1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 NBA Summer League: Rockets vs. Suns 7/12/2015

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Anyone else love that quick turn-around move in the low post by Harrell?

Also, I was interested to hear more about his personality. Bones talked about how was an "aloof" leader in Louisville and was generally an "intense young man". He even brought up how Harrell will get along with Dwight's personality.

Any Louisville fans want to elaborate on this?

2. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Anyone know what happened to lebryan Nash? Has was supposed to be on our SL roster.

3. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Rockets dropped him from the roster.

4. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Not a Louisville fan. But I know people (my ex and her friends) who went to Louisville and know some of the players. He's a fun personality. He's basically a shorter Dwight with a funnier voice.

5. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Cummings is quick and crafty with the ball. He's a true PG that set up other players and is quick enough to get past other players for the dish. His shot isn't there yet, but neither was Mike Conley's for the first 2-3 years in the league.

As for Harrell, he has a high motor and that's exactly what the Rockets need. Think Draymond Green. He may not be the biggest guy on the court but he's the first to dive on the floor, hustle back on defense, and get up in the face of opponents. What's not to like for a rookie? Good grief, some of you act like these players are supposed to play like all-stars. They're rookies!

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

If Cummings makes the roster we had a bad off season.

7. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

all I needed to know :grin:

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

LMAO!!

I love clutchfans! MFers on here are hilarious!

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I went to the game today. First thing you should know is that if you haven't gone to Summer league before, you really REALLY need to go. Incredible experience. It's so weird to just randomly bump into people like Vlade Divac in the parking lot, and you'll probably never get as close to the action on the court either. For the money, it's a steal. Make it happen.

As for the Rockets game, there was some good and some bad. I think it's going to be hard to keep Alan Williams off the final roster. He's an NBA quality player. He just has "it", and I think he's going to get better. He might start out in the D league, but he might also end up being the biggest surprise of the entire off season. I was disappointed not to see more time for Chris Walker. He and Christian Wood were on the court together for a short time, and I would love to see more of that. As for Christian Wood, I didn't think that he was moving particularly well today, but he played reasonably well just the same. He wasn't as fluid as I have seen in the past. I'm wondering if he might have an injury or something. All in all, a good game. Rice looks slow, but he is a pretty good scorer. I don't see him as an NBA player, but he will play professionally for a long time somewhere.

Not Rockets related, but I have a new favorite player. Huge goofy white guy for Golden State out of Xavier. Matt Stainbrook. He looks like the best player in an older man's YMCA league. This guy loves to party. You can just tell...

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he can be a 3rd string PG

11. Play07

Play07 Member

i didn't wanna get flame for posting it here but now I can

told my wife the same thing while watching the game, that's he remeninds me of a young underated Conley. she even said he has the best Pg handles she saw all yr from the rockets. I said he can't shoot but neiher could Conley.

I told her nick can play good D tho, her reply was well why we need a guy coming off the bench to play D at PG when we have bev.

But keep a eye on this guy Cummings, he made the right pass every play pretty much guys just weren't knocking down shots.

He went and stood in corner most of the time (our pg offense) wasn't forcing anything still finished with 7 assist.

Every time he had the ball things just calmed down on the floor.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

cummings seemed pretty crafty. getting a lot of those contact fouls vets in the NBA draw.

13. tomato

tomato Member

He just needs some practice to get back into the swing of things, have some goddamned patience Linda!!!!!

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Was also at the game. Flew in from DC. Agreed that summerleague is really special. Saw both Morey and McHale today; not to mention Scotty Brooks and others. Last time I met Tibadou and George Karl.

Have to admit, I was disappointed we rested our good players. It's very frustrating to fly in from the east coast to see our best young players in street clothes. The rockets need to do better. There's no way they were all hurt. I don't know what they are trying to do, but it's not fair to the fans. It's summerleague for Christ sake. What the hell are you resting them for?

Now the good stuff: couldn't agree more about williams. For me, it's that he finishes through contact better than most people I've seen. This kid will not be denied and he is an NBA player.

I also liked Kennedy. He just seems to do good things when he's on the court. Cummings has talent, but I'm far from sold. Wood is a long-term project; he's got the talent, but it would take at least two years before he's got a shot to be an NBA player.

Montez is going to be good. I think the Faried comparisons are legit. He's a good on the ball defender, but needs to work on his post D. He has the talent to become more like Gerald Wallace, but only time will tell. His wingspan completely negates his 6'8" height. I liked what I saw.

Glen rice. I'm sorry I just don't like this guy. Yeah he can shoot and he even surprised me by doing a few other things. But he doesn't play like he cares. He doesn't play D. He doesn't even hussel on the court. There's something not right there. Can't put my finger on it. Why is a 6'6" shooting guard with a great pedigree and shooting talent still not on an NBA roster? Watch the guy play.

All in all, I enjoyed watching us play. We've got a lot of talent on our scrub squad; I realy have to give our organization credit.

Let's hope they play the starters tomorrow against the raptors.

#174 Aruba77, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Let me rephrase that if we don't upgrade our backup point guard considerably and we ever have to use Cummings considerably this year we had a bad off season. We can do better than cummings as a 3rd string point. Prig is much better right now.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I agree with you. No way all those guys were hurt, my guess is that they want to see some of the other guys get some minutes and it's just easier to make that happen with fewer people on the bench. Regardless, it was a bummer not to see your better players, but I thought it was a great experience anyway.

The thing with Rice is that he's just flat out slow. I'm not sure he's not trying as much as he's just not quick. At all. That's the reason, in my mind, he's not going to be an NBA player. I do think he has enough of a skill set to play professionally, but probably not in the NBA.

17. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

It was a sexual joke...

18. tomato

tomato Member

WHAT? HOW?

19. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

How much is a ticket to SummerLeague?

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL at moving goal posts...