1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously... why no FF7 remake?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Oct 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If you hate it, use a controller holding down the X-button (or O-button under the default) while using the memory setting and just stand in the swamp and let your guys kill the Midgar Zolom repeatedly, while you go about the rest of your life. Using the enemy away materia and use of chocobos and airship to avoid enemies as much as possible.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Honestly, other than maybe materia (which is easy to build systems around anyway), I don't think I'll mind too much if they change other things. Assuming it's for the better of course (easier said than done, I know). I see this more as a re-imagining than a 100% remake, so as long as things are cohesive, fun, challenging, etc., I'm open to new ideas. Same thing with the story, although they should obviously stick to the main themes.

Having said all that, I know I'm in the minority, and I also think it would be easier to do a turned based system "correctly" than a real-time combat system, especially given the various gameplay mechanics we all loved from FF7. I can understand not wanting to 100% recreate the PS1 gameplay system. If the game used that system, but with pretty graphics, I think I'd be a bit disappointed (modders could have done that, and for free probably).

But I think they could easily implement a turn-based system that was less "archaic" and more in-line with "modern" games. They can probably take some inspiration from games like Persona/SMT, Divinity: Original Sin, etc. Random battles are no longer necessary, nor should you have to grind too much, at least for the main playthrough (defeating Emerald Weapon might be a different story). They should be able to balance the game such that some of the "pains" of the FF7 system wouldn't be a problem. Battles can be quick (despite being turn-based), and the player can avoid grinding/unnecessary battles if he/she wants. Yet the battle system itself can be very strategic, fun, rewarding, and more complex than the original. Something like that might be the ideal gameplay system for this remake. I know Square-Enix thinks we just want to jump and dash around with Cloud (as if he was Dante, Ryu, or Kratos), but I think a real-time system would be difficult to do right (especially when trying to incorporate summons, limit breaks, party based combat, various materia, etc.). Just keep those ideas for other games, and maybe build a system similar to what I described for this one. Keep the hardcore fans happy (with a turn-based system at the core), yet also build a system that should be fun and accessible for newcomers.

As for the world map, I recall Nomura implementing a world map for FFXV, back when it was still Versus. There was a screenshot of it somewhere, but I can't find it anymore, and I'm not sure if that idea transferred over to the current incarnation of the game. Don't know what they'll do for the remake, but seems like they've at least toyed with the idea already.

BTW, it's not confirmed, but there has been a lot of talk that CyberConnect2 will help develop the game. If true, they'd probably do the bulk of the development (Nomura and a few others from Square-Enix would direct and supervise). They've been pushing to do a FF7 remake project for years IIRC, and they already have a working relationship with SE (they developed a FF7 iOS/Android game called FF7: G-Bike). They tend to do more action-RPG stuff though, so um...yeah.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

100% agreed. Real-time could be good in theory, but turn-based is so much harder to screw up. I'd be more than fine with no more random encounters. And I wouldn't mind seeing the combat become more complex. I'd particularly like if they'd steal the combat from Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. Which was itself a ho-hum game on the whole, but the combat was excellent.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Golden Chocobo was one of the most ridiculous quests ever... and I have a stable of them....

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I want a bigger world map and I want them to focus on ADDING content (new cities please? I want more opportunities to see more of the world other than Cosmo Canyon and Kalm... and the three other cities in the entire world), rebuffing the old content to preserve most of it, and filling in holes/tidying plot delivery which gets messy.

Also the music must stay the same and be modernized if this is to be any good.

Perhaps tie in Yuffie and Vincent officially to the story and make them more important... the background they provide explains a lot... and maybe more on the war with the eastern continent and the war that pretty much destroyed the world as Shinra marched over everyone. It's implied and referenced, but not explained.

Also I imagine the Turks will be back... in full force. And hopefully less predictable.

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Don't remember much of this game, played it when I was a kid. I just know it's my second favorite FF behind 3. I always thought FF3 was the best. After 7, couldn't really get into them anymore. Played 8, 10, and 13 a little.

If mmorpg's count, FF11 is one of my top 2 with UO.

I welcome the remake and would purchase it day 1.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I forgot if I ever bred a golden one or just ended up with a black one.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I remember when I was little... being on a mad search to find out how to resurrect Aeris, only to find out they only put it in the Japanese version. Then I remember the people petitioning and shouting for a remake all over the Internet for years. Then after that, I remember the online novelization project, because people wanted a novel of the story itself. On top of that, the game spawned fan fiction and fan art, and cosplay, like no other. Then I remember there is sheet music for the music and actual orchestral versions of some of the best songs. The game was unmatched at that time and really hit home with the audience. It is my favorite game of all time probably because of its story, its characters, its world building, its battle system, and wonderful music. Needless to say, I will follow this story and buy a PS4 when the time comes.

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/8085...nomura-intends-bring-dramatic-change-game.htm

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n0hVwfD_s-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

I hope they get rid of the random encounters.

I would buy the game regardless what they did just for pure nostalgic reasons. If they made Chocobo world even bigger with more mini games that would be amazing.

11. The Joker

The Joker Member

I hope they add a way to save Aeris. That would make my life complete!

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

For some reason I thought you mean Fast Furious 7 remake I was like whoa no.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

she deserved to die. i hope they ad blood and gore ;)

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You can't revive her... Ruins the story... I just think her death could be less stupid... The scene where he comes down... out of no where... Was stupid...

15. juicystream

Aeris' death was very different (she was a chick & love interest). She was also a permanent member of your party, unlike Tellah & Shadow. Honestly, I don't even remember Shadow's death.

It is already possible with a gameshark... though I guess she is still technically dead.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There had been character death in RPG's before. It was a little hard to get emotionally invested in 16 bit characters.

The first time I played through I had no clue it was coming. It was pretty shocking, she seemed like the classic girl the hero gets at the end. I realized a little later on that she was also an OP white mage with her later limits.

17. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Okay, I often don't like these things, lately I feel they've had more misses than hits. But this one was brilliant.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They let you decide Shadow's fate.

"Shadow tries to move the statues back in balance and stop Kefka so the party could escape the Floating Continent, but the party can choose to wait for him. If the party waits until the last five seconds, Shadow will jump onto the Blackjack. If the party waited for him, Shadow appears in the World of Ruin; otherwise, he presumably dies.

One year later, if the party waited for Shadow, he can be found, wounded, in the Cave on the Veldt (otherwise, Relm appears in his stead). To rescue him, the party defeats the Behemoth King and takes him to Thamasa to recover. Shadow heads for the Dragon's Neck Coliseum in search of the legendary dagger, the Ichigeki. If the party wagers it, they fight Shadow. If they win, Shadow rejoins permanently.

After the party has killed Kefka and is escaping his crumbling tower, Shadow says "Baram... It looks like I can finally stop running... Come and find me all right?" (the Japanese version of this translates back into English as "Billy! I don't need to flee anymore. Embrace me warmly."). Shadow remains in Kefka's Tower as everyone else, including Interceptor, returns to the Falcon. It is suggested he did not intend to survive the tower's collapse, and his fate is left unknown, as he does not appear on the Falcon with the others." -Wiki

19. juicystream

I don't know if when I beat it if I had left Shadow (I don't think so, as I'm pretty sure I loaded a previous save when I found out I had killed him by not waiting), or if I just forgot about the ending.

I almost never finish playing the game, as I spend so much time trying to max people out, learn every spell for every character, and most annoyingly trying to break the curse on the cursed shield.

20. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I just replayed FF6 the other day. I totally forgot about Shadow until I had gotten all the other characters in the world of ruin. Didn't feel like going back to save him either. He was such a minor character. Yeti-bro is more loyal than him. That is one final fantasy you don't have to worry about maxing everything out. Finished the game around level 50. Hopped onto FF8 now since I haven't played it in about a decade.