1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sources: Aldridge to start free agency with Lakers, Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, Jun 30, 2015.

1. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

I made a big mistake. That I regret making and people got mad at me. You can trust me man.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Ramona made no mention of the Rockets meeting tonight. Mentioned LA and everyone else tomorrow.

3. Dream Shake 81

Can you imagine Pops face when he finds out he not the first meeting?!
    - I think that's ideal for the Rox, but who knows what's happening.. We will find out soon enough.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Your numbers aren't even right.
    Before you get too high and mighty, at least get the numbers right??

Of the players you mentioned
    Papanikolaou 4.85
    Jones 2.49
    Prigioni 1.73

= 9.07 million (which would work as a trade for a $13m player)

In terms of getting to 14m (to trade for a 19m player) one could add:
    Motie 2.28
    Capela 1.24
    Dorsey 1.02
    Johnson 0.84

= 14.45

So it COULD be done without Ariza.
    More likely that we would involve another team to 'trade up' our salaries, and then immediately flip those players for Aldridge.

5. rjr

rjr Member

I'm not very knowledgeable about nba rules, so this is just a question I'm hoping someone here can answer for me. Could the Rockets offer Aldridge a 2 year back loaded contrac similar to what they gave Lin so Aldridge can get paid his worth since the cap baloons next year, and then sign a longer deal?

6. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

I'm sure the rockets can... but why on earth would LMA take a back loaded deal? If he desires anything short term I'm sure it would be a 1+1 max deal.

7. dlite316

dlite316 Member

I am not saying Houston is the favorite to sign LA, but I do believe we have a better chance than Lakers.
    As you said LMA can play in a city he wants and make a lot of money, and Houston is one of those cities. LMA likes Texas and Houston is in Texas and very close to where his son lives-SA.
    It is fair to believe LMA is not all for money because Portland offers the most money. Therefore, I assume LMA wants to win RIGHT NOW. Portland, LA, and Dallas can not give LMA that. Sure the Spurs can.
    If LMA chooses LA, I will be happy as LA and Portland are not contending in AT LEAST TWO YEARS. Spurs with LMA = favorite to win the West.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No.

He is capped at 4.5% raises. Back loaded deals only work in very rare situations.

9. dlite316

dlite316 Member

It is a thread abt LMA.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Seems like the Rockets got put into a crappy time slot. It's rather late even in the West Coast.

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I'm imagining money whipping out the power point and harden with his hood up texting in the corner and Dwight making super obnoxious jokes and making lma's mom laugh her ass off while playing with Legos in the opposite corner. Drexler greets lma but calls him Marcus

12. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Ramona doesn't like the Rockets ... :rolleyes:

13. rjr

rjr Member

Thanks for the reply bro didn't know how this worked.

14. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

"Trading up" salaries is not going to work, since players acquired in a trade cannot be aggregated with others for two months.

However, utilizing one of Jason Terry, Corey Brewer or Patrick Beverley in a simultaneous sign-and-trade could easily add the $5.3M necessary. If an LMA sign-and-trade does occur, I would highly expect this to be the way that the transaction occurs. Particularly with Beverley, the team who is interested in him as an RFA such as the Knicks is incentivized to participate, since it removes the 3-day waiting period where cap space is taken up. It's probably not a surprise that the Rockets are also trying to iron out a contract with Brewer tonight; getting an idea of the number he wants, as well as the other teams he's interested in would allow the Rockets to work on arranging a 3-team deal.

2 people like this.
  15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this idea posited. So there is a way we could trade for LMA without losing Ariza. Good, creative thinking. Well done.

16. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Now this is getting me excited....

So There is a way to field a starting lineup of

Lull
    Harden
    Ariza
    LMA
    Howard
    While still having a bench that includes Dmo capela. I assume we can Add Tjones in that deal to sweeten the deal for the team helping us out?

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ah yes, of course! I forgot about the 'no packaging thing' - we COULD 'trade up' for a $14m-ish player who is immediately flipped - but I suppose that would most likely work equally well as a 3 team trade.

Thanks for the further info!!

18. zmomin

zmomin Member

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'd be fairly sure both of DMo and TJo would be gone if we got Aldridge? Someone would want to get some talent back somewhere?? We would most likely try to hold on to Capela for his rim protection, JSmoove would get the bulk of the 4/5 minutes alongside Howard and Aldridge. Harrell would be developed I suppose?

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Ramona is a fat cow that reports/reported for ESPN LA. She is awful. I've never seen a supposed national broadcaster more bitter over something then how she responded when Dwight left them. Her opinion is worthless.