1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

2. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

So we basically have the same roster as last year, sans JSMOOVE and add Marcus Thornton...

Not gonna cut it.

If TJones and DMo are healthy its not that bad losing Smith, IF we can get another playmaker

UGH

3. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Alright for what? A first round exit?

4. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

i hope Morey has something up his sleeve, this hurts with DMo and Jones coming off injuries being question marks.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm really surprised

Now 2 big holes in PG and backup PF. I am terrified of having jones playing any important role on this team

6. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

He saved our bacon after D-Mo got injured and he single handedly won a playoff game for us, but I agree. We can't have that many sub .550 free throw shooters on our roster. He also made his share of bonehead plays.

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

ok now I'm not sure what Morey is up to..he sure better have a trick up his sleeve

8. JHL85

JHL85 Member

Good luck Josh! Tough loss to swallow but time to move on. Really hope DMo can stay healthy next year, then we won't miss a beat.

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

He was our 3rd best player when D-Mo injured himself lets admit it...

Can't believe he's gone. I'm pretty sure he wanted to stay but the Rockets told him to piss off/didn't offer a contract.

Now think of this: Next season both D-Mo & Jones are free agents.

Welcome your new starting PF: CHUCK HAYES

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

maybe nothing. flexibility FTW

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

ignorance

1 person likes this.
  12. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

13. TheresTheDagger

Suprised so many folks are upset. I liked Smith, but it's not like he was irreplaceable. His FT shooting and 3 pt shooting are horrible and he has a history of ball hogging.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked him in the Clippers and Dallas series but he kinda crashed to earth vs. the Warriors.

Plus, we are deep at the 3/4 position. I'm not that upset honestly.

1 person likes this.
  14. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Yea but we won soo ..

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Because Smith was better than Jones. Especially in the playoffs. And most especially when you factor in health. Shoot, Smith didn't just play in all 82 games last season, he actually played 83 because of the overlap in schedules with the Pistons and Rockets. Don't underestimate the importance of having a reliably healthy player at the 4 given what happened to D-Mo and Jones(never mind Dwight).

The other problem is we're now stuck with Jones. We can't trade him for help in the backcourt because that would leave us with a PF rotation of D-Mo(coming off back surgery), Harrell, and whatever washed up vets we pick up like Boozer.

Look, D-Mo, Jones, and Harrell(and even Boozer) is a decent rotation at the 4. But I'd much rather have Smith in place of Jones, trade Jones as part of a package for a guard, and put together a deeper, more well rounded roster. And I sure as hell don't wanna lose Smith to the team he helped us beat(barely) in the 2nd round.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Alan Williams time!!!

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Clippers??? sigh. The Rockets are going to miss him more than they think. But it is what it is
    ::shrug::
    on to the next one.

18. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

In all honesty, have you guys been to LA? it's an awesome place with perfect weather. I'd want to live there too.

19. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

The West is stacked with these two things: point guards and power forwards. We have neither, now... we're good at the 2 & 5, but no one can really guard the aforementioned positions as of now.

Hope something is in the works for a decent PG or someone to take the pressure off Harden. That's including Thornton on the roster.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If Jones can stay healthy what are you worried about. The team needs a playmaking PG period, losing Smooth hurts a bit cuz he was really their only playmaker behind Harden.