1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Networking Opportunity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pugsly8422, Jul 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

That's why you meet for 1.5 hours weekly, that's why you spend time talking to the other people each week, that's why each week a person gives a presentation on their skill. You're right, you're not just going to refer anyone to people you don't know. That's why you get to know the people.

Look, I'm tired of arguing with you guys. If only 2 people can understand what this is, then it just shows the maturity level on here. Nobody said you have to pay money up front (except for your lunch the day you visit), I've laid it all out for you, so if you're not interested and can't appreciate someone trying to do others a favor, that's fine. Just say you're not interested and move on.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's a networking group. You network in good faith and get to know people. You build credibility. If someone reneges or some other shady thing, they're blackballed and it seriously hurts their business.

This is legit and happens all the time in business.

The reason so many of you people don't get it is that you're drones for someone else's company where you aren't part of the hobknob process. There are other things that happen that are outside of your sphere of understanding in life. Accept it.

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Probably because of the get rich quick type wording in the OP. Somebody asking for $500 a year to attend meetings while being promised large sums of money seems kind of fishy.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That $500 a barrier to entry from anyone who isn't serious. It's not about the money, it's about the commitment.

My best friend was part of a real estate group like this. They shared info and resources. He was a poor kid when I first met him in High School. He was worth several million dollars when he passed away last year.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Well said. I've never heard of BNI but it makes sense to me. I don't understand why Paul can't just go to CVS for his small penis needs but I do understand networking.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pugsly....

Can the BNI group branch out and host informal get togethers? For example, could a lawyer, an accountant and a financial adviser put on a dinner with each inviting their own clients? They then each give a presentation and interact with each other's clients?

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only problem I would have with this type of deal is that I would feel obligated to send business to the various people in my network (since they are doing the same for me) but I likely wouldn't have a great working knowledge of whether or not the people who I'm giving these referrals to are worth a crap at what they do.

My lady friend needs a massage therapist? Here's a card of a guy I know. Is he any good? I have no idea, but he sends business my way so hopefully he doesn't rape you! Tell him I said hi.

8. Yonkers

How do you vet the people you refer others to now? Do you personally have to get a massage or your plumbing fixed before you do? I'd be more inclined to send referrals to someone who is actively trying to network and thus care about their reputation more than some other friend of a friend.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That doesn't sound anything like what a business would do.

Join a group with big fees where you have to refer people to businesses you know nothing about except what you learned in a short presentation? Where you have to show up every week and pay $20 or get booted?

Where are all these fees going?

I refer people to friends and colleagues I trust and know or to businesses I have used

10. Yonkers

Sure. You can do that. And your network will likely remain small. You have to be willing to give up some control and provide some trust in the system to try to grow it outside your normal realm of interaction.
    I don't know anything about BNI but I can see how it could work well.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Networking oppurtunity.

Anyone need to set up a staples business account :). Message me through the board!

12. Mr. Clutch

The control I'd give up is I would have to refer my friends to people in BNI instead of to people I actually know and trust.

Do I get a cut of the fees if I bring new people to BNI?

13. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I don't see why not. If those clients are looking for lawyers, accountants, and financial advisors, then I wouldn't see any problem, but I can't say I'm 100% sure of this.

Then don't join "this type of deal".

You meet the people every week. You pay $20 for lunch, and to help cover the cost of the room at the restaurant.

Good for you, then stay away from BNI.

Obviously meeting the people in BNI weekly, hearing their stories, and seeing their presentations wouldn't lead you to know and trust them, so you're definitely not BNI material.

I already answered that question....you don't get anything for bringing new people.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's exactly what I do. I don't know about you, but if I'm interested in services of some kind and I ask for advice on who I should use, I would like to be referred to someone that the referrer has actually used. That's the whole point of asking for input, because otherwise I could pick someone randomly. Being involved in a referral network has absolutely no bearing on how good a person is at their actual craft.

And for that reason, if someone I know is looking for service of some kind and they are someone that I actually LIKE, then I'm only going to point them in the direction of someone who I've used before (and who did a good job).

It's very strange to me that anyone would find that to be a foreign concept.

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

Why not just search online for reviews of services you need then?

16. Mr. Clutch

What if a dude on the group has like a 1/2 rating on yelp.

You still have to refer family and friends to them?

17. AFKBowflexing

AFKBowflexing Member

1) Not just anyone can get in. They contact clients, go through an interview process, etc.
    2) If you don't like the person, then don't refer people to them, just don't expect anything in return. If you're not passing any referrals at all to anyone, then expect to be booted, but if you decide you're not going to give some specific people any referrals because you don't like them for one reason or another, that's ok, just make sure you're ok with the same probable treatment from them.