1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuggets considering WAIVING Ty Lawson?!?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by betterhomesbytj, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Because he doesn't think he fits on the Rockets is the primary reason

2. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Could the Rockets end up with both Josh Smith and Ty Lawson for pennies after their team doesn't want him? lol

3. betterhomesbytj

then we cant get josh smith

I would rather have josh smith than ty Lawson to be honest

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is a ploy to get a team to ante up in a trade. Either you trade with us or we release him and you lose him to another team.

Nuggets FO is some stubborn mofos.

5. mig0s

mig0s Member

couldn't the nugget just 'fire' him and not pay him since he had 2 DUIs?

6. s.b713

s.b713 Member

This clearly IMO. Denver playing games

7. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

He makes us a complete team top to bottom, and gives Harden that much needed help in the back-court he asked for, not to mention Harden hung out with him so he probably wants him here. I get the whole DWI thing but I doubt he does anything like this when he knows he will be on a team contending for the ship. In my mind he puts us over the Spurs and in the conversation with the Warriors to win it all. Please MOrey!!! Get er' done!!

8. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

This is hypothetical and probably against the rules.
    What if Morey contacted the Denver GM and talks him into buying out Lawson's contract so he goes into free agency instead of being picked up off of waivers. The GM tells Lawson they'll do this with a guarantee he lands in Houston rather than possibly ending on another crappy team. Then by doing this, Morey trades for Gallo over what his actual price would be. So for example if they were to trade for Gallo using Papa, Dorsey, Prigs, Jones.....instead they'd trade those players and also throw in a few picks or something.

Lawson/Bev/Terry
    Harden/Thornton/Johnson
    Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
    DMo/Gallo/Harrell
    Howard/Capela

7 guys on that roster can contribute 10-20 points per game. And then you have harden who can contribute 30. That's a deep team.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

How do waivers work? If I am not mistaken, a team picking him up off of waivers will owe him his entire salary, relieving the Nuggets of all financial obligations to Lawson? Would a team like the Lakers or the Knicks be willing to take that kind of financial risk on a guy who has had two DUI's in six months?

Would Hinkie pick him up off waivers and trade him to us for filler and second round picks? I bet he would. Of course, we'd still owe him that salary.

I'd be most interested in him clearing waivers and getting the MLE or less. I'm weary of committing that much cap space to a guy with three DUI's and a recent near miss on domestic abuse charges.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I believe that is how it works. If you pick him up off waivers, you pay his salary. If you wait until afterwards and just sign him outright, you owe him whatever you agree to pay him. Basically what happened with us and Josh Smith. No one picked up that huge contract off waivers, so he agreed to sign with the Rockets for a prorated 2 mil salary(or something close to that).

The two pertinent questions of course are A) would anyone pick up his contract off waivers and B) are the Rockets interested in taking a flyer if no one does?

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He may have violated his contract with this arrest. So, he may get nothing.

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Illegal Machine

Get John Lucas on the staff to mentor him.

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Hey Chris Mullin is a HOFer

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Basketballholic said he would be waived yesterday. He didn't know about the DUI coming but it appears as if this was just the final straw if he is in fact waived.

16. mightybosstone

I could be mistaken, but if the Nuggets waive Lawson, aren't the only eligible teams that could pick him up the teams that could sign him outright and still remain under the salary cap? I don't have every team's cap situation in front of me, but how many playoff caliber teams out there have have $12.4 million in cap space left?

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That's not how it works.The final step in the buyout process is waiving the player. So regardless of how a player is released, he always goes through the waiver proxess.

18. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

This guy had 9.6 Ast to only 2.5 TO last yr. Can get to the rim at will and is a decent 36% 3pt shooter. On offense a Harden/Lawson back-court would be a death-sentence for opposing teams! But then again I REALLY don't want to lose J Smoove if we have to use the MLE on Lawson. We need to move some bodies and clear some cap space, Morey work your magic!

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Calm down. They said considering

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

There is ZERO chance the Nuggets will actually waive him, barring something else happening or being revealed (ie... domestic violence charge or equivalent).