1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you love, like, hate Howard Stern

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Jul 18, 2015.

?

What do you think of Howard Stern's Show

1. Love everything about it

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. Only Love his celebrity/musician interviews

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  3. Don't like him

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nobody misjudged Clay; he was a show pony with a fake, goofy persona that would have been satirically poignant on SNL in the '70s or Letterman/Groundlings in the early '80s, but was just escapist fodder for suburban pre-teens and dissipated once they all grew up.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What are you, gay. Oohh!

3. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Anybody who says Howard is gross is a moron and obviously doesn't listen to his show.

I voted love him. He's the greatest entertainer IMO.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, just not beholden to revisionist nostalgia from the most creatively vapid decade in the last half-century. Like all the doofuses complaining about their childhood being ruined anytime someone remakes a teen flick, or labels every marginally popular or serially re-broadcasted film from their teen years as a "classic."

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Best interviewer there is... and it's not even close.

I'm not a big fan of all the other stuff, but when he interviews people, I know it's going to be the most insightful interview we can possibly get.

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I don't hate him. I just don't give a s**t about him.

I.E. my view on him is "indifferent" or "meh" or "yawn". Same goes for 97% of all other TV personalities.

7. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

Howard Stern sold out. He became everything he made fun of back in the 90's. I guess NBC has put a lock on him and he no longer cares about his radio show anymore. Opie and Anthony was much better until Anthony got fired and now I don't have anything to listen to.

8. heypartner

NBC? He got fired from NBC in the '80s. What are you talking about? He is still on Sirius 100. Last I heard, SIRI is still a NASDAQ company not owned by NBC.

Sell out? The Dude has been going to work at 4:30 every day for over 25 years, and was a DJ longer than that. Give him a break. There is no more things for him to do other than interview the A-List celebs and musicians as he winds it down.

Please note, all other "TV Personalities" who do a talk show pre-record it at a comfortable time of day. Only Howard Stern goes live at 6am, having to get to work at 5. So what you want about his talent and show, but that is impressive.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I like Howard Stern a lot though I usually just YouTube interviews at this point. He gets fantastic guests and gets more out of them, both duration and content, then anyone else. He does a great job at making people feel comfortable and getting their guard down. The biggest knock on him is he tends to project his own neurosis on guests and occasionally talks over them but I'm sure no one else could do it as well as him. He's certainly gotten better as he's gotten older.

As an aside, can you listen to individual interviews or past shows anytime with a Sirius subscription? Seems like YouTube is getting cracked down on and I'd be willing to pay for them if possible.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Opie and Anthony had a somewhat difference premise for their show and had significantly less cache and no real aptitude for promoting or operating in mainstream media, which precluded them from being an automatic junket stop for A-listers who could otherwise handle the setting and temperament of the show. Being kicked off of rather than electively leaving terrestrial radio also hurt their credibility and draw. Furthermore Hughes had repeatedly complained about Cumia's detachment and relative lack of discipline, sadly he also confirmed that their off-air friendship ended well before the show had canceled.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

*before Cumia got fired.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think it's a little inaccurate to even label Stern as a TV personality, his actual forays into that medium have proven commercially insignificant, especially when compared to the market share and insane compensation that he and other big fish radio hosts get.

13. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

I'm talking about when he got hired by NBC to do AGT. Ever since he became an NBC employee, he has stop doing edgy material and had to censor himself. He sold out to the big corporation and I think the old Howard would have never done that. Either he was always a big phony or he has changed.

14. heypartner

Agree, hence my quotation marks alluding to a comment in a previous post by someone. Speaking of previous posts. I'm missing your Opie and Anthony reference. And Cumia. Guess I have to look that up

15. heypartner

Oh right. I think he quit though. But my point is you should give him a break. The last thing we should say about Howard after 30 yrs of being fired and fined is that he's a sellout. He's just simply taking it easy now and winding down his career with A-List only interviews. No more Jesus Twins doesn't mean he sold out.

16. heypartner

Yeah. If you buy Sirius all interviews are on-demand. You have to pay extra for Howard, though,,,the premium account

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Used to like him a lot and really liked Private Parts. Soured on him when he left his wife because it was so contrary to what I liked about him in the first place and haven't really heard much of him in a long time, maybe because I've never had satellite radio. My previous exposure to him was all on E!.

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I thought his show was funny. I use to watch it when I was in like 5th grade. I remember one skit, they had three people up there naked, one girl and two dudes, and asked a guest (forgot who) to guess which ass belonged to the girl. Was funny as ****. And Anna Nicole was always on there too. He's alright.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Keep fighting the good fight HeyP

1 person likes this.
  20. heypartner

When you have a small dick and have to go to sleep at 9:30pm every night, he becomes less attractive to some women. Makes sense he had a divorce once in his resume, see David Letterman.

imo...it is actually more telling of his legacy that he never let a woman change his schedule. See Beth.

fwiw: he put both E! and Sirius on the map. Their success was all him. When E! first approached him, they weren't available anywhere. You might be thinking of the radio show broadcast. There was something earlier than that called "The Howard Interview" show. They told his agent how much money they had for the "Howard Interview" show. His agent said, "Well, no one knows what E! is and can't get it on their cable channels anyhow...take your marketing and sales budget and double it and give it all to Howard and we will put you on the map.

Sirius went to school on that. They went from 400k subscribers to 2mil on the announcement itself. Now Sirius has 30mil subscribers.

#40 heypartner, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015