a feeling that he just constantly wants to be praised.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Clutchfans still salty bout that shot lol

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i was streaming that game in hong kong and wasted part of a day seeing the city to watch that crap. yup still salty :(

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Lillard was pretty good in that series, but LMA was the main reason they won. It must suck to have those two epic first games and then have the media crown Lillard afterwards because of his (admittedly bigtime) shot.

20. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I don't get the Lillard hate. He's not a perfect NBA player, but who is?. He stays out of trouble, helps out in the community and by all accounts is a nice guy. What NBA player doesn't have a chip on their shoulder over perceived slights (whether valid or invalid)? That's how they stay motivated to improve. He was a senior from a no-name school that didn't get recruited at all. I'm sure he might feel like he's getting overlooked again. Big deal. You want guys who want those accolades.

And by the way ClutchFans... That shot he hit against us WAS TWO SEASONS AGO. We gotta let it go. No reason to analyze every news story about this guy to find a flaw.

I don't even think he is THAT good but jeez, you guys are seriously reaching for reasons to hate this guy. What did you all expect him to do? miss the shot on purpose? say he didnt want to be on the all star team last year? turn down $120 Million?

And as far as the contract... its market value for an exciting young player that can get you 20 points, 6 assists and can take over a game for you when you need just 1 bucket and the game is on the line. Did you all see what Reggie Jackson got? or Enes Kanter? Plus Lillard clearly resonates with fans and still has room to grow. Are there other players better than him? Sure, but none of them were walking through that door.