1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign Corey Brewer to 3-year, $24M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2015.

1. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I see that. You are right.

2. Jmcballer88

My thing is Brewer really doesnt do anything extremely well and gets paid almost the same as Trevor. At least Trevor is a lock down defender.

Brewer looks so awkward dribbling the ball and I witnessed him in the western conference finals blow layup after layup. Everyone stop being biased and look at the bigger picture.

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I don't think you understand how appreciation of value works in closed economies like the NBA.

If you buy a house for $100k last year and then someone buys the same kind of house next to you for $180k this year, that doesn't mean your house is worthless than your neighbors. Just that you bought in before the market shifted. Ariza is grossly underpaid now in this market. Some ridiculous deals (like parsons) will be fair value next year.

4. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

You obviously have no grasp about how bball is played nor how we use brew. Brew does do one thing at an elite level and that is he plays with energy and brings a pace off the bench that leads to many transition opportunities. Is he Magic Johnson leading the showtime lakers on a fast break? Hell no. But is he a bench guy that could start in a pinch who can give quality minutes? Absolutely. 8 mil per for 3 years isn't a steal, which ariza is by the way, but it is def not a terrible contract. He can completely change the dynamic of a game by running hard as we saw many times last season. People are going to have to come to grips with the market. Didn't you see one leg Wes get 52 mil or hell even rondo got close to 10 per. Freaking Kyle singler got 5 per. Take off the hater shades.

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

The contract is higher than I expected.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's all about timing. Brewer has the good luck of becoming a free agent in 2015 when 1) everyone is expecting a huge raise in cap space and 2) everyone wants athletic "3-and-D" wing guys because the Warriors won the title going small ball. Trevor Ariza is unfortunate that he isn't a free agent this summer.

The bottom line is that under current circumstances, assuming Brewer stays healthy and in shape, this contract can be traded fairly easily and probably for value if need be. Somebody will want a athletic "energy guy" who can run the court, shoot some 3s, slash to the basket and go for steals.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Where were you when Brewer were winning us a number of games during the regular and at least one or two in the postseason.

Haven't you heard energy/effort is a skill?

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Methinks you're the one failing to see the bigger picture here. Ariza's contract was a steal. Highway robbery. It was already fantastic in the context of last season, and it will look better and better and better as time goes on, especially with the cap increasing. Know who else is getting paid about the same as or even more than Ariza after deals made this summer? Al-Farouq Aminu. Thad Young. Arron Afflalo. Using Ariza's deal as a measuring stick relative to others is already starting w/ a flawed premise, because it's a relative outlier.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good news! We beat a heck of a lot of teams last season, in my opinion, by throwing wings at them in waves, killing them in transition, getting steals, simply running them into the ground. Brewer was a big part of that, once he got here. A terrific part of the bench brigade, and from time to time he gets hot with his shot. We still have to see what happens to the other cats in limbo.

Now, if only we could find a point guard. One who can create enough to give Harden a breather, who can hit some threes and D-up his counterpart. That would be nice.

edit: Just saw we resigned Beverley!

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There are not a lot of bench players in this league who could give you 12/4/2 in 25 minutes.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

lol @ jmcballer getting destroyed in this thread.

12. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Brewer being clutch even during the offseason

13. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Very happy to have Brew back, we need veterans like him. Ariza's shooting became more consistent when Brewer came on board allowing him to rest.

Add a back up point who can create and shoot and we are poised for a real shot at it all in 15/16 season

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Has there been a contract handed out to anyone in the last few days that wasn't higher than you expected?

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

How much are they really giving up when taking Texas's no state income tax to Cali's? Higher cost of living in sacramento too.

16. Jmcballer88

Thank you for at least having a discussion without having to bring me down like most of the other immature posters. I have my own opinion and I don't think brewer moves the needle for us. We were a lot worse than the warriors and are missing a secondary creator.

Also I agree Carl.. And @jaycow92 I wish I could be you when I grow up total badass man

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Re-signing Brewer doesn't prevent us from getting a secondary creator, though. And as someone pointed out, it's not like we could have just taken the money we gave to Brewer and/or Bev and thrown it at someone else. It's always been most likely that we acquired our secondary creator via trade (except for the possibility of getting Llull for the MLE, which obviously didn't pan out) -- that hasn't changed. It's been 3 days. Give it a little time before you freak out.

18. kevtse

kevtse Member

Bev, Brewer, Harrell, three pit bulls coming off the bench, watch out!!

19. Mattician

Mattician Member

The Rockets will still have a pretty good fast break team.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

But low when you consider the coming cap increase.