1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bernie Sanders at Hoffheinz at U of H Sunday Night !!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Correct! The minimum wage has nothing to do with an internship because...wait for it...an internship is not a job. It is for that reason that there are thousands of internships below minimum wage. If it was a job that applied to minimum wage standards then lower or non-salaried internships would be illegal. So, then, why are internships being compared to employment qualifying for minimum wage?

Internship = educational experience/networking/resume = not regulated by government
    Minimum wage = pay bills/buy food/support kids = regulated by government

Personally I think all political interns should be paid 50k per 3 months because, damn, are they some miserable interns. Then again, they are often obnoxious and entitled and sore losers at intra-intern sports (jealous because they weren't making as much, hahahahaha), so screw them.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I hate to be technical but once you pay someone for work it becomes a job. While I understand some interns don't get paid at all, except for in work experience. I can understand how Bernie can be seen as a hypocrite for paying a $12 wage when he is advocating for a $15 wage minimum.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'm pretty sure he can't. Because Congressional offices as a whole just don't do that, which makes me think that they can't.

At any rate, while Bernie's proposal of raising the wage to $15 is a bad idea, and the minimum wage is one of the worst ways to improve social welfare out there, this is just a bad angle to attack Sanders.

The reality is that Sanders is someone whose entire campaign focuses on economic issues, but he doesn't know a damn thing about economics.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Which is more than $4 over the current minimum wage. In addition, the Sanders minimum wage proposal has the wage incrementally increasing over the next 5 years, at which point it would be $15.

lulz, Commodore either can't read or can't comprehend.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

What are the reasons, you think that it's a bad idea?

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

To be completely accurate, he is advocating for incremental increases that would result in the minimum wage being $15 in 2020. At present, he pays interns (as has been observed, a position which often means no pay whatsoever) more than $4 over the present minimum wage and, if the increase happened in even increments, would still be paying those workers over the minimum wage for two and a half years if he didn't give an increase.

No hypocrisy, except in the minds of biased partisans.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...-proposes-federal-minimum-wage-of-15-an-hour/

#166 GladiatoRowdy, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  7. Major

Major Member

Well, if his proposal is for a graduated increase in the minimum wage, he doesn't actually believe people should be paid a minimum of $15 today. He believes they should be paid that by 2020 or whenever it is. He would be paying more than he thinks the minimum should be today.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

again.....

the definition on an internship does not change the fact that Bernie choose not to pay his interns the $15 he wants to force other employers to pay thier employees. If you aren't speaking to this then you are wasting your breathe.

Bernie thinks they are worth $12 an hour because that's what he chooses to pay them.

9. Major

Major Member

Except, as noted, these interns aren't employees. 70% of US Senators do not pay their interns at all - they are volunteer opportunities and there are no pay requirements. Sanders is choosing to pay his volunteers - something that is not required and that isn't demanding any employer do.

A better argument could be made if Sanders paid regular employees under $15/hr, but even that runs into the problem that he doesn't actually think employers should be paying their employees $15/hr today.

10. tallanvor

this is Bernie arguing for the $15 minimum wage.

“It is a national disgrace that millions of full-time workers are living in poverty and millions more are forced to work two or three jobs just to pay their bills,” Sanders said at the outdoor rally near the Capitol. “In the year 2015, a job must lift workers out of poverty, not keep them in it. The current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour is a starvation wage and must be raised to a living wage.”

Which part is true for employees and not true for interns to you?

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

OK let's just disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

You are going to disagree with any point that is presented to you because you are trying to prove that Bernie is a hypocrite.

And you are right....who gives a ****? I really don't. It's traditionally an unpaid position. I think you would agree he is being very generous paying as much as he is. Actually you probably won't agree on that because that would mean giving a slight compliment to the campaign.

Anyhow, I was just pointing out that even in places that have voted to implement $15/hr min wage they don't pay $15/hr yet.

Who knows....maybe they didn't even think about the potential hypocrisy. Tweet his campaign or send them some kind of message if it is such a concern to you. I can do it for you if you want me to.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm afraid I agree with the lunatic fringe on this one. Bernie should pay $15. For symbolic reasons more than anything else.

I also think 'internships' are a huge abuse of inexperienced labor. Just because someone fetches coffee, or makes photocopies, or gains experience/contacts doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid. Minimum wage, even at $15/hr, is low enough that you owe your people at least that.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That part

14. tallanvor

#174 tallanvor, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Dubious

doubt it

Bernie makes points everyday about How To Make America Great Again through wealth equity, pay equality, reasonable gun control, reduced foreign entanglements, climate change, corporate welfare, single payer insurance, freedom of choice, educational opportunities, racial biases, repealing Glass-Steagall and breaking up the big banks..... and not paying local interns the $15 he proposes for a future minimum wage is your big hypocrisy gotcha?

16. tallanvor

Yea this was my big gotcha............... i found it............

In fact lets just make that a rule for the D&D. Unless someone has the smoking gun that's ends a presidential candidate's run then please don't post. Dubious don't have time for that ****.

1 person likes this.
  17. Dubious

Go ahead, look foolish. I don't mind.
    Your point against Sander's points illustrates his strengths.

18. Major

Major Member

An intern is generally not intending to live on that wage - that's why they are seeking internships and not seeking a normal job. You don't go get an internship with the purpose of feeding your family.

19. tallanvor

Oh so Bernie is ok with an individual deciding for them selves to take pay below Bernie's perceived living wage ? How doesn't that contradict his minimum wage law which prevents this for almost all Americans? Or can everyone do it we just have to call it another name even though its the exact same ****ing thing? its ok as long we just call it an internship............

20. Dubious

desperate or obtuse?