1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sacramento: Divac Fires Analytics Expert Dean Oliver

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rokman, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Agreed, Houston and Dallas will be after this guy.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

In other news Divac hires Peja to be part of the Kings front office.

Morey should trade often with Peja.

You know he is going to fold under pressure.

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Divac: "**** this l, I hate this. **** you analytic data bull****" *eastern European accent*

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Kings are the comedic gift that keeps on giving.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Vlade is gonna staff the Kings front office exclusively with chain-smoking Serbian gangsters. No room for math dorks. Vlade keeps it real.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

LOL!!

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I heard Charles Barkley is high on his replacement list as Head of Duh, He Good Sciences.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is just the first step in kings management eliminating any and all impediments to dumping boogie for dmo's clearly superior offensive prowess

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dallas seems to be a better fit than the Rockets.

Morely and Co. more than likely has better field knowledge than Dean, and I don't think Dean is loyal to one team.

No use training him then watching him leave to a higher bidder.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Stein's linked tweet from the article

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New Kings boss Vlade Divac wants to assemble his own hand-picked front office cabinet. Including, as reported yesterday, Peja Stojakovic</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/625401336889126912">July 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Kings front office leaks a lot of untruths to protect themselves. Vlade needs to get rid of them all ASAP.

12. nemac

nemac Member

It's not evident that he hates analytics or that they parted ways because of that, at least based on this article.

13. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

he's most likely the guy not saying STAUKUS in that video

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Whatever they had been doing was not working.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Divac is trying to build a front office of former Kings: himself, Peja & Bobby Jackson

Vivek!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey, isn't Shaq part of the organization?

16. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! I’m glad we are dealing with that soap-opera franchise.

After almost 3 years of flirting with moving the team out of Sac-town, in 2013 the team was sold by Maloof family to Ranadive. The new group wanted to move the team to Seattle and rename them the Sonics. The owners voted 22-8 against the move once the mayor of Sac-town hustled up city council for a new downtown arena.

They have had terrible coaches forever, the new ownership brings in George Karl as the savior. Soon after Karl wants Boogie gone but doesn’t have the power to get him traded.

Ranadive hires analytics guru Pete DAlessandro in 2013 as GM. Then this year Ranadive gets his buddy Flopping Vlade to take over as VP of basketball. Problem is Vlade is too stupid to realize analytics are a good tool for player evaluation so Pete bails. They are a complete mess.

Watch this season, Boogie will have had enough of the front office and he’ll be traded within a year from today. Kings will suck for years to come.

Rockets aren’t perfect but at least they are working together as one organization.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

D'Alessandro wasn't a stats guru. He was a player agent before he became an assistant GM with the Nuggets.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Top three teams I'm glad I'm not a fan of right now:

1. New York Knicks - They are awful and they don't even have Boogie. They have an aging and obsolete one on one player in Melo. They better hope Porzingis pans out - but it won't matter because James Dolan still owns the Knicks and James Dolan ruins everything. So much so that at this point free agents won't even go there - and it's supposed to be the greatest city in the world. HOW BAD DO YOU HAVE TO SCREW THINGS UP THAT NOBODY WILL EVEN GO TO THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD?
    2. Sacramento Kings - The mess over there has been covered well in this thread. Hope we get Boogie.
    3. Minnesota Timberwolves - I know, I know. They are chalk full of young talent but we've seen the Timberwolves screw everything up for decades. Maybe one of Towns or Wiggins will stick around past their rookie contracts, but both of them? I doubt it. If I'm young and going to be stuck on a terrible team, I might as well go to the Knicks or Lakers and be surrounded my models and actresses.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I get people that will think the Kings are a joke, in fact they are.

But to suggest Dean Oliver is such a hot commodity that got mistreated in Sac town maybe also a knee jerk reaction.

The whole Kings organization from top to bottom is a joke, if you are one of the employees, you are part of the problem.

I do not know what exactly Dean Oliver contribute to the Kings, but no matter how you see it, there aren't any good things done in the last few years analytic wise.

Their draft picks for the last few years are just straight awful, you can do a better work than that by just blind fold yourself and throw a dart.

1 person likes this.
  20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Well partially true. He did work for a sports agency as late as 2004. But the Warriors hired him as assistant GM in 2006. In 2010 Masai Ujiri hired him to join the Nuggets as an adviser because of his like minded approach. He was promoted to VP of Operations in 2012. Then 2013 was GM of Kings.

He has been known in NBA world as a cap guru and a analytics guy. See article from 2013.

http://cowbellkingdom.com/sacramento-kings-pete-dalessandro-builds-his-next-generation-staff/

"Ranadivé has handed the keys to the kingdom to former Denver Nuggets and Golden State Warriors executive Pete D’Alessandro. Known as a next generation NBA stat man and salary cap guru, D’Alessandro is the antithesis of Geoff Petrie ..."

I'm just glad we aren't in their state of affairs.