1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Kazmir Traded to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobloblaw, Jul 23, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

no way price is one

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Ok man, i'm sure you know and you are right. Sorry for continuing on this conversation. My bad, you are right.

3. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

He just now said on the game telecast that they are in "other conversations" with teams

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea, i'm sure he has his preferences as to what position he would like to improve the most...but he would make a deal at any position if he felt like it made us better and was worth the cost

Jeff is proving to be a smart man

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just poured some out for my homie <a href="https://twitter.com/scottkazmir19">@scottkazmir19</a></p>&mdash; Sonny Gray (@SonnyGray2) <a href="https://twitter.com/SonnyGray2/status/624420663344934912">July 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wow took that for me to realize Oakland just had 2 of the top 5 era leaders. Hopefully we can do better.

7. vince

vince Member

Great trade. Being that the A's wanted these guys gives you an idea how talented they are.

But you cannot play everyone on a 25 man ML team. Some moves have to be about the now......

8. awc713

awc713 Member

100%. Nottingham was one of my favorite prospects. But in the grand scheme of things, Nottingham is an enigma of sorts. There will always be a Nottingham-esque prospect in the farm, i.e., a good-to-very-good prospect that is 3 years away. I believe in Luhnow's ability to find and draft these players.

Fun fact, though: A's traded for a low A ball catcher a couple years ago. His name? Josh Donaldson.

9. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Remove that Josh Smith quote from your signature, come on man!

1 person likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Does Fangraphs still have their original season projections listed anywhere? I see their current ones, and I can see their staff predictions (which are woefully terrible), but I can't seem to see their initial season projections. Here's the staff ones for a laugh:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-2015-staff-predictions/

Your AL playoff teams: Boston, Cleveland, LA, Seattle, Toronto. 0 people picked Kansas City, Houston, or Minnesota to even make the playoffs.

11. Buck Turgidson

Well, at least they know their limitations: We’re usually not so good at this sort of thing.

Out of 38 people, not a single one picked KC to even make the playoffs? How is that possible?

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Love to see Kazmir go first pitch fastball high and tight to send a message to KC we are on high alert. Talk about endearing yourself with fans.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That's like having a panel of 10 NBA analysts and none of them picking the Rockets to make the playoffs.

Really makes no sense at all.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Anyone concerned about Kazmir's being a fly-ball pitcher?

He'll be facing plenty right-handers with the Crawford Boxes not far behind.

15. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His ground ball and home run rates have steadily improved over the last 3 years. I'm optimistic he'll be alright.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He used to be a fly ball pitcher, now only 1/3 of his balls are FB, which is basically middle of the pack. His increased GB rate is one of the reasons his career has gotten back on track. He has the 5th bast hard hit %, which means whatever FB's he is giving up aren't particularly well struck

I suspect his ERA will go up, Oakland is a great pitchers park and he's moving to a neutral park (some Crawford Box cheapies are bound to happen), But I fully expect him to still be great.

1 person likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs predictions this year on AL before season were horrible, but seem to have adjusted well to in season data. Way back machine may get the beginning of the year projections.

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so how slim a chance kaz will remain an Astros next year?

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'd say it's a pretty decent chance. He's a local guy who will be 32 before the start of next season, grew up rooting for the Astros, and is incredibly close with his family. Plus, I have a feeling he's going to really enjoy being around some of the younger guys in the clubhouse, and this extra few months of getting to know them will probably go a long way. As long as the Astros give him an offer worthy of his market value, I think he'd stay.

20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

A's have big problems defensively