1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bernie Sanders at Hoffheinz at U of H Sunday Night !!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

What planet are you on? Most competitive, prestigious internships outside of law or banking are completely unpaid, with the understanding that contacts, references and the resume line items hold infinitely more value at that point in one's career.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Those businesses don't advocate a $15 minimum wage. That was the point.......

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He has a problem understanding points.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And SF3 is petty enough to draw in discussions from other threads, while being too much of a disingenuous, spineless, escapist, disengaged moron to posit meaningful arguments or acknowledge the flaws in his own logic without dispelling insults and vulgarity, then claiming after the fact that he was joking the whole time.

Still waiting for you to document those "affirmative action programs" that "Asian students" should take advantage of. You got a half dozen chances to respond and you just kept calling me a "cyborg" for using too many big words. Then you flamed out and started calling people assholes.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Why are you quoting things I never said. I didn't say Asian Affirmative Action programs, I said Asian programs. This is America their are programs for everything pretty much and everyone. You can get grants based on who you are from anywhere.

http://www.collegescholarships.org/scholarships/asian.htm

"For Asian American college students, financial aid resources run the gamut from general government assistance, to specialized grants and scholarships that target candidates of Asian descent"

"Not only doprograms exist specifically for students of Asian heritage, but these types of aid benefit Asian students as well:

Subject-specific
    School-specific
    Student-specific"

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

For reference my actual quote "Im sure there are Asian programs out there, are we so sure that he has tried one of those?"

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I am going to have to agree with this. Sanders is completely bonkers for the reasons I outlined earlier, but I'm not going to begrudge him for this.

9. tallanvor

you are making the same mistake at pouhe. He advocates $15 minimum wage and pays his employees yes. How can he demand other employers pay what hes already not willing to pay as an employer?

10. Major

Major Member

The same way people ask for higher taxes despite not paying them voluntarily just for the hell of it. He's not advocating playing the game a certain way with a hand tied behind your back - he's advocating changing the rules of the game so that everyone is on a level playing field with different rules.

11. tallanvor

So Bernie's reason for not paying his employees what he wants to force everyone to pay their employees is that he cant compete otherwise (compete against what? Hillary?)? How much money do you think Bernie has? How many interns?

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

not sure, but this may be the most meaningful discussion to ever take place on clutchfans.net

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Bernie's really not that rich. He probably has the least amount of wealth among all candidates.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Do you think that Bernie Sanders pays his interns out of his own pockets? Because he doesn't.

Every Congressional office gets a certain amount of money which they use to pay their staff, fix up their offices, and so on. Not to mention that Congressional staff salaries and their identities are public knowledge. For example a 5-minute Google search shows that one of Sanders' Legislative Correspondants ( LC) is Alex Beaton, who made $20,000 from October 2014 through March 2015.

15. tallanvor

he's richer than most the employers he wants to force to pay $15 an hour to employees

i think he can....

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No I get it and I am saying he is being nice to even pay interns. He doesn't have to pay them a dime.

And if we really want to get picky about it none of the proposed minimum wage increases are jumping to $15/hr immediately. Seattle will have a $15/hr min eventually, but their first increase in the min wage was to $11/hr...less than what Bernie is paying his interns.

So yeah it's a pot shot and yes I understand what is going on.

17. tallanvor

what does this have to do with Bernie not paying what he thinks every employer should pay his employees? I really don't think you get it.

who gives a ****?

no its not. Bernie should be paying what he wants every mom and pop store to pay their employees. The whole point of raising the minimum wage to $15 is that a person cant get by on less (or else why kill all those jobs?). Yet that's what Bernie pays.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

minimum wage laws do not apply to small business
    summer interns are not generally working to make a living
    Sanders net worth is about $400K, not rich

for all the huge philosophical shifts Bernie proposes having your big 'gotcha' over intern pay is pretty weak compared to say, the Walton Family's net worth of $150 billion while Walmart employees require $6 Billion in government assistance.

try again to find you Sander's Benghazi

1 person likes this.
  19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why are people reveling in trying to make themselves look stupid by not knowing what an internship is? Either they really are stupid and don't know what an internship is or they Re playing stupid which in itself is pretty damn stupid.

20. tallanvor

good grief.......

Bernie Sanders is not restricted from paying his interns $15 an hour in any way (that i know of). The definition on an intern does not change this (therefore its meaningless). the current minimum wage laws doesn't change this. the plan to slowly roll out the minimum wage increase doesn't change this. The fact that its more than many pay their interns doesn't change this.

Bernie Sanders chooses to pay his interns less than the $15 an hour he thinks businesses should be forced to pay its employees. The only person who even bothered to give an explanation for why Bernie would choose to do this was Major (which i appreciate). the rest of you just threw crap against the wall.