1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. PRaZe

PRaZe Member

I think we need someone who the Rockets can throw the ball down in the post if we can't get our guys open on the 3 point line or our guys can't penetrate the defense especially when Harden is on the bench. Sure he can't rebound but his more likely near the 3 point line than on the paint. Not all bigs are a shot blocker..

2. mercy road

mercy road Member

A very well reasoned post. I honestly am not sure how much importance to assign to a seven game series performance. You probably get about the same overall numbers from players analyzing their regular season performance against playoff teams. But I have not done that analysis so I do not know.

If DMo continues his three point shooting from the last three months of last season defenses will start closing on him much more aggressively beyond the arc. That, in turn, will open up drives to the basket where assist opportunities abound. It will warp the opponents defense's structural alignment, but certainly not to the extent of a player like Harden does. But players who can force the defense to shade hard to them generally become all-stars.

But honestly that is just speculation. But that is where I can see DMo's career trending.

But you nailed it on DMo in the post. When DMo starts demanding early doubles is when the Rocket's offense will really click. Defenses will never not shade hard towards Harden, and when they have to shade hard or double DMo in the post also the defense invariably breaks down. There will be players with 10 feet of space from the nearest defender around the arc. That is after all just a variant of the problems Durant and Westbrook create on offense.

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Any updates on health? Will he play opening night? I'm bout ready to seen den Lithuanian nuts dangle on the western conference

4. seeingred

seeingred Member

one of the insiders (either codman or cyberx) said his rehab was going slowly - not as well as expected. but no official word other than he's back on the court shooting.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really true, he's already posted video of himself back on the court shooting...and it was a while ago

6. mercy road

mercy road Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">And this is my first shot after injury ;) O tai mano pirmas metimas po traumos ;) <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rehab?src=hash">#Rehab</a> <a href="https://t.co/Gl0tt6RJjR">https://t.co/Gl0tt6RJjR</a></p>&mdash; Donatas Motiejunas (@DonatasMot) <a href="https://twitter.com/DonatasMot/status/613430067050487809">June 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Out of all the PF, DoMo is the best at boxing out. Jones is the worst.

9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Glazias

10. mercy road

mercy road Member

Why would you not accept the stated opinion by the affected player given that DMo is a pretty straight talker? You prioritize exactly the wrong sources.

11. PointZero

PointZero Member

The typical Montiejunas game consists of 12 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 blocks and no defense in 30 minutes of action. Slow-motion action as Montiejunas turns and throws up a finesse floater from 16 feet. Make or miss, that's his game. 12 points of offense.

Good numbers for your journeyman SF. Not quite the numbers you'd want from your PF, however.

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

You are tollin hard bro..and need I remind you my name is pen15clubber

13. mercy road

mercy road Member

You do not understand NBA defenses do you? Well I do. NBA defensive schemes are predicated on positional defense and making the correct switch when required. You obviously are a box score sort of guy. As Morey once said "The guy who invented box scores should just be shot." Blocks realistically are over rated by fans. Unless a player can actually deter shots like Howard and Jordan. Block attempts takes the player out of game action for over a second, and they certainly are not in position to rebound.

You perhaps should not pontificate on NBA defenses.

14. seeingred

seeingred Member

i posted both pieces information. order was random. pick out what you like.

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

DMo was our best defensive big..... He out hustles everyone and boxes his man out. The team rebounding is more important than a single rebounder. Blocks are a bad stat unless it's Hakeem or Timmy, most of the time a player whiffs a block and gives up an offensive rebound. On top of the fact that we have NO post play w/o DMo, and how many PF's this year grabbed 10 boards a game, can count them on 1 hand...

16. kevtse

kevtse Member

You should watch more Jeff Van Gundy's basketball, you will lunderstand more about what defense is. I remember JVG did mention Dmo is a good defender, if he say yes, he gotta be good on the defensive end.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Doctors said that rehab is going very well. Just want to say thanks to all the people who care about me! It's a good news!!!</p>&mdash; Donatas Motiejunas (@DonatasMot) <a href="https://twitter.com/DonatasMot/status/621028973431115776">July 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

18. nobie

nobie Member

So when will he start to actual real training instead of rehab to improve his game?? Like 1month or soon??

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Didnt say, but this seems like its based on today's medical report

Also, it looks like he is not taking it easy
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="lt" dir="ltr">Started working with pitshark <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rehab?src=hash">#Rehab</a> Best wishes! Prasideda darbas su svoriais. LinkÄ—jimai! <a href="http://t.co/5qjWv5HMzY">pic.twitter.com/5qjWv5HMzY</a></p>&mdash; Donatas Motiejunas (@DonatasMot) <a href="https://twitter.com/DonatasMot/status/619266556246237184">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

20. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

That's very nice to see. Wishing DMo a speedy and complete recovery! Hope he gets time to make some more improvements in his game during the off season as well.