1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I don't think Morey will want to help this trade go through - although it is a win win. The Thunder either overpay or lose a good piece.

2. malakas

malakas Member

yes THANK YOU cyber for replying.

wow didn't expect Portland to max. OKC will match so they are doing it purely to force okc to pay so they can steal next year adams or mcgary

Guys ..does 17 mil looks a lot? YES it does NOW
    The rookie max for players drafted in 2013 will be 25 MILLIONS DOLLARS. do you understand that this is a new market?

3. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

The overpay is only luxury tax dollars though which mean nothing for the on-court team so I don't see why he wouldn't. It weakens their bench and strengthens ours.

Reports all say they'll match regardless so we may as well be opportunistic about it.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Me too. There is no excuse for Morey not to pursue that deal unless OKC simply refuses to deal with us(or someone makes a better offer). Papa is perfect since the Thunder can dump his salary. And Augustin would be a really good backup PG.

5. malakas

malakas Member

and tell me why would OKC decide to deal with the Rockets who are another contnder when there is Dallas a now tanking team that is no threat and would love to get some assets to be dealt later for other assets?
    Unfortunately our unguaranteed are not so much worth anymore.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Eh, i'm not too concerned with KJ anymore, i'm more concerned with re-signing Smith or even Terry at this point.

We can all agree that Harden and Ariza will be getting 35+ minutes, Brewer 25+ minutes per game right? What room does that leave for KJ? Absolutely none. KJ needs to be on a team where he will get minutes to develop, no point for us to pay him.

Terry on the other hand does not need any minutes, he stay on the bench for half the season, and when there's injury or foul trouble he will jump right in and contribute, because he's a vet. Terry can also play minutes at the PG, which is much needed for us right now. I say we should be more focused on re-signing Terry over McDaniels.

7. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Oh, they probably wouldn't. I was just saying it's a phone call I'd expect Morey to make today.

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Damn. Feels like he's gone.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DJ Augustine would be a nice get for Rox if they could snag it for cheap.

10. malakas

malakas Member

oh I'm 1000000% certain that Morrey will make the phonecall and will try to persuade because he's an active and good GM who is ready to get advantage of every opportunity to better the team.
    HOWEVER if he doesn't make it, noone here should blame him because it takes TWO TO TANGO.
    We have stupid people whining when they have no idea what is really going on behind closed doors and are attributing our inactivity to morrey being " a fat ass".

11. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

As much as I'd like to see KJ develop on this team, gotta agree with this. After picking Dekker we are even more loaded at wing. Also, it'd make a lot more sense to re-sign all the guys that helped us get to the WCF than overpay for a guy that didn't even contribute last year.

12. malakas

malakas Member

bballholic I told you he asked for the trade himself. They dealt away two forwards and now the team has only three forwards one of whom comes from an acl and the other one is a rookie. The team absolutely needs a forward. I don't get what they are doing but it seems small ball has lead teams to be prepared to come with 7 guards and only forwards nowadays.

13. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

DJ Augustin to backup!? For free.99? Yes, please.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean I'm not saying I would turn down a DJ Augustin trade if it were for free basically, but I won't get excited about it either.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What are you talking about!?!?! Don't you know that Rockets fans are supposed to be in awe about other team's garbage?

16. do work son

do work son Member

harden and ariza playing 35 minutes shouldn't be necessary. curry and thompson both played 32 minutes per game this season. why can't we rest ariza and harden more and play dekker and mcdaniels and develop them ourselves?

17. malakas

malakas Member

OKC will find other trading partners and they won't deal with Rockets if they can't avoid it. You DON'T help a rival fill their holes for FREE.
    Besides they won't even have to do it if they are prepared to pay. And since it's Durant's contract year they may ver well decide to show him they are prepared to pay whatever it takes to keep him and the team competitive.
    Durant right now sees teams like GSW and Cavs paying huge taxes.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Augustin is garbage? If I recall, that garbage lit up our current starting PG to the tune of 28 points in Detroit back in January. Bev was so badly outclassed that night that McHale benched him for Canaan who hadn't played in weeks. Then when he stunk up the joint, McHale resorted to a no PG lineup in the 4th rather than go back to Bev.

19. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Rockets could probably absorb Augustin and one of Novak or Jones and give up no assets beyond Papa's contract.

Augustin isn't near a perfect fit, but to get him without giving up any real assets is quite appealing. Augustin and Novak for Papa's NGC gets you a PG, who should be at least as good as any non big trade candidate (like Lawson or Lowry) and both he and Novak are expirings, so they come off the books for 2016 AND are additional salary during the season, which could help facilitate a PG upgrade during the season. The Rockets could even take Jones, too, by adding Prigioni to the deal, but he obviously holds a small guarantee, which might not be ideal for OKC.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Curry and Thomas play 32 minutes because they have Livingston, Barbarossa, Iggy coming off the bench last season.

We don't cut Harden and Ariza's minutes to develop rookies because we're trying to win and contend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.