1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malakas

malakas Member

They also have to think hard if they want to keep Durant next year if they don't want to pay any tax.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

PG is an incredibly deep position around the league. Additionally, many of the few teams with cap space are in the "rebuilding" phase and would probably prefer to give their backup PG minutes/$$$ to a younger player with upside, as opposed to a known veteran like Augustin. The market to trade a guy like D.J. without taking back salary may not be as big as some of you think.

That said, my guess is the Rockets still have their sights a bit higher (via trade). But if they strike out on the bigger names, Augustin is certainly useful and a definite upgrade over the postseason roster/what's behind Beverley now.

3. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

Did you guys forget about nick johnson hes already a more atheltic beverley maybe beverley has more shot

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

That still leave Portland with 13m+ in cap space

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not on another team's roster, so Rockets fans won't hype him up.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just want you to know that it doesn't upset me that you are wrong. This isn't me correcting you out of spite.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/augusdj01/gamelog/2015/

He played something like 29 games for the Thunder last year and had a total of 3 games over 15 points (none of 20.) He only had 8 that were above 10 points.

He did have a stretch of games where he scored a lot but it was for Detroit.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If it were any other year, I could see OKC letting him go. But with Durant's impending FA, if they let their marquee addition walk for zero compensation, it would make them look so cheap that it would ruin any chance they ever had of retaining KD. I think they'll bite the bullet because Durant has them over a barrel.

8. malakas

malakas Member

or they can take on dj augustin and then trade him later in the deadline to some team like the Rockets taking back real asset like Harrell.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Would they have to worry about the tax once the cap goes up next summer? The real problem with matching the deal is that they may not have much room to improve in 2016 if/when Durant signs a massive new deal. That won't be an issue if the Thunder win it all(or get close) this season. But if they're first or second round fodder and OKC's front office can't convince Durant they can improve the team, then he could bolt.

I'd still match the deal though(after dumping salary). Better to worry about improving the roster in 2016 when the time comes rather than let it get worse now and have a PO'd Durant all season long.

10. malakas

malakas Member

repeater tax is not likely if the cap rises as much as it is rumoured. Already the cap rose 3 mil more than expected from 67 to 70. Better to pay tax now and show a sign of" i'm prepared to do whatever it takes" to Durant now and then you have 3 whole trade deadlines to get rid of some contracts to get out of repeater tax.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wish we could add Phoenix (Bledsoe) and Atlanta (Schroeder) to the list, both teams badly needing small forwards; but Phoenix is (pretending to be) adamant about not trading Bledsoe (lest they look like even more of a clown franchise) and Atlanta, I believe, won't deal Schroeder (unless it's for a prison-rape of a deal).

Boston has too many point guards, but they won't yield up Marcus Smart, and Morey has never showed interest in Isiah Thomas.

12. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Ah my bad. I was thinking of Detroit after Smith left and then even more when Jennings went down. Not Westbrook. Thanks for the correction.

13. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

It's so sad that we actually have to say this. But some people just don't get it, I guess.

14. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Jameer Nelson at vet min?

15. malakas

malakas Member

I know andy. That's why Im making so many posts right now making sure everyone who reads this thread is fully aware that OKC will not come running to Morrey's offer.
    It's not UP TO HIM. but you still see people whining all over the place.

16. count_dough-ku

Uh no. Let's not go after players even the Mavs didn't want anymore.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What kind of basketball world do we live in when Enes freaking Kanter and Reggie Jackson are getting max contracts and David West and Manu Ginobilli are on virtually vet min deals?

18. do work son

do work son Member

hey look, by waiting we can get augustin for dirt cheap!

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that David West is a pretty awful basketball player in 2015 right? He plays absolutely no defense and a large portion of his offense comes from long 2's.....why would 35 year old West get more than the vet minimum?

20. count_dough-ku

The kind of world where either Pop is the Ricky Roma of the NBA or there are some major under the table dealings going on in the Spurs organization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.